Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 19:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 81  Next
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 04:36 

I checked out 2k, 54 pages of ignorance and no solution. DX9 should be able to get us a hack/crack...sounds like we have another EA company on our hands...the LAST thing we needed was another crappy Non-widescreen bigbudget crap producing profiting moronic company.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 04:39 

I'm kind of surprised no one has posted about this yet, as it's been annoying the crap out of me since I first loaded the game up... The HUD is stretched. It looks like they assume any widescreen resolution is 16:9 so on a standard PC 16:10 display, all the hud elements are stretched out vertically. Here's a 4:3 and 16:10 shot to show what I mean.

4:3 - scaled down from a 1280x960 shot

16:10 - scaled down from a 1680x1050 shot

To me, this is just as annoying as the FOV issue.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 04:39 

[quote]i cant play it. it makes me sick. as it has others, and other reviewers.

I don't know why it would make you sick. First person games sometimes produce a kind of motion sickness in susceptible persons because the screen shows you moving, which conflicts with the signals that you are getting from your inner ear. But there is no particular reason why one field of view should be more nausea-inducing than another, so long as it is not so excessively wide as to produce noticeable distortion as you turn. If you position yourself at a distance from the screen such that your own hand at arms length appears the same size as your hand on the screen, then what you see on the screen will correspond to what you would actually see if looking through a window of the same size. Do you really think that walking around looking through a window would make you sick? Do you get sick walking around wearing a swim mask, which restricts your field of view to roughly the same extent? I suspect that much of the nausea that people are reporting is basically power of suggestion.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 04:44 

For the people who still don't get how the widescreen looks zoomed in in comparison to 4:3, part of the problem is that it's not really obivous when you see the widescreen screenshot scaled down and placed within the 4:3 screenshot. Here's a 4:3 and 16:9 screenshot at the same height side by side, hopefully this should making the "zooming" effect much more apparent:

These screenshots are taken from Gabbo's report on the game.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 04:45 

If anyone claims that 2K Boston developed the game first in widescreen format, with reduced viewable area AND a hand model cut in half, and then they developed the 4:3 and added the rest of the hand, he/she must be either work for 2K, or be a complete.....noob, not to use the word I should use.

Wow, this really makes no sense. Both images are obviously generated from the same geometry model, including the hands. You just see more or less of your hands depending upon the field of view. On a widescreen TV, you see less of your hand in the "ready" position, but many of the animations show a good part of the arm.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 04:46 

I checked out 2k, 54 pages of ignorance and no solution. DX9 should be able to get us a hack/crack...sounds like we have another EA company on our hands...the LAST thing we needed was another crappy Non-widescreen bigbudget crap producing profiting moronic company.

Thats taking it a little far. Game is far from crappy. I'm annoyed about the lack of proper widescreen too. Give it a chance for the dust to settle.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 05:06 

Originally Posted by irrationallevine View Post
Hey guys-

Sorry about all the conflict. IG development people (specifically Chris and Rowan who are both on vacation) were trying to take a day off today (we've been working about six months 6-7 days a week). I'm trying to see what everybody's concerns are and consult with the staff.

I know people are frustrated, but we are dealing with internet time here. It wasn't until 7 pm EST that I was able to even talk to anybody in our Australian studio, which is open today (9 AM their time).

I hear you that not everybody was thrilled with the PC launch. And I'm trying to collect information and see what the facts are. PC game development does not function in a matter of seconds or hours, especially when most of the team is on vacation. But I hear you, and we're looking into the issue. I'll only ask you have a bit of understanding as to the time scale that software development issues must occur in.

Best regards,

Ken Levine

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=122353&postcount=622

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 05:07 

If I had to guess, I'd assume that they developed for 16:9, because that's what the 360 is, and that's where they're likely to get the majority of their sales.
The majority of their users are 4:3! Just because someone owns a 360 does not mean they're running a HD televion. Just the opposite is the most common case.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 05:09 

The point of proper widescreen support is so that you see more than a 4:3 display... with their method if widescreen you see less of the game!

It's a hack, unforgivable when ALL new displays for the past few years have been widescreen. I can run Quake3 unmodified (released in 1999) properly in widescreen, why can't games released almost a decade later support widescreen properly?

you would THINK that is the proper way to support it... but even some movies run that way. James Cameron has been quoted as saying he likes fullscreen better and actually films it as such and crops it the same way for "widescreen" at the theaters.

does not remove the massive LAME sticker on the idea, but "technically" it is widescreen format. Just for all sensible movie/game buffs it is the worst way to go.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 05:14 

Hey, very cool on the KL response. Always knew there was something special about that guy based on interviews with him I have read. rockin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 81  Next