Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 27 Sep 2024, 18:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: STALKER info ...
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2007, 14:40 

WOOHOO!

My Stalker Game arrived at teh post office today, I pick it up tomorow. YAY. I got it for $23.50 (plus postage) from Thailand, the seller said it was a fair dinkum copy, I hope so.

Now allz I gotzta do is wait for a decent graphics card to show up on my door step so I can play it.

Hey Paddy, your Deus Ex comment made me buy it (and a new 8800GTS) as Deus Ex is easily my fav game of all time too, so far.

But then, of course, the 8800 series perform very poorly in this game. It will make you feel like you wasted your money. Other games are going to run great, but Stalker... yikes...

These new drivers are supposedly tweaked for better STALKER performance, but I saw absolutely no difference. Nvidia is not on my good side right now.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2007, 20:32 

[quote]WOOHOO!

My Stalker Game arrived at teh post office today, I pick it up tomorow. YAY. I got it for $23.50 (plus postage) from Thailand, the seller said it was a fair dinkum copy, I hope so.

Now allz I gotzta do is wait for a decent graphics card to show up on my door step so I can play it.

Hey Paddy, your Deus Ex comment made me buy it (and a new 8800GTS) as Deus Ex is easily my fav game of all time too, so far.

But then, of course, the 8800 series perform very poorly in this game. It will make you feel like you wasted your money. Other games are going to run great, but Stalker... yikes...

These new drivers are supposedly tweaked for better STALKER performance, but I saw absolutely no difference. Nvidia is not on my good side right now.

The main thing pointing to a driver problem is that it runs quite a bit faster in Vista than in XP. I don't recall ever getting any chop playing on my Vista rig. The save crashing has me waiting for a patch though, plus I want to be able to continue playing after completing it. Hopefully the next patch fixes both issues, since I really enjoyed the part I've completed so far.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2007, 21:53 

[quote][quote]WOOHOO!

The main thing pointing to a driver problem is that it runs quite a bit faster in Vista than in XP. I don't recall ever getting any chop playing on my Vista rig. The save crashing has me waiting for a patch though, plus I want to be able to continue playing after completing it. Hopefully the next patch fixes both issues, since I really enjoyed the part I've completed so far.

This fixed the savecrash for me:

http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr&thm_page=3&thm_id=4926&sec_id=12

Give it a try. :D

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2007, 23:31 

I WILL PREVAIL!!!! :evil:

All you doom sayers out there, stay your blasphemy, my new shiny 8800gts 320mb Overclocked Version BEAST will pwn joo all!

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2007, 07:00 

I use a Nvidia 7800 video card.. STALKER runs great on it. Why would an upgrade in video card run worse? Like the 8800? hmmm

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2007, 10:27 

I use a Nvidia 7800 video card.. STALKER runs great on it. Why would an upgrade in video card run worse? Like the 8800? hmmm

Do you have dynamic lightning turned on?

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2007, 13:36 

Here's a link to download sager's mod if you want to check it out:

http://files.filefront.com/SagerSTALKb1rar/;7085274;/fileinfo.html

Cool thing is it doesn't permanently alter anything - if you decide you don't like it, just delete the folder ...

From the readme:

SagerSTALK Beta 1

I really want this mod (I havn't even installed the game yet, 8800gts hasnt' arrived) but I cannot find the file.

Could someone post link again please?

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2007, 13:57 
Editors
Editors

JohnnyWakko.
First google result on a search for "SagerSTALK" gave this link:
http://stalker.filefront.com/file/SagerSTALK_Single_Player_Mod;77585

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2007, 20:45 

Not over impressed personally. It has not hooked me any more than HL2. So buggy, like having to wait for people to move out of doorways cos they are unmoveable, terrible ai which was supposedly its selling point. Graphically its okay, no idea why it never gets wet when it rains? Shadows not right etc. Storms look good, lightning great.
The blinking patch (official) wont work either, says i do not have a game installed (i do, and a legal copy too before someone says i have hacked files). Not sure if i have correct 5.1 sound, hard to tell on my 5.1 headphones TBH. Hope the patches in the future address some of the issues (and install, which would be nice!)

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2007, 14:07 

WOW WOW WOW and more WOW.

I shat my pants tonight, for the first time in a long time. Oh man! I LUUUURVE this game. I'm a nervous wreck after the stage in the sewers...

Anyway, my 8800GTS320 Overclock version is absolutely SCREAMING along in this game, and how driggin choice does it look!

I did add some mods before I started playing, like the realism mod and the endurance mod which has made it very very good.

I can't wait to get back to this game.

The shear godlike ego that the game has far surpases the any small cliches that I have not even bothered to notice, or even tried. To busy enjoying it. Its great how you start out so nooob, then when you get some time underyou belt you start to own those pesky guys who used to own youn so hard. I don't even bother taking cover any more, just waste a magazine into em whilst I am still walk-stalking forward.

So much joy! This is extremely close to my love for Dues Ex, it is sure as hell far more atmospheric and frightening taht is for sure.

94% from me so far, I would give Dues Ex 95%. To put it into comparisong, I would give DOOM3 80%, HL2 89%.

Immersion is what gets big thumbs up from me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 29  Next