Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 22:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 81  Next
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:58 

Stop posting those overlays, they're totally wrong.

Matter of fact, pictures taken with a digital camera seem to show a clear width gain and height loss with 16:9 settings as it should be.

Thx Lefty42o from neogaf.

Sorry for my poor english, but i just wanted to point it out. =)

Okay, both the 4:3 and 16:9 pics show the top showing the same thing...

But the 4:3 pic looks like you are five feet further away!

The rock at the bottom of the screen in the 16:9 shot is ABOVE the "still" box in the 4:3 pic! COME ON!

The brown box above the "still" box in the 4:3 display is to the side of the "still" box in the WS display!

All of those objects should stay at the same spot, which just more drawn off to the left and right...

Even if you are just standing at different spots (making a comparison harder anyway), then why is it in the WS view I cannot see my wrist tattoo, but you can in the SD shot? (obvious that the WS bottom of the screen is cut-off compared to the SD shot... which is the whole problem!)

Or is this just an attempt as shens???

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 22:03 

The temp fix didn't work for me ... :(

hmm me too.. There. Has. To. Be. A. Way.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 22:09 
Founder
Founder

Fourth post by - Chris Kline, Lead Programmer, Bioshock

You will see more in widescreen. We use a different projection matrix; there is no squashing or stretching of the image involved.

Thanks!

I yield, it's a fair cop.

Still, it doesn't exclude the possibility that the current 16:9 mode is like they always intended it to be and that they changed their approach to how they implemented the 4:3 mode.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 22:10 

I know it's not an immediate fix, but I'm sure at this point, 2K will issue a patch for it. It's picked up way too much steam from not only the PC community but it's also an issue on the Xbox 360. I have no idea what time frame could or should be on it, but it'll be fixed.

And I REALLY hope that all of this to-do about Bioshock not supporting TRUE wide screen is a wake-up call to the rest of the developers that there are TONS of people out there who care about having this support in games. Like others have said, it's 2007, and wide screen monitors and TV's are NOT that hard to come by anymore. This should be standard in every game by this point. I hope a big-name game like this having the problem and the community having this much of a problem with it make wide screen gaming more of a standard than some sort of a high end option, or whatever. It should be standard, period.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 22:14 
Editors
Editors

Still, it doesn't exclude the possibility that the current 16:9 mode is like they always intended it to be and that they changed their approach to how they implemented the 4:3 mode.
Then why is there a tattoo on your characters wrist that you can't see in widescreen ? ... :wink:

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 22:16 

[quote][quote]i think people expected it when the developers told us to.

Where? Citing (and linking) a source where thay explicitly state that the 16:9 AR will be wider than the 4:3 one would be nice.

And, no: A generic statement like "of course it will be designed for widescreen" won't do. It is quite possible (probable even?) that it is, and that the taller 4:3 ratio is the best way to convert from the 'proper' 16:9 ratio.Here ... http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659

You will see more in widescreen. We use a different projection matrix; there is no squashing or stretching of the image involved.

But isn't that technically accurate?

They zoomed-in, instead of squashing or stretching...

(squashing or stretching to me means that both the 4:3 and 16:9 image show the same H/V FOV, but that one of the FOVs got squashed/stretched to accomplish it, which technically, they didn't do...)

http://images.pikapuff.com/games/bioshockws.png

like in the above pic: nothing was squashed/stretched, just zoomed...

if you take 1920x1080, and make it 4:3 with the vertical identical you get 1440x1080... now make that 16:9 with the width the same and you get 1440x810...

Now, 1920/1440=1.34, take 810x1.34=1080

It is just a 1.34 zoom of both X and Y...

So, zooming 1440x810 to 1920x1080 does NOT result in any stretching/squashing of anything...

So, technically what he said does appear to be accurate...

Maybe asking H+ versus V- would be the better question next time?

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 22:18 

[quote][quote][quote]i think people expected it when the developers told us to.

Where? Citing (and linking) a source where thay explicitly state that the 16:9 AR will be wider than the 4:3 one would be nice.

And, no: A generic statement like "of course it will be designed for widescreen" won't do. It is quite possible (probable even?) that it is, and that the taller 4:3 ratio is the best way to convert from the 'proper' 16:9 ratio.Here ... http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659

But isn't that technically accurate?

They zoomed-in, instead of squashing or stretching...

(squashing or stretching to me means that both the 4:3 and 16:9 image show the same H/V FOV, but that one of the FOVs got squashed/stretched to accomplish it, which technically, they didn't do...)

http://images.pikapuff.com/games/bioshockws.png

like in the above pic: nothing was squashed/stretched, just zoomed...

if you take 1920x1080, and make it 4:3 with the vertical identical you get 1440x1080... now make that 16:9 with the width the same and you get 1440x810...

Now, 1920/1440=1.34, take 810x1.34=1080

It is just a 1.34 zoom of both X and Y...

So, zooming 1440x810 to 1920x1080 does NOT result in any stretching/squashing of anything...

So, technically what he said does appear to be accurate...

Maybe asking H+ versus V- would be the better question next time?

the the FOV needs to be wider and its not and so far no work around well... works

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 22:19 

actually it does exclude the possibility. since they stated you will see more, and we dont. we actually see less. unless you mean they intended to mislead or lie.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 22:20 

Are you sure that fix didn't work, or that you applied it correctly, it's changing the FOV for me...

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 22:21 

Are you sure that fix didn't work, or that you applied it correctly, it's changing the FOV for me...

take a screen shot
what you should get is a 4:3 screen that looks 'fish-eyed' if it works and its not working

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 81  Next