Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 21:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 01:15 
Founder
Founder

Very interesting.

If the information contained in the interview is correct, then its simply a matter of DICE not wanting to implement widescreen support because they believe it will give widescreen users an unfair advantage.

So perhaps it has nothing to do with EA specifically. This was the general vibe I got when I spoke to all the EA reps on the floor this year, nobody seemed anti-widescreen at all. In fact, much to the contrary, they really liked having widescreen monitors out on the demo floor. Ever since the ruckus about BF 2 not supporting widescreen began, I've always suspected that the issue had more to do with the people who made the game (i.e. DICE, the guys that control the source code) rather than the publisher (EA in this instance) who merely distributes the game.

Shack: But you'll at least have native support for the aspect ratio?

I'm confused on this point. Does this mean that you will be able to select resolutions in-game that are widescreen (i.e. 1680x1050, 1920x1200 etc,) but that they FOV won't expand to accomodate them, resulting in a stretched image?

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 07:09 

I'm confused on this point. Does this mean that you will be able to select resolutions in-game that are widescreen (i.e. 1680x1050, 1920x1200 etc,) but that they FOV won't expand to accomodate them, resulting in a stretched image?

Yep exactly. The FOV will wont be change.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 08:33 
Editors
Editors

[quote]

Yep exactly. The FOV will wont be change.errrr ... that is not quite right ... emanuel.en ... let me clarify ...

If it has the correct Aspect Ratio and the Widescreen Resolutions ... it shouldn't be stretched looking.

After applying the res hack to the shortcut of BF2 ... it doesn't look stretched.
It does however have the top and the bottom of the view cut off ... thus maintaining/correcting the Aspect Ratio and this is why it doesn't look stretched.

If it didn't cut the top and bottom off the games view would be squashed down to fit the screen making the game look stretched to fit as the view width is no wider ... and therefore it would have an incorrect Aspect Ratio.

The solution we need is ... widescreen resolutions ... the correct aspect ratio and ... a wider FOV so that the top and bottom don't get cut off. i.e. A Horizontal increase in FOV where the Vertical FOV stays the same as it is for a 4:3 screen.

Here is some screenshots to explain ... note the HUD is stretching whatever ... but the 3D view changes each time ...

Normal 4:3 Resolution ... correct Aspect Ratio ... correct FOV

Using a Widescreen Resolution ... correct Aspect Ratio ... incorrect FOV as the top and bottom are cut off
This is what happens when the widescreen Res hack is applied to the shortcut ...

Using a 4:3 Resolution scaled up to fit a widescreen ... incorrect Aspect Ratio as the 4:3 image is squashed down to fit the screen ... the width is the same ... so it has an incorrect FOV.
This is what happens if you don't apply the res hack to the shortcut but use a widescreen where the game is scaled to fit the widescreen.

An example of something like it should be to be correct for us widescreen gamers ...

Normal 4:3 Resolution ... correct Aspect Ratio ... correct FOV

Using a Widescreen Resolution ... correct Aspect Ratio ... correct FOV
The top and bottom are not cut off and the width FOV is increased ...

EDIT ... I added the screenshots to further explain ...
:D

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 09:17 

ups, hmm okay :lol:

sorry I thougt it would be what I said. I'm not that crack like you but thx, now i really know what going on too :D

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 09:20 
Editors
Editors

No worries ... it screws with my head too ... :lol:
I added some screenshots to further explain ... :D

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 23:22 
Founder
Founder

Ah! I think I see now. :idea:

Thx Emanuel and Paddy for clearing that up (and for the very helpful pics).

So what they were saying in the interview was that they will have support for widescreen resolutions and their aspect ratio, thus keeping the image itself from looking stretched, but without any change to FOV it will result in a -vert solution.

There will be no wider view, essentially negating one of the big differences b/w widescreen monitors and their 4:3 counterparts.

.....I think?....hehe :wink:

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2006, 07:41 
Editors
Editors

Yeah ... you got it ... :D

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2006, 16:22 
Founder
Founder

Locking extra BF2 threads. Please keep discussion here:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1079