Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 22:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Crysis leaked
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007, 21:11 

Demos are criminally short, lack options, and often times I have no clue whats it about. I do play some of the demos.

And I was saying how we afford $300 card is because we save money this way!

Call it illegal if you want. Argue your way if you want...in the end...I'll still download it. and if I like it. I'll buy it. The only company that has made things worth my money is Epic and Valve. I have legal copies of every UT, Unreal, HL out there. Why? Because they were great games. Heck even my Quake III disk is legit. (I lost it but thats not important) Through time I've bought many games...but how can one handle all the crap thats comming out now? Bittorrent gave me my answer.

Another thing...in the old days you could rent pc games. The idea of piracy wasn't really around until the CD burner. Most Xbox users will admit to renting things. Soooo Think of it as us renting the game...for free...and forever.

So you delete all the games that you do not buy?

Or are they good enough to steal but not good enough to buy?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007, 21:23 

So you delete all the games that you do not buy?

depends on the game the dev if its EA or Ubisoft for get it if its atlest an ok game MAYBE ill buy if it might be good online

other devs ill buy it

the only exception is Bethesda i wont even think of downloading there stuff just becouse the seem get that gamers dont want to deal with shitty copy protection
and the same goes for Massive now too

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007, 22:30 

That actually can be a valid statement.

As in "They're worth 2 bucks but not 50 like they're selling them at"

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007, 23:58 

Not really.

PC games lose value very fast. Get it in the bargin bin if you value it.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2007, 00:02 
Editors
Editors

I don't want to hear 'justifications' for what you do from those pirating stuff.

I don't want to hear 'you'll burn in hell' from anti-piracy advocates.

I was hoping that when this thread was inactive for 12 hours that you'd all disperse quietly, but I can see this has devolved into another piracy argument.

We've had a lot of those, and they are the dead same every time.

So.

Here's a Mod, politely asking you to call this one quits, especially since I have my nice shiny new copy of Crysis sitting in front of me, and I want to play it. ;)

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2007, 00:08 

Not really.

PC games lose value very fast. Get it in the bargin bin if you value it.
I'm saying that pirating games to see if they're worth the money to actually purchase IS a valid statement to make (even if it may not be morally justified).

The one game I pirated was Oblivion, and that was to see if it was any good (no demo available). It turned out to play only okay but because it ran like complete crap, I refuse (to this day) to pay Bethesda money for such horrible software.

And yes, I deleted it as soon as I tried it .

As far as Crysis goes, I didn't pirate it. I had the demo, I was going to buy the game whenever it came out, and that was fine with me. I knew it was most likely going to be good, and if it wasn't then I could say I was one of those that was scammed into buying this game that was supposed to be great.

I wanted to play the game as it was meant to be, and that's not by pirating.

I mean, the first level of the game (essentially) is the entire demo. And I played through that demo so many times, I almost was rushing through the first level of the retail game.

Pirating a game to beat a few levels which I would have to replay for less of the whole fun when I got the retail game is stupid imo. There were some moments in Crysis when I suddenly get surrounded by tons of Koreans, and instead of playing it again and thinking "so this is what I have to do" I instead had to think on the fly and go "hm, where to now."

Same thing happened when I got ambushed by a helicopter on a river.

I find the thrill of playing it through for the very first time so amazing that I would NEVER ruin that for the chance of playing through the game a few days earlier illegally.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2007, 00:25 
Insiders
Insiders

And I was saying how we afford $300 card is because we save money this way!

Then you are robbing the developers in order to pay the hardware manufacturers.

I have legal copies of every UT, Unreal, HL out there. Why? Because they were great games. Heck even my Quake III disk is legit.

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that all of those games have popular multiplayer modes? And that enjoyment of multiplayer modes is seriously hampered by not having a legal copy? I don't think that's a coincidence at all.

how can one handle all the crap thats comming out now?

If it's crap, then the correct way to handle it is to not play it. The wrong approach is to freeload it and then dismiss it as "crap" once you're through with it in order to justify piracy.

I think that's an overly harsh appraisal of the situation. I'll only speak for myself, but I personally try to make it a point to attack pirate's attempts at justifying their behavior and not to rely on personal attacks.

I'm saying that pirating games to see if they're worth the money to actually purchase IS a valid statement to make

For the most part, it isn't. In your specific case, if Oblivion is the *only* game you pirated, and if you would have downloaded a demo instead if one was available, then it might work. But that case just doesn't apply to most self-justifying pirates.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2007, 00:27 

Who am I to judge such things? 8)

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2007, 01:29 

Piracy is not justified, period.

Then again, neither are the drastic drm and misc other 'features' bundled by publishers/developpers/etc.

It's an ongoing war where everyone loses, same as any war.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2007, 04:32 

So much for not talking about piracy. For those playing who's where? I've put about 10 hours into it...my first 2 hours I was rather unimpressed...but they've put together an amazing plot...if my pc could run it higher that would be a little nicer...but over all....I like it. (enough to buy it...whenever its suppose to be out)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next