Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 03:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 09:53 

i think they have a cheek charging that much cash for a patch? i'm going to pick up the 20p version next time i'm in town. £15.99 price difference because they added the letters hd to title, no thx.

It's a total graphical overhaul. It's not exactly reasonable to call it a "patch."

Yeah... It's rebuilt from the ground up correct? I think $20 is very reasonable for it. The original Serious Sam probably cost what $30-40 when it was released?

The only difference between this and any other game is they new what they had to create.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 15:56 

your right i'm doing patches a disservice because they're free and sometimes ya get brand new extra content.

i played this game and it dont look any different to me apart from the res, we'll have to compare the 2 games with screens and see.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 15:59 

Steam is great, I aint ever had a problem, like other's have said get your games from who ever is selling cheapest ad you cant go wrong.

I think SS HD is over priced for what it is, full over haul or not.

I'm sure most peeps are aware of this mod for Oblivion

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=2363

This is free and a complete re skin of the texture's, more stuff like this is the way to go 8)

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 18:12 

i played this game and it dont look any different to me apart from the res, we'll have to compare the 2 games with screens and see.

Seen the trailer and indeed it seems like the exact same game. Gameplay, levels, etc. And that is exactly why I preordered it ;)

Another great (or terrible, depending on how you look at it) thing about Steam: weekend deals. Burn through your money, wooo

Yes, there are times when you need some serious self control to not overspend on cheap games :P

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 21:12 
Insiders
Insiders

The original Serious Sam probably cost what $30-40 when it was released?

TFE and TSE were $20 a piece when they were new - they were unapologetic budget titles.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 22:12 

The original Serious Sam probably cost what $30-40 when it was released?

TFE and TSE were $20 a piece when they were new - they were unapologetic budget titles.

Ah then yes $20 for a remake might be slightly high. $10-15 would be more like it.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 05:04 
Insiders
Insiders

Funny thing is, console gamers are expected to pay $40 for God of War Collection, which isn't even a remake. It's just God of War 1&2 made PS3 compatible, with the exact same graphics, but rendered at 720p with AA and a higher frame rate. Which is something *every* PC game released this century can do on a modern computer for free. And not only are they happy to pay this, but they're begging permission to pay for ICO and SotC a second time as well.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 05:31 

Funny thing is, console gamers are expected to pay $40 for God of War Collection, which isn't even a remake. It's just God of War 1&2 made PS3 compatible, with the exact same graphics, but rendered at 720p with AA and a higher frame rate. Which is something *every* PC game released this century can do on a modern computer for free. And not only are they happy to pay this, but they're begging permission to pay for ICO and SotC a second time as well.

however console gamers tend to buy & resell at highest rates
at least in france the used market for console games is very present in physical shops.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 05:42 
Insiders
Insiders

How much do *you* actually get for selling a used console game? The used market might be very present, but chances are it's only the retailers who are getting anything estimable out of it. Stores like EBGames make most of their profits from used games - they'll give a $50 coupon towards a Wii in exchange for two full priced games, and then sell them for $5 off the normal price.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 18:19 
Editors
Editors

Back to Steam quirks :
-no error messages when install can't complete because servers are too busy. It just won't finish and you'll have to try the download again later, from the start.
-Fraps may not work in certain games. Shows 0 fps or even prevents game launch. Really depends on the game, but totally linked to Steam.
-embedded IE. The Steam client may open IE pop-ups, e.g for Paypal transactions. You're much better off browsing the store from inside your usual non-IE browser.

I don't think I will ever use Steam to buy just-released, full-priced games, let alone preorder/preload stuff. As for special offers though, it's a neverending party :oops: 4€ for Mirror's Edge or Zeno Clash ?! I'm too weak to turn my back on that, even if that means installing a stupid client app to download and activate the games. At such prices, quirks are just quirks, nothing to complain about, really.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next