Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 22:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 81  Next
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:36 

So, if I put 1600x1200 for my 1920x1200, and use that FOV trick...it should give me the correct view right?

Yep, Just select the 4:3 resolution that closely matches your LCD's max vertical resolution.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:38 

Anyone know what the default FOV is? I thought I read 60 somewhere.....

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:39 

I don't see the issue.

If the game was developed 16:9 (which I'm sure it was), then the shipping 16:9 FOV is what they intended, and the 4:3 version is simply "vert+", in the nomenclature of this forum. It's not unlike Super35 in film, where the 4:3 version often has more information on the top an bottom than the 1.85:1 version does.

Doing comparisons between the two versions isn't really meaningful. If the 16:9 FOV isn't to your liking, then that's your issue. What Irrational (sorry, 2K Boston, ugh) decided to do for the 4:3 version is pretty immaterial, right?

http://images.pikapuff.com/games/bioshockws.png

Now, keep in mind there are people with a TH2G that play at 3840x1024...

What those players now would basically see is just the crotch of the figure on the right... They basically would lose the top third of that picture, and the bottom third...

They would not see the figure's head, the feet, nor the "ticket" sign, nor the blood on the ground...

Their view would be very, very much zoomed-in...

(interesting that the "bioshock widescreen" on also lose the "ticket" sign, for the most part...)

To understand what a TH2G user will see, look at the "normal standard" shot, and realize that while their width of their screen will go from red line to red line, the top of their screen will start where the top-most bullet hole is on the left, and the bottom of their screen will be at the bottom-most bullet hole that is INSIDE the red lines...

TH2G users will be WILDLY looking up/down just trying to get an idea of what their surroundings are...

Does this make more sense now?

And if you don't know what TH2G is, then please look around the forums for examples...

Actually, there's a previous post in this thread itself that shows off 4:1 versus 4:3... Now if that 4:1 image is just a zoom of what you see in the 4:3 image, that can't be right, no?

Here's the image for reference:

Attachment:
FOV-t.jpg
FOV-t.jpg [ 38.85 KiB | Viewed 1204 times ]

The whole problem is FOV, which when all resolutions have the H-FOV, something's wrong!!!

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:41 
Founder
Founder

Stop posting those overlays, they're totally wrong.

Matter of fact, pictures taken with a digital camera seem to show a clear width gain and height loss with 16:9 settings as it should be.

Thx Lefty42o from neogaf.

Sorry for my poor english, but i just wanted to point it out. =)

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:41 
Editors
Editors

The temp fix didn't work for me ... :(

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:44 
Founder
Founder

i think people expected it when the developers told us to.

Where? Citing (and linking) a source where thay explicitly state that the 16:9 AR will be wider than the 4:3 one would be nice.

And, no: A generic statement like "of course it will be designed for widescreen" won't do. It is quite possible (probable even?) that it is, and that the taller 4:3 ratio is the best way to convert from the 'proper' 16:9 ratio.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:44 

Matter of fact, pictures taken with a digital camera seem to show a clear width gain and height loss with 16:9 settings as it should be.

Thx Lefty42o from neogaf.

Sorry for my poor english, but i just wanted to point it out. =)

He clearly isnt in the same position, this comparison is moot. Direct captures will always show whats going on versus shots off a television.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:45 
Editors
Editors

Your opinion ... we don't think they are "totally wrong" ... :wink:
Those with a brain do understand them.

BTW ... welcome to the WSGF ... :D

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:53 
Editors
Editors

[quote]i think people expected it when the developers told us to.

Where? Citing (and linking) a source where thay explicitly state that the 16:9 AR will be wider than the 4:3 one would be nice.

And, no: A generic statement like "of course it will be designed for widescreen" won't do. It is quite possible (probable even?) that it is, and that the taller 4:3 ratio is the best way to convert from the 'proper' 16:9 ratio.Here ... http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659

Fourth post by - Chris Kline, Lead Programmer, Bioshock

You will see more in widescreen. We use a different projection matrix; there is no squashing or stretching of the image involved.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:57 

i have been messing with the FOV edit and it doesnt seem to do any thing for me atlest

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 81  Next