Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 08:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 11:38 
Editors
Editors

Oblivion is good once you've modded it to the point where it's barely recognisable graphically as the original game (and fixed the autolevelled enemies etc...) but in the top ten of the decade? I could see that for Morrowind, but not, sadly, for Oblivion. Which is a shame, as I did enjoy my last playthrough.

Modern Warfare 2? Not played it to wish to comment.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 12:25 

Oblivion is a freaking awesome open world hack n' slash game with some RPG elements, it just happens to be the sequel to one of the best RPGs of all time, which make it an epic dissapointment. Same thing with Deus Ex IW, a nice little cyberpunk shooter with some RPG and stealth elements that was unfortunately supposed to be a sequel to one of the best RPGs of all time.

Massive dissapointments but still good games... nutty, but true. Not sure why Paradigm says you have to mod the graphics, vanilla Oblivion still looks amazing to me.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 13:11 

Well Dues Ex is an obvious chioce.
Baldurs Gate series for sure
WoW obviously
Counterstrike perhaps?
Halflife series
What about BF2?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 22:41 
Editors
Editors

Massive dissapointments but still good games... nutty, but true. Not sure why Paradigm says you have to mod the graphics, vanilla Oblivion still looks amazing to me.

Well, you don't have to, but when I mod a game, I tend to blanket 'everything'... so graphics, gameplay, quest, extra mods... all under one blanket. And Oblivion is just yuck without at the very least Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul to disable the autolevelling enemies. ;)

I actually prefer vanilla Fallout 3 to vanilla Oblivion - Shivering Isles was awesome unmodded, though.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 23:16 

To each his own...that's the great part ab gaming :cheers:

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 01:53 

Half Life 2 + Episodes (especially with the ever evolving Cinematic Mod by FAKEFACTORY)
Warcraft 3 + The Frozen Throne (MP + fanmade maps make this one amazing - even today; DOTA?)
Fallout 3 (Open World at its best)
Unreal Tournament 2004 (awesome MP)
Day of Defeat: Source (it will forever be on my HDD)
Final Fantasy XII (so different to any previous installment in the series; love it or hate it)
God of War I + II (don't want to decide between those 2 masterpieces)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Partriots (do i have to say anything more?)
Far Cry (loved it back then, still do)
Command & Conquer: Generals (never had that much fun in any RTS after it - except warcraft funmaps; "There's much money to be made!")

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 04:07 
Editors
Editors

UT and transport tycoon. both 100% awesome.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 00:10 

[quote]Does HalfLife 2 = Counter Strike?

Never played HL2 once, but played CS for years and still go back to it from time to time.

Does egg = firetruck?

firetruck kills egg

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 03:34 
Insiders
Insiders

No Order Of Course: (Games I've Really Enjoyed this Decade)

Sonic Adventure 2
Soul Calibur 1-3 (4 Kill off a lot of Customization that 3 Had)
Dead or Alive 2 - Ultimate (4 Pisses Me Off Too Much)
Unreal Tournament 2004
Phantom Crash (SLAI was Too Hard for me to get into)
Crackdown (This Game Made the my 360 Worth Playing)
Metroid Prime Hunters
.Hack Series of Games
Super Mario: Sunshine
Jet Grind Radio

Honorable Mentions:

Kingdom Hearts 2
Halo 1 PC/CE
DDR (Various Installments)
Zelda Twilight Princess
Mario Kart DS
Sega GT 2002 - Online
Jet Set Radio: Future
Poyo Pop Fever
Bloody Roar: Primal Fury
Bust-A-Move DS
Okage: The Shadow King

Personally The Last Decade of Games Was Gaming at it's best. Mainstream gaming seems to be getting more and more pointless. I'm seeing less polish, less content, and generally less value in today's' games. It may be that I'm older, but really, I'm seeing more value in hand held games now. In big block buster titles now, I'm seeing too many of the same things. I like shooters, but we need more variety, more creativity, and more interesting stories. Gameplay also seems... odd... to me. In many ways games are smoother, but gameplay seems to bank too much off of what's been done previously in each genre. Platformers have gone the way side, Shooters are found a dime a dozen, music games got popular and now are struggling to innovate, I've heard way too much about motion control for me to care about anymore, publishers are cranking out sequels left and right, Puzzle games are now the domain of mobile phones, Robots just aren't as cool as they used to be, The Anthropomorphic Main character is dead (This might actually be a good thing), The next time I see a big dude in a padded armor suit I'm gonna rage, Games are short and easy, and on top of all this, We praise mediocrity.

I believe today's gamer has gone through a change within this generation. Games were sweet toward the end of Xbox, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Ps2 generation. Then Next gen consoles came out people were okay with arbitrary crap for years due to better graphics (Xbox, PS3) or hype (Wii I'm looking at you). Then developers started getting better with tools and making better products, but are far from the "Glory Days" of Last Generation. This up turn in game development quality is where it's been for a while. But there's been an overall lack of improvement on this front for a long time. We need an Overhaul in the Quality Department.

Well this is purely my opinion. My head just started buzzing loudly once I started remembering titles I liked. Most of which are from the last generation. I don't buy games like I used to, because I don't have interest in what I see at the moment.

Rant Over

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 10:53 
Editors
Editors

Personally The Last Decade of Games Was Gaming at it's best. Mainstream gaming seems to be getting more and more pointless. I'm seeing less polish, less content, and generally less value in today's' games. It may be that I'm older, but really, I'm seeing more value in hand held games now. In big block buster titles now, I'm seeing too many of the same things. I like shooters, but we need more variety, more creativity, and more interesting stories. Gameplay also seems... odd... to me. In many ways games are smoother, but gameplay seems to bank too much off of what's been done previously in each genre. Platformers have gone the way side, Shooters are found a dime a dozen, music games got popular and now are struggling to innovate, I've heard way too much about motion control for me to care about anymore, publishers are cranking out sequels left and right, Puzzle games are now the domain of mobile phones, Robots just aren't as cool as they used to be, The Anthropomorphic Main character is dead (This might actually be a good thing), The next time I see a big dude in a padded armor suit I'm gonna rage, Games are short and easy, and on top of all this, We praise mediocrity.

I believe today's gamer has gone through a change within this generation. Games were sweet toward the end of Xbox, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Ps2 generation. Then Next gen consoles came out people were okay with arbitrary crap for years due to better graphics (Xbox, PS3) or hype (Wii I'm looking at you). Then developers started getting better with tools and making better products, but are far from the "Glory Days" of Last Generation. This up turn in game development quality is where it's been for a while. But there's been an overall lack of improvement on this front for a long time. We need an Overhaul in the Quality Department.

Well this is purely my opinion. My head just started buzzing loudly once I started remembering titles I liked. Most of which are from the last generation. I don't buy games like I used to, because I don't have interest in what I see at the moment.

Rant Over

Agreed. My own emphasis added.

It's taken the PS3 (aside from Disgaea, which is such a niche game type it hardly counts) until FFXIII to create a game that couldn't really have been done on the PS2. And even FF13 is dumbed down - fully healed after every battle... :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next