Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 Oct 2024, 19:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: GTA IV and more and more
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 15:33 
Editors
Editors

I hadn't realized that bench was so short and returning so minimal info on the framerate...
Average SLI gain though moderate is noticeable at 1680, not at 5040 - although usually the higher the res, the heavier the load on the graphics, hence the better the gain in SLI... Since GTA4 seems so CPU-bound, partly because of the AI, could this be one of these games where the FOV has a greater impact on performance than the res alone ? I mean, in surround, you see lots more people/cars at the same time than on a single screen. So the CPU would limit performance before the GPU, which reduces average SLI gain. Hmm, I hope Ibrin will eventually add GTA4 to his Benchmarking Suite ;)

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 16:07 

Well I decided to get it cuz though I have an ancient rig now, I'll build a new one in a few months. I'm only averaging about 10 FPS in the day, and as much as 15-17 at night. What's weird is I played the 1st 10% of the game thinking it would turn into a slide show with anything but the lowest settings but bumping texture and render to Medium didn't drop FPS at all. I know it sounds strange when I say it's not really a slide show at 10 FPS, but it really is playable enough and the audio sounds normal. Right now I'd kill for an uber rig that would get me 3-5 times those frame rates though.

The only technical problem I've really had so far is I can't play pool because the lamp above the pool table doesn't shine onto the table. It looks bright like a lamp but like it's missing texture or something. Anyone else have this problem? I'm about to install patch 1.1, and in the release notes I think there's something about correcting shadow problems that X1900 series cards have (mine's a X1950Pro). This seems to be more of a light entity problem though.

It's a pretty cool game. I love the built in video capture feature. I used it in one of my fave spots where I hole up and try to survive as long as I can after building up cop heat. It's the top of the towers at Meadows Park. It's quite a battle to take on all the cops coming up the ladder and the heli with no assault rifle or armor.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2008, 12:20 
Editors
Editors

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2008, 23:57 

Wow, your GTA IV looks a lot better than my GTA IV. Maybe I got a bad copy. LOL

Seriously though, nice system thales, but what display and res are you playing at and what's your ave FPS in GTA IV? The only thing I noticed concerning image quality is you could use a bit more AA.

I see you are using the Razer Barracuda AC1 sound card, it's the one I may go with on my next build.

I've spoken with the Razer guys at length and one thing I liked was they said they work closely with Nvidia to make sure their card works with Nvidia video cards. I was a bit upset that they couldn't tell me whether it works with Fraps though. They promised they'd ask the engineers and email me back. That was over a month ago and still no response.

How do you like the Barracuda so far? Any problems at all or games it has issues with? Can you tell me if it works with Fraps to record audio OK with no audio/video sync problems?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 00:56 
Editors
Editors

Wow, your GTA IV looks a lot better than my GTA IV. Maybe I got a bad copy. LOL

Seriously though, nice system thales, but what display and res are you playing at and what's your ave FPS in GTA IV? The only thing I noticed concerning image quality is you could use a bit more AA.

I see you are using the Razer Barracuda AC1 sound card, it's the one I may go with on my next build.

I've spoken with the Razer guys at length and one thing I liked was they said they work closely with Nvidia to make sure their card works with Nvidia video cards. I was a bit upset that they couldn't tell me whether it works with Fraps though. They promised they'd ask the engineers and email me back. That was over a month ago and still no response.

How do you like the Barracuda so far? Any problems at all or games it has issues with? Can you tell me if it works with Fraps to record audio OK with no audio/video sync problems?

lol , 22" 1680 x 1050, 30 - 65 FPS. No AA, since GTA 4 doesnt support it.
Razer Barracuda is awesome, youll love it, its a "plug and play" card , no issues, no special adjustments or occasional irritations - FRAPS gets it automatically, i recommend you to use the HP-1 headphone also, youll be surprised with what you can have from this system, i played some games again just to enjoy the fantastic sound experience the razer barracuda provides. 10/10

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 04:46 

Since GTA4 seems so CPU-bound, partly because of the AI, could this be one of these games where the FOV has a greater impact on performance than the res alone ? I mean, in surround, you see lots more people/cars at the same time than on a single screen. So the CPU would limit performance before the GPU, which reduces average SLI gain.

AI and everything keeps going if they are not on your screen.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 09:11 

lol , 22" 1680 x 1050, 30 - 65 FPS. No AA, since GTA 4 doesnt support it.
Razer Barracuda is awesome, youll love it, its a "plug and play" card , no issues, no special adjustments or occasional irritations - FRAPS gets it automatically, i recommend you to use the HP-1 headphone also, youll be surprised with what you can have from this system, i played some games again just to enjoy the fantastic sound experience the razer barracuda provides. 10/10
Hmmm, didn't know that about the AA. Why don't you just set it in your video card panel and make a profile to launch the game that way then? You have plenty of FPS overhead to afford it.

Yeah the Barracuda sounds like maybe the best gaming card. The thing with the headphones is though I already have a pretty good pair of Sennheisers and I don't like the on ear type. Mine don't press on my ears, they're big enough to surround them. I get pain from the kind that don't.

Thanks for the info, give that AA a shot through your GPU control panel, I'm sure it will probably work.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 11:25 
Insiders
Insiders

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14500

Best sound quality. :) There's a newer version than what's listed there, too.

[quote]Since GTA4 seems so CPU-bound, partly because of the AI, could this be one of these games where the FOV has a greater impact on performance than the res alone ? I mean, in surround, you see lots more people/cars at the same time than on a single screen. So the CPU would limit performance before the GPU, which reduces average SLI gain.

AI and everything keeps going if they are not on your screen.

Not entirely true. GTA automatically discards a lot of what can't be seen. It's done this in previous GTA games and in GTA IV, as well. If you are standing still and looking around, you'll see the same things. If you start moving in a certain direction, though, it will automatically remove people, vehicles, etc. that are in the opposite direction that you're headed. It has certain cases where it does and does not do this. It also uses this for spawning in AI. You can look down a road and not see any vehicles at all. Turn around and walk the opposite direction and then cars will magically appear in the direction that none were. GTA is really efficient in the way it streams in data.

However, in the case of FOV, it probably won't make much of a difference because a wider FOV will still have the characters in your general "forward" direction, so they will be drawn, even if off-screen. There's still a certain range in which it streams that data in, too.

The best thing to do to lower CPU load is drop vehicle density down to 1 or something. Sure, you'll see a lot less cars, but that's a lot less AI the CPU has to control.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 11:35 
Editors
Editors

Hmmm, didn't know that about the AA. Why don't you just set it in your video card panel and make a profile to launch the game that way then? You have plenty of FPS overhead to afford it.

Yeah the Barracuda sounds like maybe the best gaming card. The thing with the headphones is though I already have a pretty good pair of Sennheisers and I don't like the on ear type. Mine don't press on my ears, they're big enough to surround them. I get pain from the kind that don't.

Thanks for the info, give that AA a shot through your GPU control panel, I'm sure it will probably work.

Hey, no it doesnt work, no way to "force" AA, there is simply no support, this has been discussed with Rockstar too, no way.
With the Razer HP-1 headphones you could enjoy the digital connection to the AC-1, what improves a lot the performance and quality of the Barracuda system.
Take care and gl.

:D

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 22:13 

BTW, can someone please tell me how to take the heli tour? I have one heli tour icon on the city map, have been to it about 4 times with Kate, and I don't see a way to take the tour no matter what time I get there.

I thought maybe after finally completing the Paper Trail mission where you land the chopper there afterward I'd be able to take the tour, but still no go. What do you have to do to take the tour?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next