Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 04:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 23:26 

Trials downloaded in 54 seconds for me. Just awesome.

While ingame @ trials it has alot of 'server connection' errors. Result is that i need to wait some minutes before i can acces a new track after i've completen another. Do you also have this problem? It's seriously anoying...

/edit: I've looked on the steam forum and people seem to think it has to do with the fact the number of players increased dramaticly because of the steam sale. Appearantly the Redlynx server could not handle that... Not sure if that's the case, but i'm not the only one with the problem. So i'm hoping they fix it sometime. I'll play some other game i got through the steam sale till then :p.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 03:49 

Yes. I'm annoyed. Though not really... but i played for two hours, almost finished all the easy tracks and then exited the game. Today i loaded it up and NONE of my progress was saved. Back to tutorials 1,2,3 for me :(

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 04:17 

Hmm, I never got a single one of those "Payment failed" screens (in the six times I bought games since the Xmas sale started).

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 04:51 

Hmm, I never got a single one of those "Payment failed" screens (in the six times I bought games since the Xmas sale started).

Same here....until I tried (and eventually bought) Mass Effect yesterday.

Just one of those things I guess.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 11:13 

I never had it before either, but also for me it was while trying to buy mass effect.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 22:25 

thought I would add to this thread since I just got Steam myself

quirks : - no download throttle (say hi to my unhappy girlfriend when all bandwith is eaten away ...)
-no download size information
-no download prioritize
-no concurrent download limit (hurrah to updating all your games at once !)

for a download service it seems pretty limited to me

additional problems that may be limited to me:
-installing the orange box was a chore : First steam update dll error => so I uninstall & download/install the latest steam from the website
then the cheer number of ports to keep open just for steam seems like a bit too much but whatever ... Second installing from DVDs failed with a "steam server saturated" type of error ... then just after that it begins updating... after a while I understand that he is actually downloading full installs directly from the web => I cancel & restart from DVDs => this time it goes farther and it actually reads from the DVDs a bit more but again I end up with a "steam server saturated" error after like ... 10 minutes of Steam not responding ...

and now a crash ... => relaunched it and it seems there's less to download now, hopefully that will be the end of my problems ...

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 23:28 

-no download size information
-no download prioritize
-no concurrent download limit (hurrah to updating all your games at once !)

Eh?

Having multiple games update at once is VERY rare in any case.

I have never had to open any ports for steam ever, nor any dll errors.

"steam server saturated" would be understandable if it was within the last 20 minutes (when you posted), the servers have gone to hell because of the new L4D2 DLC being released.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 23:42 

is this the new beta steam ?

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 23:44 

is this the new beta steam ?

Its technically out of beta now, they removed the beta icon and it is forced upon everyone on monday.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 23:44 

A lot of steam games run checks on the exe files before launch. Any change and they crash out. I know of a few games that would have widescreen methods if it was not for these checks.

For me Non-Steam Game Version > Steam Game Version

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next