Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 23:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 81  Next
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 01:29 

Ill post these again...

Anyone who thinks paddy, myself, ibrin and other people working hard on this patch are wrong about vert-. could you kindly explain to me how the screenshots aren't loosing view when you go from fullscreen to widescreen... you can clearly see in the red highlighted areas that something is missing, so how can we not be loosing something... it is fully obvious that the top of the banner is missing in the widescreen resolution...

And yes you were right that you can't compare widescreen images if they are the same height as the full screen

For vert- which this game is you put the widescreen as the same width as the full screen and put it inside

For hor+ you put the fullscreen and wide shots as the same height and put the full in the wide

Two more overlays... one from Elios on IRC and the other is dopefishes edited...

Credit to Elios for pictures (he was on irc)

Credit to dopefish for pictures

So explain why games should be like the above screenshots which are obviously loosing vertical space when we have more screen width than our fullscreen counterparts

This is an example of what should be happening

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 01:33 

Just created a new account to say I have tried setting up three separate accounts at the 2k forum with three separate e-mails none of which gets the activation emails so just posting here to say I am another looking for a solution to this issue, its just such as shame as everything looked like it was going to work out before the demo.

On a side note I am also in the UK and am slightly perplexed that users outside the US are still being forced to wait until the 24th to activate and play, not sure how this is going to work as to combating piracy, I suppose it just depends on if the cracks start to appear any time soon, I know at least three guys who have decided to do this although they wouldn’t usually even consider it.

Its annoying as I would prefer it if they would just support the company and wait a couple of days but on the other side of the coin I can understand their frustration.

Anyway, that was a bit of a diversion so on with what I was originally going to say.

I was in a discussion about this yesterday on another forum, after thinking about it tonight I deciding to finally register here to confirm my personal options, the following is mostly cut ‘n’ pastes from my own posts on another forum or three.

The game looks great don't misunderstand, but that does not make it correct.

In the past people used the excuse that it was due to competitive multi-player, that is not an acceptable excuse for a MP game let alone an SP game in my personal opinion.

I am a PC user but I do want to see this issue fully addressed on both the 360 and PC versions.

It’s not the end of the world if it’s not fixed but by god, with a game with this fairly unique although familiar visual flair and style it just seems such a shame to not get it right.

The optical illusion of a zoomed in view is where it really hurts I luckily don’t projectile vomit from this unlike so many of my less fortunate fellow WS users but it does make every environment feel cramped and simple detracts from the general enjoyment of the game.

I would guess for those that do have projectile vomiting induced by the FOV oversights seen here and in other titles it would detract even more from their enjoyment.

As for those trying to suggest that it’s as it was intended for WS users where 4:3 are actually gaining additional height by some error then this makes for far worse a problem, it means there was a major design flaw in the title that was deliberately implemented, to me this is much worse than a simple error in coding but a massive error in judgment.

I have also seen a post by someone stating that this is considered a perfectly normal way of implementing WS resolutions within titles, again this is an even worse error in judgment on behalf of the Dev’s as it simply is not sufficient, again in my personal opinion.

So last but not least what it boils down to is simply to say to the dev’s if any of them happen to peruse this thread, please review the situation as it stands, if you decide there has been an oversight then I am sure myself and many others will be glad to hear of a possibly real solution from a patch, if however you decide that this was intentionally designed to display in this manner please do post to let us know what your decision is but let me stress, are you sure you want to tell people that your support of widescreen comes in a form that the vast majority of WS users and enthusiast have a polar opposite view of.

Last but not least, regarding distribution and release dates, well I am in the UK and along with countries like Australia our activation times seem to be… in fact no you have enough on your plates, that’s a whole other topic.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 01:35 

There is no need to theorize on what is "almost certainly isn't the case". Just look at the facts that are available or test it for yourself and give people some evidence, not what you personally feel they couldn't possibly have done (based on NOTHING). Seriously, stop with the crap. It just makes lurkers like me register to say how fed up we are with reading made up junk in the middle of real tangible evidence.

But there's no "evidence" to be had. Depending on how you look at it, either they developed for 4:3 and cropped the widescreen version, or they developed for widescreen and opened up the 4:3 version. Regardless, they made the decision to keep the horizontal FOV constant. It was an intentional decision, for any of a number of reasons (to establish a claustrophobic feel, to help with performance, etc).

If I had to guess, I'd assume that they developed for 16:9, because that's what the 360 is, and that's where they're likely to get the majority of their sales. Plus some portion of PCs are 16:9 (or widescreen in general). Why would they design the game for 4:3 when that's going to be the substantial minority of their customers?

So, the only thing that makes sense is that they developed for widescreen and opened up the 4:3 version. Which, as I've said, is a totally reasonable way to handle 4:3.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 01:37 

cornbread....Why is it vomit inducing then?

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 01:41 

There is no need to theorize on what is "almost certainly isn't the case". Just look at the facts that are available or test it for yourself and give people some evidence, not what you personally feel they couldn't possibly have done (based on NOTHING). Seriously, stop with the crap. It just makes lurkers like me register to say how fed up we are with reading made up junk in the middle of real tangible evidence.

But there's no "evidence" to be had. Depending on how you look at it, either they developed for 4:3 and cropped the widescreen version, or they developed for widescreen and opened up the 4:3 version. Regardless, they made the decision to keep the horizontal FOV constant. It was an intentional decision, for any of a number of reasons (to establish a claustrophobic feel, to help with performance, etc).

If I had to guess, I'd assume that they developed for 16:9, because that's what the 360 is, and that's where they're likely to get the majority of their sales. Plus some portion of PCs are 16:9 (or widescreen in general). Why would they design the game for 4:3 when that's going to be the substantial minority of their customers?

So, the only thing that makes sense is that they developed for widescreen and opened up the 4:3 version. Which, as I've said, is a totally reasonable way to handle 4:3.

Although it’s been pointed out earlier that elements such as the tattoos on the wrists make that argument a moot point as even if it was intentional that is worse news because it means there was a massive oversight in the basic design.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 01:42 

The idea that a moving 2D image is capable of resulting in motion sickness because the scrunched up viewfield implies to our brain different movement than we are used to in a game is not something those who are set against the idea will readily accept. It requires a bit more acceptance that the brain infers more 3D from 2D images and the processes behind motion sickness than most people tend to consider or even think about.

I registered just to show a small part of the PC ZONE review of bioshock. At the time i thought it was strange but now i think it relates directly to this issue.

And also, there are people who get motion sickness from playing regular FPS games without this problem; similarly they feel sick when watching a home movie where the camera moves around too fast. But this guy is a game journalist who probably plays FPS every day and he says he’s never felt ill playing a game before, so I think this problem might be quite serious.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 01:43 

"]Heres a little image I made. Might help you guys educate some people out there (though that seems impossible at times)

I actually do understand all of that, that is why I am here.

But the devs seem to either not understand FOV, or understand H+, or, dare I say it... both?

I'm trying to find some way to argue that they thought they were right...? Just in case they argue that the FOV is correct for WS, it is just wrong for 4:3...

They either don't understand FOV, or went with BF's example?

Dunno, I don't game much, hadn't played a game in six months, but as I said, it's very obvious their implementation is wrong when you consider what zoom level would occur with a TH2G user...

Be nice to understand the logic when a dev actually ships a product in this state though, no? (this is the first game I've played with the issue, to my knowledge... HL2/Doom 3/FC are H+? BF, which I have never played, keeps the FOV identical as it is viewed as a "cheat")

Or is it just accepted in WSGF to just accept it's wrong, and just needs to be fixed? In the event it's a misunderstanding on the dev's part?

I truly do get the feeling they are (like i showed) taking a look back at their math, and seeing it as they first saw it... they didn't take into account that a crop is a zoom, and the more WS you get, the worse the zoom becomes... And ignoring that the FOV never changes for any resolution applied...

So, the only correct thing to do right now is play at 4:3 'til it's fixed?

Lastly, right as I am thinking about finally taking the TH2G plunge (for racing sims...), this has to happen, to make it clear that support just isn't to be expected...

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 01:53 

[quote]The idea that a moving 2D image is capable of resulting in motion sickness because the scrunched up viewfield implies to our brain different movement than we are used to in a game is not something those who are set against the idea will readily accept. It requires a bit more acceptance that the brain infers more 3D from 2D images and the processes behind motion sickness than most people tend to consider or even think about.

I registered just to show a small part of the PC ZONE review of bioshock. At the time i thought it was strange but now i think it relates directly to this issue.

And also, there are people who get motion sickness from playing regular FPS games without this problem; similarly they feel sick when watching a home movie where the camera moves around too fast. But this guy is a game journalist who probably plays FPS every day and he says he’s never felt ill playing a game before, so I think this problem might be quite serious.
GREAT FIND! i wonder if the reviewer was aware of the crop/stretch/zoom job done on it, most likely a reviewer would be on a widescreen. ive been playing fps games since doom. i still have the floppy discs around somewhere, ive never felt sick till this game. and ive yet to progress past where the demo ends as i dont want to experience the game like this.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 02:00 

"]I tired to register but I didnt get the email, Can someone else post them?

They have disabled new members from trying to join,great way to support the game,instead of adding more mods and answering questiosn,oh and adding more bandwith so people dont keep timing out on the forums.Someone did post it up though,thanks all for the work and suggestions thus far in trying to fix this.

2K and Liz and the Devs are still in hiding,and have left no owrd.

'Soon' in 2K marketing speak must mean "when we feel like it" :roll:

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 02:00 

I posted about this issue on PCZone's technical site under the bioshock thread...

http://forums.dearwandy.com/viewtopic.php?id=23527

Page 3 near the bottom. Their reviewer replied with a very interesting point, namely

"This wasn't mentioned in the PC Zone review because we didn't know about it. We didn't know about it because we played through the entire game in widescreen without noticing anything wrong, or feeling that the screen was cramped in any way. It's just not an issue. Although if I owned Widescreen Gaming Forum, I'd probably take it upon myself to be outraged."

"Would you have picked up on this had you not read about it on Kotaku? I doubt it."

My reply....
Er wrong... I was at the WSGF that broke this tidbit before it even hit that site.. In fact that site nicked our pic from our thread on that forum the same as several other sites are doing including shacknews

http://www.shacknews.com/

about fourth article down now... And anyway since when do hardware concerns not get reflected in a review? Just because it's a monitor issue shouldn't relegate it to the 'not interested' bucket should it?

And so it continues on that site

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 81  Next