Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 17:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Titan Quest
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2006, 20:28 
Founder
Founder

That's always possible with new graphics intensive games, but given that a few days earlier I'd completed a 36 hour dual StressPrime2004 run on the CPU without issues (and with the CPU far hotter than it got playing Titan Quest) and a 10 hour loop of 3DMark2006, which really made the temps on the GPU shoot up (6* higher than TQ reached) and it was OK, I don't think temps were the issue for me.

Hmmm... i'm wondering why you would do that. 36 hours straight? I mentioned this to an engineer friend of mine whose been computing since the early Unix days, and he couldn't understand it. He suggested that the crash came about because of all the intense testing, not the game.

About Titanquest.....
It was also interesting to me to see that this game suffers from lag and stutter, regardless of people's machine specs. That was something that really used to bother me - some titles, no matter how you tweaked them - exhibited the same symptoms, and as a system builder I always wondered if that reflected poorly on my abilities as a builder. It felt good to know that a lot of these games tend to act up on their own, rather than it necessarily being an issue with the hardware composition.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2006, 22:31 
Editors
Editors

I noticed the stuttering and lag in the game too, I thought it was my rig, but I've tested it on two differenet ris and got the same result from both.

I've left one machine running it for 3 days and didn't have an error, just kept alt tabbing it when I wanted to get back and play it, it didn't crash once. So I think it's just random crashes, nothing to do with playing time. :?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2006, 22:07 
Editors
Editors

Hmmm... i'm wondering why you would do that. 36 hours straight? I mentioned this to an engineer friend of mine whose been computing since the early Unix days, and he couldn't understand it. He suggested that the crash came about because of all the intense testing, not the game.

Eh... it was 36 hours because I forgot about it. :oops: What can I say, I had two long days... plus, I occasionally do a bout of mass-video encoding. I work on the idea that as long as it's stable for >24 hours, it'll happily encode video until hell freezes over without problems.

Why would it wait four days to have a fit, rather than during stress testing itself? Better yet, why didn't it fall flat when playing Oblivion for the two days prior?

Too many questions, not enough answers. But regardless, something went wrong. :(

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2006, 08:26 
Editors
Editors

Is your rig up and sorted out?

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2006, 09:05 
Editors
Editors

Sort of. It's got a backup card in it at the moment until I can get the X1900 RMA'd. Or I decide to put something else in instead.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2006, 20:56 
Founder
Founder

I noticed the stuttering and lag in the game too, I thought it was my rig, but I've tested it on two differenet ris and got the same result from both.

Yea, I raised my eyebrows when the reviewer on gamespy noted it, and i'm sure a number of other reviewers have noticed it as well. I'm just relieved its an issue on their end (i.e. the developers) rather then mine - i used to stress about this stuff (I think Dungeon siege caused me the most agony) for weeks. :oops:

Sort of. It's got a backup card in it at the moment until I can get the X1900 RMA'd. Or I decide to put something else in instead.

My best - I hope you can get back up and running soon. Hmm, Why is it the most random and unexplainable crashes always happen to the PC's we so lovingly craft together? :wink:

You know, I think I am going to give Titan Quest a try (cross fingers) - this thread helped to convince me, but I wonder if I can get it running in 1920x1200 smoothly?

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2006, 21:51 
Editors
Editors

Thanks, Stretch. :)

I have a copy going spare if you want it... ;)

I didn't have it running in a jerky fashion - it just crashed and nuked my PC in the process! :twisted: I'm not bitter! :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2006, 08:26 
Editors
Editors

With those specs mate, You'd have no problems at all!

It's a great game and the stutering only happens once every so often on different levels.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2006, 17:18 

It's a great game and the stutering only happens once every so often on different levels.

If it's the same stuttering as most people are getting, it only happens in transition areas, mostly in and out of caves. Their code for streaming the different areas doesn't work very well and causes the slowdown. If you just stand still in a loading zone the FPS stay low, almost like it never stops loading and unloading stuff from memory.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2006, 22:27 
Founder
Founder

I have a copy going spare if you want it...

I'll take it! Along with that spare black SPCR case you wanted to give me too.... :wink:

Sweet! Another element that attracted me to Titan quest was the fact that I love the ancient history theme and subject matter. That, plus the fact that I was a little too late to jump on the Diablo wagon will hopefully show me what I was missing all this time. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next