Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 07:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 01:37 

There's something I really do not understand, why is there so much resistance to how UT2004, Half-Life and other games have utilized wide screen formats?

Maybe I'm just blind, but out of all of the UT2004 forums and websites that I check daily, I have never noticed anyone complaining about how UT2004 implemented a way to work with 16:9/16:10 monitors. But as soon as you ask if UT]I[ will provide a way to select horiz+ format, the question virtually turns into a skirmish.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 01:54 

same thing with games that need SM30, Vista/DX10, PPU

people are envies of thoughts that have better then them

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 02:47 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]For there to be not advantage in any way, the devs must user letter or pillarboxing and choose a single aspect only. See what they say about that.
I disagree ... that restricts the immersion of games and we all want the most immersive experience we can from our games even 4:3 users...

That isn't exactly what I was alluding to. I meant it simply that Vert- wasn't giving the anti-horz+ people the advantage they thought they were getting since the Vertical FOV increase is dramatically larger than the regular Horizontal increase would be when we rotate our widescreens into portrait mode. And if the goal was to TRULY level the playing field in that manner, that boxing the frame is the only way to be truly fair because Vert- still gives widescreen an "advantage".

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 06:18 

well, i understand what some of them are saying - that it is an advantage over 4:3 users and that Bioshock was simply done the way it was done, so we should take it or leave it...

my reason number one why the widescreen would be nicer to be done HOR+ is, that it is more comfortabely or naturaly done, it is not broken way of doing widescreen, you see everything that 4:3 user would see plus there is more FOV on sides, not cropped picture.

If I wanted to held game competitions, I would say that everyone has to use the same resolution, quality settings etc. and then it would be 100% fair. But playing from home is more about having it done properly - not having it done without any advantage at all. In my opinion widescreen is done properly, if there is no annomaly in the picture, if the picture is not vertically cropped. Than it is comfortoble for widescreen users to play.

And about that advantage on having larger FOV again: widescreen monitors are simply different, so is triplehead so are 2 monitors - one of them supporting tactical map. This is the way it goes today. It would be nice if game developers did reflect that.

But it is not worth arguing or being pissed off. It is not important topic for me. It is not something I would fight for. There are better things in life than having properly done widescreen. You understand

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 06:36 

OK, lets reopen the discussion ..... voala!!........as an OFF-TOPIC there :D

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=189422

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 06:38 

The competition stuff is nonsense. All they have to do is add a server variable that locks the FOV or causes pillarboxing. The only real place this is an issue is at big money PC game tournaments like CPL where $100k is on the line, in that case everyone is using the same setup anyway. What kind of idiot cares if other people in an online UT deathmatch server have extra pixels on the side.

I should note that CS:Source and DOD:Source allow 16:10 hor+ in online play without any problems, at least from my experience playing (a lot).

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 06:56 

To put it simply.. all the people that complain about advantages are just idiots.

Theres no other way to say it...

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 08:12 
Editors
Editors

[quote][quote]For there to be not advantage in any way, the devs must user letter or pillarboxing and choose a single aspect only. See what they say about that.
I disagree ... that restricts the immersion of games and we all want the most immersive experience we can from our games even 4:3 users...

That isn't exactly what I was alluding to. I meant it simply that Vert- wasn't giving the anti-horz+ people the advantage they thought they were getting since the Vertical FOV increase is dramatically larger than the regular Horizontal increase would be when we rotate our widescreens into portrait mode. And if the goal was to TRULY level the playing field in that manner, that boxing the frame is the only way to be truly fair because Vert- still gives widescreen an "advantage".Sorry mate ... I misunderstood ... now I get what you were saying ... 8)

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 08:42 
Insiders
Insiders

And in regards to the moderator that locked the topic due to the devs not believing widescreen had a large share of the market, they can be pointed to the Steam Hardware Survey that says that 16:10 is over 50% of the displays in use.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 09:18 

And in regards to the moderator that locked the topic due to the devs not believing widescreen had a large share of the market, they can be pointed to the Steam Hardware Survey that says that 16:10 is over 50% of the displays in use.

link them to dell you cant even get a low end PC now with a 4:3 LCD
the cheapest PC Dell has comes with a 17" widescreen monitor

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next