Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 02:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2006, 18:34 

Love the game but it is a serious system hog.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2006, 19:12 

Turning down grass view distance to 0 (off), updating to the latest nVidia beta drivers, and turning "max frames to render ahead" down to 0 from 3 (in driver settings with Coolbits2 hack) helped quite a bit (it also got rid of the mouselag I had before). I can now play the game at 1680*1050 at around 15-30 frames per second with my GeForce 6800GT. It's not smooth, but it's playable. I still slightly regret having bought the PC version though (I can't afford to upgrade my PC atm).

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 00:16 

I have been playing Oblivion for 2 days straight now. My weekend falls in the middle of the normal week, so the release date of Oblivion was perfect.

I am already putting this one on my top 5 list. It is amazing! I am surprised that I was able to run the game and get good framerates at 1920x1200 with only 1 x1900xt. (I do have the x1900xt overclocked to above x1900xtx speeds though). At 1920x1200, I get 40-70fps in the indoor areas, and 30-50 outside. It can dip into the 20's in heavy grassy areas. Certainly playable, but being the framerate fanatic that I am, I settled for 1680x1050 to get better framerates. The game is smooth as silk 95% of the time. Load times are fantastic compared to Morrowind.

Graphics are simply the best in any game out right now. The day/night cycle and weather effects are astounding. I just stopped playing a few times to watch the sunrise and sunset. Oblivion has the most convincing sky effects I have ever seen. Most game's the sky is a low res texture map. Oblivion actually has depth. Layers of clouds and the HDR effects on the sun helps the immersion. I love how clouds and trees cast shadows on the ground.

The physics are amazing as well. The first time I was really wowed by it was when I killed a gargoyle type winged creature on a really steep hill, and his body flopped and rolled down the hill (about 150+ feet). It was hilarious.

Combat system is far nicer than the Morrowind system. While similar, Oblivion's just seems more "kinetic". All of your weapons feel like they have "weight" to them. The special moves you get when going up level in your weapons is also very cool. I have only gotten the disarm attack, but it has worked well for me in the arena. (I have reached Hero status in the arena so far). Nothing better than knocking your opponent's weapon to the ground and have them freak out and start trying to punch your shield.

I am so engrossed in this game, I am thinking of cancelling WoW as I don't need (or desire) to play it anymore.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 00:23 

[quote]I have never liked RPG apart from DeusEx ... and that to me wasn't really a RPG ... Oblivon is has me hooked ... I've been playing it nigh on non stop since it arrived this morning ... only breaking to answer emails and tease ... : :mrgreen:

My dear friend, you MUST try Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel. I hated RPGs before I played through those two games.

...and I don't call myself a Star Wars fan either.

Agreed, The Kotor series is great. Very story driven with multiple outcomes. Great stuff. In fact Kotor1 was the only game that I finished(a milestone achievement for me alone) and IMMEDIATELY started over (to play the dark side).

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 02:22 

The moons in Oblivion look kinda bad though, Gabbo. :p That thick black outline around them should be transparent.

I played Oblivion some more. It's good, but all the hype aside, it's got flaws. I've encountered many quests which basically require you to follow NPCs around for several days and spy on them (sounds cool, but it's very boring, and in the end nothing happened, bah) or meet them at specific times. Doing that once or twice would be fine, but most of the quests I've encountered so far had me wishing for some fast-forward function. Yeah, I guess looking for an inn or some bed and then just sleeping works...

The dungeons I've seen so far are quite unimpressive. The first 3 random ones I entered all looked very similar (same textures, lots of repeated architecture and models). Compared to the instances in World of Warcraft, they were extremely uncreative and dull.

All the spells/skills and items don't impress me that much. They don't have as much flare as stuff in, say, Diablo II or World of Warcraft. I'm too tired to try to explain, maybe I'm just a Blizzard fanboy... :p

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 04:28 

TES games are a far different beast than Blizzard rpgs. Blizzard is all about loot. Period. Hence the impressive naming conventions. (i.e. The Ungodly Short Staff of Irrepressible Discontent). Blizzard inundates its players with ridiculous magical items right off the bat, that you kind of lose track of what "normal" is. Give it some time, I imagine the weapons will get way more interesting as you get higher level. Please dont tell me you are still only level 6 with a steel sword and are complaining about loot.

As I have only played Oblivion for a few days, I cannot comment on how all dungeons look the same. The one's I have been through have been cool as hell to me. MMO's need to have even bigger worlds than a single player game because they need to keep people playing for years on end whereas a singleplayer game is 80-100 hours at most. (not including user-mods)

Graphically, WoW doesn't even come close to Oblivion.

TES games are more story driven. The missions that you found boring, others will totally get into.

I am not saying you're wrong or anything, it is just we probably approach the game differently...

or maybe I'm a Elder Scrolls fanboy. :wink:

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 06:11 

I have only seen player screenshots of the games and it looks good from what I can tell. I have the collector's edition sitting on my desk right now but won't have a computer capable of playing it for a few months lol. I figured I'd get started with modding first so I can contribute to the community this go round in TES. The user made mods started surfacing the day after it was released.

Bethesda's Gold: http://www.vagabondangel.com/Oblivion/Screenshots/va_obgold_before.jpg

Modder's Gold: http://www.vagabondangel.com/Oblivion/Screenshots/va_obgold_after.jpg

No contest! :) To those who are playing the game already, are you happy with the FOV in WS?

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 07:58 

I'm running a single 7800GTX at 1920x1200 and the FPS are not too bad at all. It's the outdoor areas with heavy foliage that drag, most indoor areas are just fine. I have HDR enabled too.. just can't resist it.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 08:14 

The moons in Oblivion look kinda bad though, Gabbo. :p That thick black outline around them should be transparent.

I played Oblivion some more. It's good, but all the hype aside, it's got flaws. I've encountered many quests which basically require you to follow NPCs around for several days and spy on them (sounds cool, but it's very boring, and in the end nothing happened, bah) or meet them at specific times. Doing that once or twice would be fine, but most of the quests I've encountered so far had me wishing for some fast-forward function. Yeah, I guess looking for an inn or some bed and then just sleeping works...

The dungeons I've seen so far are quite unimpressive. The first 3 random ones I entered all looked very similar (same textures, lots of repeated architecture and models). Compared to the instances in World of Warcraft, they were extremely uncreative and dull.

All the spells/skills and items don't impress me that much. They don't have as much flare as stuff in, say, Diablo II or World of Warcraft. I'm too tired to try to explain, maybe I'm just a Blizzard fanboy... :p

two things I'd like to mention.

1. There IS a wait function so you don't have to stand around or go to sleep.
2. WoW has what, 15 instances? Oblivion has 200 dungeons, how can you compare them? And yeah many are similar, but there are also tons of very unique ones too. Try going into Oblivion, that was as fun as any WoW instance I ever played.

And try some higher level spells to get more flare...the ones with large AOE or magnitude look awesome and can send things in houses flying all over the room.

Comparing this game to WoW is pretty dumb if you ask me, that's like comparing a final fantasy to gran turismo, they are so different it's just poinltess.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2006, 12:02 

I have been playing Oblivion for 2 days straight now. My weekend falls in the middle of the normal week, so the release date of Oblivion was perfect.

I am already putting this one on my top 5 list. It is amazing! I am surprised that I was able to run the game and get good framerates at 1920x1200 with only 1 x1900xt. (I do have the x1900xt overclocked to above x1900xtx speeds though). At 1920x1200, I get 40-70fps in the indoor areas, and 30-50 outside. It can dip into the 20's in heavy grassy areas. Certainly playable, but being the framerate fanatic that I am, I settled for 1680x1050 to get better framerates. The game is smooth as silk 95% of the time. Load times are fantastic compared to Morrowind.

Graphics are simply the best in any game out right now. The day/night cycle and weather effects are astounding. I just stopped playing a few times to watch the sunrise and sunset. Oblivion has the most convincing sky effects I have ever seen. Most game's the sky is a low res texture map. Oblivion actually has depth. Layers of clouds and the HDR effects on the sun helps the immersion. I love how clouds and trees cast shadows on the ground.

The physics are amazing as well. The first time I was really wowed by it was when I killed a gargoyle type winged creature on a really steep hill, and his body flopped and rolled down the hill (about 150+ feet). It was hilarious.

Combat system is far nicer than the Morrowind system. While similar, Oblivion's just seems more "kinetic". All of your weapons feel like they have "weight" to them. The special moves you get when going up level in your weapons is also very cool. I have only gotten the disarm attack, but it has worked well for me in the arena. (I have reached Hero status in the arena so far). Nothing better than knocking your opponent's weapon to the ground and have them freak out and start trying to punch your shield.

I am so engrossed in this game, I am thinking of cancelling WoW as I don't need (or desire) to play it anymore.

I'm the arena Grand Champion! Muwahah!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next