Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 20:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2006, 14:28 
Editors
Editors

Just trying to help. ;)

Weird... I don't get that...

I avoided the threading tweaks because the game crashed when I used 'em. It was supposed to work on single core CPUs, but doesn't really...

Try GridsToLoad=7 or something like that. It has to be an odd number, though...

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2006, 14:31 
Editors
Editors

If I use the uNumDepthGrids=3 set at 1 ... then I don't get the circle thing but the reflections are still wrong and the edge of the water looses it's semi-transperent effect .... :?

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006, 04:25 

I get the jumps and stutters even at 1024x768 ... :shock:
and ... EVERY other game I play at 1920x1200 with everything at maximum has none of this ... it is the game ...

Yes, I can turn all my settings down and run through a dungeon and still get some stutters. It's just the way Bethesda makes their games. I remember when I built my AMD 3500+, 2gb RAM, 256mb 7800GTX last summer... and Morrowind still had jumps and stutters. Granted, most of the game ran butter-smooth, but there were occasional points where the game hiccuped a bit.

But even at ragged (>15fps) framerates in heavy grass during combat, I can still play Oblivion with little trouble.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006, 08:05 
Editors
Editors

I get stutters and jumps even when my frame rate is over a 100 fps ... :shock: :?

The way the distant textures looked were very distracting and probably my biggest problem with the game ... but now I have done this ... 8)
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/6246

... it is very playable ... but ... I still get the annoying popping/loading of objects as you get near to them.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006, 08:06 

It has problems with the X2 chips, theres multiple things you can do....check the forums, fix's are floating around (stuttering issue)

Supposedly some stuttering can be also accounted to some weird sound driver glitch.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006, 08:12 
Editors
Editors

I'm sure your right ...
I have tried many many of the tweaks ... but none of them really make a difference ... I shall wait for an official patch.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2006, 08:55 
Editors
Editors

Hi Guys ...
I finally got my game running without all the jumps and stutters ... 8)
Without lowering the quality... apart from the Grass Density ... and in some instances I was able to improve the image quality over and above the defaults ... :D
It took me a couple of hours of testing each variable ... but it was worth it in the end ... :lol:

Here is the Tweak Guide I used and the best Tweak Guide site out there ...
http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

I posted this in another thread but thought that most of you guys might like this info too ... 8)

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2006, 21:46 

Nice one paddy :wink:

Good to see youve got the game working well at last! :D

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2006, 06:06 

Good to hear Paddy. I just ordered my new parts off Newegg and they'll be here tomorrow afternoon. I ended up with the X2 4800+ and 2GB of ram with one 7800GTX 256MB KO Edition. I'll be getting another 7800GTX soon, but I just wish Newegg had the damn 512's instock for the 7800's. I'd have gotten them.

Paddy, since you have one rig with 7800's and one with 7900's. Is there a big difference? I've read up and there was said to not be much, but nobody really touched on the whole 256MB versus 512MB. I'm sure that helps a LOT in Oblivion because of all the shit being loaded to your ram.

EDIT: I guess I got a question for you Paddy. What kind of FPS do you get outdoors with everything max (obviously) and @ 1920x1200 with your main setup? And how about on your secondary (the one with 7800's)? Cause without tweaking my friend with his X2 4800+ and dual 7800's got complete garbage FPS outside @ 1920x1200.

Also do you think the extra 256MB on each card is worth the extra 100 bucks a piece? I mean I would think it would make a world of difference in the load times for games that can use it like Doom 3 and whatnot. I mean I remember back in the day when Doom 3 came out I saw there was "Ultra-High" settings which said you needed a 512MB videocard for it to work right. It's been years and now finally things are moving up to 512MB... Least from what I've seen :)

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2006, 13:29 
Editors
Editors

Hi guys ..
This is a hard one to answer as I the FX-55 system isn't built yet ...
I have explained in the "Insiders" a little while ago ...
BIG problems but I'm getting there ...
I only had a 480W PS ... it was supposed to be 580 ... :? ... I didn't notice that what was delivered (a year ago) was wrong ... :oops:

Blown ... 480W-Tagan SLi
Blown ... Athlon 64 FX-60
Blown ... Asus A8N Deluxe SLi
Blown ... bottom 512Mb 7800 - XXX

All under warranty so all new replacements ... 8)

... and I decided to upgrade ... :roll: ... GRAW will be worth it ... I hope ... :shock:
... so I had a whole load of "spare" bits and decided to make a system out of them ... :D
... so I now have three systems ... :shock: :lol: :shock: ... see below ...

The SLi's aren't built yet ... using the Parhelia system at the moment.
When the TripleHead2Go comes out in May I'll use the three 19" tft's with one of the SLi systems ... and let my sister have the old P4 - Parhelia.

So at this point I have the just the FX-60 and the Parhelia systems ... so I haven't tested or seen Oblivion on the FX-55 system.

That said ... after doing some testing with the FX-60 system ...

1920x1200 2xAA ... everything at max plus a few graphics enhancements but with a 120 setting for the grass density ...
Wandering around the countryside with my horse and pet dog in tow ... anything from 30fps in heavily wooded areas ...to 45+fps in more open countryside.
As you can imagine it's not "butter smooth" if I get into a fight in heavily wooded areas ... :roll:
Indoors anything from 50fps to well over 150fps

1920x1200 No AA but with HDR ... everything at max plus a few graphics enhancements but with a 120 setting for the grass density ...
I get a few more fps ... but I think HDR looks crap and I would much rather have the 2xAA.
BTW ... I just found out that my high res textures look crap with HDR ... you are better off using the original shaja textures as mine become too bright with HDR.
I have put a note to this effect in my post about the textures.

So it's not perfect ... I hope there will be a patch that optimises for SLi and/or dual core ... or may be new "optimised drivers" from Nvidia.
When COD 2 and Quake IV were optimised for dual core my fps went up big time ... :D

Interestingly ... I don't see a great deal of difference in frame rates if I run it at 1680x1050 ... but it does seem a bit smoother ...
Running at 1440x900 gives me up to 10fps more and again it seems smoother ... of course it looks a little soft ... but a lot better than I thought it would look.

Once I have the FX-55 system with the 7800's up and running I'll do some comparison tests for you with the same ini file etc. ... it will be interesting to see what difference the 7900's and the FX-60 make. I know the FX-60 alone made a huge diffrence in the 3D Mark scores over the FX-55 ... I can't remember exactly what and I lost the scores when the PS blew ...

As to whether the extra bucks for better cards is worth it ... I think so but I can afford it ...
I want the fastest cards I can get ... every extra helps when running such high resolutions that comes with widescreens.
I can afford them so I get them ... as soon as Quad SLi gets more established I'll upgrade to that too along with a PhysX card.

BTW ... here in England I was able to get the 7900's a little cheaper than the cost of the 7800's (when I bought them ... of course the price has dropped now) ... and I hear that they are dropping the 7800 512MB from there range if not all 7800's ... :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next