Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 18:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 14:21 
Editors
Editors

Very odd ...
I can't see that a card could could cause that but I could be wrong.
As you can see from the screenshot everything lines up correctly ... distances are the same ... hmmm ... very odd.
Maybe it is something to do with the way you were running widescreen on a 4:3 ... dunno ...

BTW ... they fixed widescreen for Stalker in a patch (just in case you didn't know).

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 14:34 

[quote]What I'm saying is that we can longer automatically make the assumption that if a game is vert-, it's the widescreen FOV that is wrong -- ...
We can if it feels wrong in widescreen ... as it does in Bioshock and Medal Of Honor: Airborne ... and many others.

Yes, but then thats no longer automatically assuming, thats actually investigating it :p

Stevedroid perfectly captures what I was trying to say.

So for a game like GoW, which is Vert- (or 4:3 Vert+, depending on your perspective ;) ), you have to play it and decide if the WS view feels like the "wrong"/uncomfortable FOV.

ie. If you had never saw 4:3 GoW, would there still be a problem with the WS version?

(The answer obviously can be yes. However you can't assume either way, without first investigating/experiencing)

Aggies

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 14:50 
Editors
Editors

[quote][quote]What I'm saying is that we can longer automatically make the assumption that if a game is vert-, it's the widescreen FOV that is wrong -- ...
We can if it feels wrong in widescreen ... as it does in Bioshock and Medal Of Honor: Airborne ... and many others.

Yes, but then thats no longer automatically assuming, thats actually investigating it :p... lol ... of course ... you have to experience it to know ... and I usually know instantly as it feels wrong as it did with Bioshock and why I posted.

Don't get me wrong I understand what you guys are saying ...

Another consideration is ...
Vert- implementation of widescreen does not allow for extreme FOVs such as TripleHead or Dual screens and if a game was designed in TripleHead using this method of widescreen (Vert-) think how silly it would be in 4:3 ... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 14:53 

I just loaded GoW. Frankly it doesn't bother me as it did with Bioshock. It doesn't feel bad for me.

BUT, don't take this that I like the game, because I don't.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 14:59 
Editors
Editors

It probably doesn't feel so bad as it is 3rd person ...

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 16:35 

I would say Gears feels alright the way it is, I didn't even notice this until I checked. It feels like I can see to much using 4:3, because I'm used to 16:9.

But other games, especially FPS need to be Hor+. Theres no ifs or buts about it....

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 21:22 

Having played a lot of GoW the current FOV feels right to me at widescreen. Looking at the 4:3 shots the game looks too zoomed out. I think in the case of GoWs case it is a matter of 4:3 vert+ and it's 4:3 users that are getting the incorrect "experience."

As said, vert- (or vert+ as the case may be) is definitely wrong regardless, but I think from this point forward we're going to have to consider if it's widescreen users or 4:3 users that are getting the short of end of the stick.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 21:44 

Having played a lot of GoW the current FOV feels right to me at widescreen. Looking at the 4:3 shots the game looks too zoomed out. I think in the case of GoWs case it is a matter of 4:3 vert+ and it's 4:3 users that are getting the incorrect "experience."

As said, vert- (or vert+ as the case may be) is definitely wrong regardless, but I think from this point forward we're going to have to consider if it's widescreen users or 4:3 users that are getting the short of end of the stick.

No one is asking the 4:3 users to get anything less than they would in the first place. This isn't about 4:3 getting less, it is for WS to get more. It's an endless supply of FOV and pixels. When a game supports properly WS screens, it is not stealing pixels from 4:3. This isn't the state budget, this is pixels. Both CAN be winners. Don't fall for the propaganda, we are equals.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 22:48 
Founder
Founder

What I'm saying is that we can longer automatically make the assumption that if a game is vert-, it's the widescreen FOV that is wrong -- ...

If developers really, Really, Really, REALLY, REALLY wanted players to have "specific" experience and have players "see" the world in a specific way (with the Widescreen being correct) then they should present the game anamorphic, and letterbox for 4:3 screens.

Now, obviously this may cause an uproar. But, the devs could say, "This is how we designed the game, if you want to fill your screen, buy an HDTV. This is how we want you to see the game. If you don't want to, then check this "cropped" option and let it crop the sides. But know, you aren't following our vision."

I find it funny that they are saying that widescreen is their "true" vision, when the majority of owners, both console and PC, do not have widescreen displays. So, that means, all of their hard work to create this "perfect" experience is being wasted.

I'd say the "best" option is do widescreen how you want, and then offer 4:3 users letterboxing or cropping. Don't a ton of people buy widescreen DVDs, and watch them letterboxed on their "regular" TVs?

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 23:54 

I think I've got a pretty good reasoning for how the UE3 engine deals with widescreen.

Now then, people are used to that 4:3 being the "default" resolution you compare to. So that aspect ratios which are wider gets a wider fov, and aspect ratios which are taller gets a taller fov. This all makes sense, right?

I don't think the UE3 engine always makes wider aspect ratios have the same horizontal fov. I just think they made 16:9 the new "default". So that wider aspect ratios than 16:9 will have wider fov (triple heads for instance). And that taller aspect ratios (4:3 for instance) have a taller fov.

When you think about it that way, it makes perfect sense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next