Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 16:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: GTA IV and more and more
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 16:04 
Editors
Editors

Thanks for the details Paddy. Sounds a little better than I thought. No Rockstar Social Club, eh?... Hmm, so maybe that "no-go with Vista64" bit from Hellforge was incorrect, too. :?

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 16:15 
Editors
Editors

Thanks for the details Paddy. Sounds a little better than I thought. No Rockstar Social Club, eh?... Hmm, so maybe that "no-go with Vista64" bit from Hellforge was incorrect, too. :?
Well ... just to try to clarify that about R* Social Club a bit ... you don't have to sign in but it does need to be there running on your system ... else you cant start the game.
When I say running ... I mean there is an icon in the system tray to click to login should you wish to do MP.
It is also added to the system start-up ... :(
I removed it from the start-up with msconfig but when you restart the comp after playing the game it comes back ... :(

A pain and completely unnecessary.

Dunno about Vista 64bit.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 17:07 
Editors
Editors

I friend has tried it out on Vista 64bit and no it doesn't install.
Pathetic really.

... 34% ...
After a sesh of L4D, it's now downloading at 1MB/s which is a bit more reasonable. Maybe I'll play it tonight after all.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 17:22 

Hmm... and to think I was worried I'd be disappointed because I bought the console version instead of waiting, like I normally do...

Anyone who's thinking of buying the game and then cracking it afterward, should be aware of the following:

"Interestingly, the studio noted that those who crack and play the game will have their game experiences changed, ranging from “comical to game-progress-halting changes."

Not sure if it will actually work, they might find a way around it, but it could present a problem.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 17:28 
Editors
Editors

I love that ... it would be even better if it messed up their comps if they used a pirated game.

On the whole I dunno what all the negativity is about ...

The graphics are way better than the console version and it runs well on the recommended settings option.
The highest settings were not meant for current PC's.
They have also taken precautions to stop pirating ... for that you should blame anyone that has ever pirated a game as they the scum ... messing up the pastime that I love to enjoy.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 18:54 
Editors
Editors

It is also added to the system start-up ... :(
I removed it from the start-up with msconfig but when you restart the comp after playing the game it comes back ... :(

A pain and completely unnecessary.
Correction ... :oops: ... If you right click the icon in the system tray for the Social Club it has an option to not start with Windows.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 19:22 

Wow... This sucks.

Stick in your brand new €43 GTA and the very first thing you see:

Nice. On some forums I go to lots of people from my country are having the same issue.

Then installing the thing takes close to an hour and sucks up 50% more space than the whole of my Crytek software folder, which includes Crysis and Crysis: Warhead.

And all the R* internet community-weirdo and Windows Live network bloatware things MUST be installed for my new single player game. They can be skipped during installation, which renders your new installation useless until you install the bloatware manually.

All installed, you click on your GTA shortcut and wait ages for securom checks and activation. After which you're presented with another startup utility with 75% some weird dynamic online content and 5% "play" button. At first I thought I misclicked and started something totally different. I think third time starting the same loader I found the play button and clicked it.

The couple of minutes of R* logos and screenfuls of warning babble for the American of us are, naturally, unskippable.

Then you get ingame, where you head into the options windows to set up your game. You define your controls and close the options window. Then you're greeted with this.

It took them 9 months to release a PC version which they explained with wanting absolute polish and quality. Yeah, real polished...

Oh, and did I mention the fucking startup window nags about me not being "logged on" every time I fire the game up. No, there's no "don't nag again" checkbox.

Speaking of firing the game up again - when I did, I got this. IE 404 in my GTA. Hilarious.

Despite bearing all this shit I still had energy to actually start a new game. Watch the startup demo, rather. See, from a technical point of view, it looks pretty much like GTA 3 with a San Andreas level of detail. And runs about as smoothly as Crysis: Warhead, or worse, actually. In short, it sucks. At this point I've had enough and will shelf the thing until, uh, later. When I was quitting, though, I saw there was no "save" option. WTF is that all about. I'm told by unreliable sources your progress isn't saved unless you're registered and logged online. I'm really having doubts it can really be that broken of a design.

I'm so pissed I spent a full tank of gas' worth on this. The customer experience so far has been absolutely appalling. It's worse than Far Cry 2, seriously. Had I just tested it on a warez copy I wouldn't have bought it.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 19:33 
Editors
Editors

You save your progress by sleeping ... you may have to be logged into windows live ... mine did this automatically in off line mode.

Don't expect to run the game at the highest settings ... run it at the "Auto Configure" for your system ... on the graphics options page.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 19:40 

I wrote the above from an objective PC gamer perspective. Not an "I am an idiot and won't read the manual" perspective.

Case in point, saving. Why do I need to save my game by "sleeping"? Even Far Cry 2 has quicksave and a game doesn't really get more consoley than that one. (Now tell me it does have a quicksave button somewhere and prove I didn't RTFM. :))

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 20:02 
Editors
Editors

You sounded like you were coming from the "I am an idiot and won't read the manual" perspective ... :P

... just joking with you ...

I was just trying to help as you didn't seem to have a clue about the saving.
When I was quitting, though, I saw there was no "save" option. WTF is that all about. I'm told by unreliable sources your progress isn't saved unless you're registered and logged online. I'm really having doubts it can really be that broken of a design.

I didn't mean to get your back up ... sorry if I did.

Saving by sleeping seems pretty reasonable to me for this type of game.
GTA 3 you had to go to your apartment and Vice City had something similar ... but I can't remember what it was.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next