Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 17:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2005, 16:23 

Are there any games that actually give you more viewing area on the left and right?

Every game I've tried so far that offers wide screen resolutions only 'blows up' the screen size, not actually giving you more side viewing area.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2005, 17:38 
Founder
Founder

Some games do, some do not. I would suggest you look at the examples that we have in the screenshots section. Just a few examples...

Act of War does offer more horizontal, but it's overall resolutions are limited.
City of Heroes and World of Warcraft both offer greater horizontal.
The UniWS hack for KOTOR offers greater horizontal, as does the hack for Tiger Woods 2004 and 2005

And that's not even mentioning HL2, all the Quake 3 based games, Far Cry, Doom 3, and Neverwinter Nights.

In many games, whether the horizontal is increased, or the vertical decreased is a moot point. The Sims 2 decreases the vertical at a given POV, but you can zoom in or out to basically correct it. Most FPS games require a FOV adjustment, and can basically overcome the initial "reaction" to the widescreen resolution. But POV and FOV are personal preference to start with.

I don't think I'd call it "lame," but widescreen support isn't perfect. Some games have seen good implementaiton, some mediocre, and some downright poor. Our goal here is to evangelize the benefits of widescreen and speed adoption by both gamers and devs/pubs alike.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2005, 19:57 

Is there a compiled list anywhere of which games truly support wide screen i.e. giving you same view but more view area left and right?

I know for sure HL2 and Cross Racing Championship2005 DO support true wide screen, FWIW.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2005, 22:30 
Editors
Editors

The Master List?

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2005, 22:54 
Founder
Founder

If you look at the Master List, one of my goals is to include the screen impact, whether it gives "Hor +" or "Vert -"

I've only got a few filled in, and would love additional info.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2005, 23:37 

The Master List?

Ah, perfect. I did a search but found some old lame list instead.

Yeah, the list is a bit incomplete on describing how well each game truly supports wide screen.

You can add Cross Racing Championshipe 2005 to the list that it does fully support wide screen; it adds nice extra area on left and right sides and does not change zoom or FOV in any goofy compensating way.
[/list]

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2005, 23:59 
Founder
Founder

Yea, you must have found the old locked threads. The new list of native games and the link to the master list is sticked in the Solutions section.

Can you pull two screen captures of that game and send them to me? I'd love to put them on the forum

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2005, 07:43 

Some games do, some do not. I would suggest you look at the examples that we have in the screenshots section. Just a few examples...

Act of War does offer more horizontal, but it's overall resolutions are limited.
City of Heroes and World of Warcraft both offer greater horizontal.
The UniWS hack for KOTOR offers greater horizontal, as does the hack for Tiger Woods 2004 and 2005

And that's not even mentioning HL2, all the Quake 3 based games, Far Cry, Doom 3, and Neverwinter Nights.

In many games, whether the horizontal is increased, or the vertical decreased is a moot point. The Sims 2 decreases the vertical at a given POV, but you can zoom in or out to basically correct it. Most FPS games require a FOV adjustment, and can basically overcome the initial "reaction" to the widescreen resolution. But POV and FOV are personal preference to start with.

I don't think I'd call it "lame," but widescreen support isn't perfect. Some games have seen good implementaiton, some mediocre, and some downright poor. Our goal here is to evangelize the benefits of widescreen and speed adoption by both gamers and devs/pubs alike.

Far Cry does not properly support widescreen. The resolutions are there but the FOV remains the same as the 4:3. I'd say the vast majority of shooters leave the FOV the same for both widescreen and 4:3, so you actually end up seeing less instead of more. Few or them let you properly adjust the FOV.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2005, 22:22 

Far Cry doesn't support widescreen? You sure about that? 1680x1050 is what I run it in, and it doesn't look stretched out at all.

WoW, Star Wars Battlefront II, Half Life 2, F.E.A.R. (w/ hack, looks freaking unbelievable), and Age of Empires III all support true widescreen 1680x1050.

Battlefield 2, and any EA game for that matter (particularly sports) don't support WS.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2005, 03:04 

Far Cry isn't stretched, it is cropped. Here is the fix:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8914&highlight=lua#8914