Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 03:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 15:07 
Editors
Editors

Amusingly, this has made me find my copy of Starcraft again (although the Starcraft widescreen/res fix that Cranky posted doesn't work properly any more... :()

That and I'm having to play it stretched, as the Dell U2311H doesn't allow you to scale stuff sensibly. Either everything is fullscreen or everything is 4:3. And wading through the menu every time to switch gets annoying!

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 16:34 
Insiders
Insiders

Amusingly, this has made me find my copy of Starcraft again (although the Starcraft widescreen/res fix that Cranky posted doesn't work properly any more... :()

That and I'm having to play it stretched, as the Dell U2311H doesn't allow you to scale stuff sensibly. Either everything is fullscreen or everything is 4:3. And wading through the menu every time to switch gets annoying!

Why not use video card scaling?

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 02:03 
Insiders
Insiders

I just updated it, and tested it out with the latest version. Try it now.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 04:49 

http://www.skillhackers.com/sc2warden/

It looks like they are scanning for the same hacks in both singleplayer and multiplayer.

So ultimately its more than just looking for trainers to cheat at achievements in singleplayer.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 12:58 
Editors
Editors

Why not use video card scaling?

Monitor scaling overrides card scaling. It's either full-screen-stretched or 4:3 crunched. It'll crunch a 16:9 res to 4:3 in 4:3 mode. FAIL, Dell, FAIL.

I just updated it, and tested it out with the latest version. Try it now.

Have downloaded it. Will try it and let you know. :)

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 17:59 
Insiders
Insiders

Monitor scaling overrides card scaling.

So don't use monitor scaling. If the card scaling is working right, it should be outputting this directly to the monitor:

And the monitor's "full screen stretch" mode won't do anything at all.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 20:19 
Editors
Editors

Monitor scaling overrides card scaling.

So don't use monitor scaling. If the card scaling is working right, it should be outputting this directly to the monitor:

And the monitor's "full screen stretch" mode won't do anything at all.

There are two choices for how the Dell U2311H handles input.

Fullscreen.

4:3.

There are no other options. Either everything is forced 4:3, or everything is forced fullscreen. It just ignores everything else. Seriously. I've got it sitting in front of me still. It's a PITA. It overrides what the GPU tells it, 'cause I've tried it. GPU is set to Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling, but makes no difference regardless of what I set it to.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 20:51 
Insiders
Insiders

There are two choices for how the Dell U2311H handles input.
Fullscreen.
4:3.

I understand that. I'm saying, keep it to "fullscreen." You should not have to change it from that under any circumstances, as long as you are using the computer as the sole video source. If the video card is upscaling properly, then it's impossible for the monitor to override that. The GPU does not "tell" the monitor whether to upscale or not. The GPU, if it upscales properly, then it will send the monitor video data that has already been upscaled. A monitor cannot tell the difference between a 640x480 image that the GPU upscaled to 1920x1080, and an image that was actually rendered at 1920x1080. To the monitor, they are exactly the same thing.

Look at the image I posted. If you were to have the monitor stretch it to 16:9, it would be unchanged. This is because it already *is* 16:9.

Let me put this another way. Does your monitor have DVI? Are you using it? Does your monitor display pictures at its native resolution just fine? If you said "yes" to all of these questions, but you still can't get 4:3 games to display properly, then there is nothing wrong with your monitor. There's something wrong with your GPU, or its drivers, or the configuration of its drivers.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2010, 12:53 
Editors
Editors

The answer to all of those is 'yes', but there's nothing wrong with the monitor. Regardless, the Dell U2311H ignores any scaling information given to it via the GPU and does it's own thing. It never loses any of the image (overscan) but monitor scaling overrides preferential settings on the GPU. This is in XP32, so I guess it might be different with Windows Vista or 7, which use a different display driver model, but I don't see why that would be the case.

Via VGA it works fine. Monitor doesn't override GPU scaling. Interesting...

Excuse me while I test an idea...

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2010, 14:26 

I like Blizzard's official response of "no we don't do this" followed immediately by "well yes we do actually." If you ban people for using any hack because it could be used in multiplayer, even if it isn't, then you are banning people for singleplayer cheats. That's common sense.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/66003

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next