Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 20:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 81  Next
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 07:49 

[snip]

To all the people on here saying that there isn't a problem, please look at the screenshots. Its obvious the screen is cropped and that is not how widescreen works.

I also have thought maybe 4:3 is actually a FOV overshot, but after thinking about it, why is there a perfectly created wrist on the character in 4:3. It seems to me its suppose to be seen all the time, otherwise why is it there in 4:3 at all.

Take a game like battlefield 2, when thats in Vert- widescreen you can still see the characters gun/hand completely just like in a normal 4:3 resolution. So why in Bioshock do we only see half his hand?

Because there is currenty a bug in the wide screen rendering in the game that does not conform to widescreen standards for gaming.

8)

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 07:52 

I was going to say the same thing and even offer some data to back up what I said (something he fails to do every time he posts).

Here's some data for you: Xbox 360 development requires you to use a 16:9 720p framebuffer (or a 1080p framebuffer, but few do that). All 360 development is inherently widescreen.

Opening up the 4:3 version rather than cropping off the sides of the widescreen version is a fine thing to do. Yes, it's perfectly acceptable. All of you are looking at it from the point of view of 4:3 going to 16:9, but that's most likely not how it's been developed. Look at it as the 16:9 version that's been modified for the 4:3 version. And really, who cares how they modify the 4:3 version? If they want to open up the top and bottoms, like is done with Super35 filming in movies, then fine. Has no bearing on the widescreen version. It's not "widescreen done wrong", or "screwing over the widescreen community".

Yes, they could have used a wider FOV for the widescreen version. The one that they're using might be on the narrow side, and it might contribute to motion sickness. That's an entirely valid concern, though if the FOV was deliberately chosen, I'd honestly rather play it as the designers intended.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 07:53 

[quote]The point of proper widescreen support is so that you see more than a 4:3 display... with their method if widescreen you see less of the game!

It's a hack, unforgivable when ALL new displays for the past few years have been widescreen. I can run Quake3 unmodified (released in 1999) properly in widescreen, why can't games released almost a decade later support widescreen properly?

you would THINK that is the proper way to support it... but even some movies run that way. James Cameron has been quoted as saying he likes fullscreen better and actually films it as such and crops it the same way for "widescreen" at the theaters.

does not remove the massive LAME sticker on the idea, but "technically" it is widescreen format. Just for all sensible movie/game buffs it is the worst way to go.

The reason the top and bottom of motion pictures are cropped for widescreen cinema is because the lens that films it all is round.

8)

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 07:59 

Because there is currenty a bug in the wide screen rendering in the game that does not conform to widescreen standards for gaming.

8)

More of a rhetorical question, but thanks for backing me up... :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 07:59 

[snip]

though if the FOV was deliberately chosen, I'd honestly rather play it as the designers intended.

Please provide a link to where it says it was deliberately chosen.

I think it was an unintended mistake to be corrected in a future patch.

8)

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 08:08 

Please provide a link to where it says it was deliberately chosen.

Well, I did say "if". :-)

And I'll let the developers speak for themselves. It's certainly not my place to publicly quote anyone that I've talked to about it.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 08:11 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm fairly positive that 2k, or whomever, will fix this issue before too long... but not too quickly because as that 2k moderator stated, most of the dev staff are on vacation.

I'll still be picking up my pre-order up tomorrw and see how long i can hold for a patch (or an awesome fix from this community) before i break down adn play it, becaseu after polaying the demo adn seeing the videos it loks pretty damned good.. but on my 4:3 TV.. may as well since uiàèll see mroe of the game than using my ws monitor.
arg.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 08:30 
Insiders
Insiders

Heres an FOV hack for the demo:

http://dl.tocaedit.com/bioshockdFOV.zip

Reportedly not working on Vista 64bit...

I'll make one for the retail game when I get a hold of it.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 08:39 

Racer_S to the rescue!

Also to the PC ZONE guy : Some of us are above the 1337 gamer idiots found on Kotaku.

To the other guys who simply keep on arguing that what Bioshock does is what it is meant to do : Read up on all the FAQs. Understand what widescreen is and why it is better and why games need to do Hor+ to actually make use of it instead of coming to this thread and bashing the WSGers for complaining.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 08:41 

so i just seen an exe in there is this a replacement for the demo exe then?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 81  Next