Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 21:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Halo 2 For PC?
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2007, 17:15 

When Halo was released on PC, the game sucked so bad it was not playable. However, I re-installed the game yesterday and had a blast. No lag at all and very smooth performance.

I had a P4 2.53 and a GeForce 4200 and i didnt have any problems at all with Halo. It ran as smoothly as anything else, i wasnt using any AF or AA though.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2007, 18:06 

Well my current PC can't play halo 1, so hopefully i can upgrade before 2 :cry:

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2007, 19:15 
Editors
Editors

I ran Halo on my old Athlon XP 2500+, 512MB memory and FX5600 with 256MB and it was choppy at medium quality. Think the res might have been 1024*768 or something.

There must have been something wrong with my setup because it didn't run many games decent. I sold the parts and built a new better one and got nice frame rates in the games I played.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2007, 20:56 

Yeah I obviously upgraded my pc since and that must help a lot. Still I had a decent pc and was sad that the game was not playable at launch for me.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2007, 23:41 

I have no doubts in my mind that vista and direct x will be the next greatest gaming platform. My concern is that transitional stage--where cool new DX10 games are coming out, yet we haven't quite grown tired of our XP optimized games.

It also seems that drivers for some of our older but capable/not really outdated hardware are in their geriatric stages (and are unlikely to carry much vista support) while the newer, trendier hardware is in its infancy and preforming below its potential... pretty awkward time.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2007, 15:14 

I have no doubts in my mind that vista and direct x will be the next greatest gaming platform. My concern is that transitional stage--where cool new DX10 games are coming out, yet we haven't quite grown tired of our XP optimized games.

It also seems that drivers for some of our older but capable/not really outdated hardware are in their geriatric stages (and are unlikely to carry much vista support) while the newer, trendier hardware is in its infancy and preforming below its potential... pretty awkward time.

Agreed. Everyone loses during this time. XP users and Vista users. Nvidia can't get either platform's drivers in a good state with their newest hardware.

When the R600 is released, there will be an 8800GTX for sale for cheap.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 14:09 

Halo is the most over-rated game ever. PC gamers should know that Halo sucks compared to nearly every FPS game on the PC. Half-Life, Quake, Counter-Strike, Enemy Territory, Unreal, Deus Ex, Team Fortress, Tribes, Battlefield...

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 17:43 
Founder
Founder

I wouldn't say that the game absolutely sucks compared to other fps. Sure, maybe it certainly wasn't up to par. It was probably a little too simple for most people, but I certainly had fun with it, especially at LAN parties. Even though it may have had some major flaws, especially the PC port, I considered it to be quite enjoyable. It is quite overrated though.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2007, 00:33 

Different strokes for different folks.

I have a variety of shooters on my PC, halo being the oldest... but it's probably also the one I play the most. I don't much care for the singleplayer anymore (although Legendary was always a challenge) -- for me, it's all about playing CTF blood gulch. There are a LOT of real idiots playing online, but when you wade through them all to find that 1 guy who is just slightly better than you in a pistol fight, man is it fun.

I tried Halo2 for the xbox briefly but I just didn't get the same enjoyment out of it.. probably gave up on it too soon. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the PC release of the number 2 to continue where I left off...

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2007, 06:47 

did u notice this Halo 3 for X360 multiplayer dev diary?
http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=2586&s=l

but we will have to go through Halo 2 on PC first
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQycmO445Xc