Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 17:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2005, 05:11 

Wholly mother of something, this game is kick ass!!!!!!!!! WOW. Now, I can add this game to the list of games I have played that left lasting impressions on me, like playing Half-Life for first time, GoldenEye on nintendo, Doom on playstation, FarCry and Call of Duty and Doom 3.

Someone mark October 18, 2005 on thier calendar because a new era of First Person Shooter for the computer has finally arrived.

FEAR is what FarCry, Doom 3, Half-Life 2 and Soldier of Fortune should have been!!! Damn, this is a good game. What is it that makes this game so special? ahem, yes indeed.....

1. Enemy AI. OMG, I got in a firefight with four soldiers, and before I knew what happened two of em snuck around behind me and there I was in the MIDDLE with two in front of me and two behind me!!!!!!!!! Wholly shit. They flank your ass all the time! We all remember the enemy voice chatter on the radio from the original Half-Life, "recon" well it's in this game big time. Words cannot describe the combat in this game, the enemy talks smack to you too, its simply the best ever seen by this poster.

2. Graphics, well its got the Half-Life 2 graphics and then some. Lighting and Shadows and particle effects are extraordinary. Try this on for size.... Blood dripping off a ledge in individual droplets and dropping 8 feet below spattering into a puddle of blood, omg. I stood under the blood droplets and if the blood had dripped onto my rifle and fell off that, I would have pissed my pants, but no such luck, hahaha. They are not THAT good yet.

3. Atmosphere, ambience, Sound. This game should win an Oscar for these three things. THIS is what I believe is so critical and what draws you into the game and has been missing from all previous first person shooters. FEAR finally delivers. This game sends chills running up and down your spine. Don't play this game alone in the dark with the sound turned up, its just too scary.

To sum up I would describe this game as a combination of System Shock and Half-Life 2 and CounterStrike. You got the visuals, combat, storyline, horror, enemy AI, a Mature rating hell throw in the girls from DOA Beach Volleyball and you would have the best PC game of all time!

FEAR is a pc game you hope never ends.

This game is really really good.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2005, 09:20 
Insiders
Insiders

might give it a whirl now my x-fi fatality is here :P

DC3217IYE | 1x4GB Vengeance | 64GB M4 | TX-42VT20E

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2005, 21:03 
Founder
Founder

Sounds interesting. Glad you're enjoying the game. :)

I played the demo, and thought that they did a wonderful job creating an atmosphere of suspense and tension. When it came around to the firefights though, things seemed to get somewhat monotonous. It felt like standard first person faire with bullet time.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2005, 21:45 
Founder
Founder

The scary stuff for the most part is just.. not that scary. I did jump out of my seat once, when a body flew through a window, but that's about it. And the ending was pretty funny. I enjoyed it anyway though, it's unique at least among the current crop of shooters.

But the gameplay is what keeps me coming back, this game has the best shootouts of any FPS. The weapons all feel good to fire, there's plenty of gore to make you feel like you accomplished something :) and all the debris and dust that flies everywhere.. things can get insane. Though I did find the game too easy, even on Extreme difficulty. I just started the game again (this is my 3rd time through the game) and decided that I will not use slomo at all. So far it's adding a little more challenge, I imagine it will be really hard on some of the later areas.

I guess I'm rambling a bit.. all I need to say is, this game has great shooting action. If you're looking for some variety, like a level where you can drive a vehicle or something, you're not going to find it. But if you want some pure, awesome FPS gameplay, this game has got it.

Personally I prefer that. Half-Life 2 for example was a great game, but they were always trying to mix things up on me (way too much time spent driving go-kart and hovercraft) when all I wanted to do was shoot zombies and combine soldiers.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2005, 23:37 
Insiders
Insiders

there was too much to the hovercraft and driving bits in HL2, nova prospect was so awesome, must give it a whirl again ;)

DC3217IYE | 1x4GB Vengeance | 64GB M4 | TX-42VT20E

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2005, 10:14 
Founder
Founder

there was too much to the hovercraft and driving bits in HL2, nova prospect was so awesome, must give it a whirl again ;)

Slightly off topic, but that reminds me. You got me interested in trying out HL 2 again, but the darn game still "stutters" on me every now and again, even on my new system. Crzy! :shock:

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2005, 14:21 

Yes, this game has the best combat and shootouts ever put to PC. This game is not a fragfest like Serious Sam or Quake but if you want serious enemy artificial intelligence, it can't be beat.

The realism comes into play when you have a shootout and debris like dust and paper is flying everywhere from the bullets, and you hear the empty cartridges rattle when they hit the ground.

I think the developers of this game put top priority on making it feel like Counter-Strike. This game is for people who love Counter-Strike with added horror element.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2005, 15:18 
Editors
Editors

Eh, well, I'm not that keen on Counter Strike, but I'm impressed by FEAR. It even runs reasonably well, although I did spend a while playing with the settings to find the best ones. The only problem was that the 'test' ran fine on 1680x1050, but in the game itself, it was very sluggish. Nice and playable on 1280x800, though. :D

You're right about the AI. Wow! :shock:

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2005, 17:24 

Loved the demo, but seemed a tad scripted to me. But I do love the AI, and maybe it's because they tend to chose the same actions more often than not. My wife picked up the full game yesterday, but I refuse to install it until my Logitech G15 shows up in the mail. I so want to play FEAR with the sound up and the lights off. ;)

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2005, 19:47 

So is widescreen supported out of the box (ie custom resolutions etc from NVIDIA drivers)??

HL-2 is the best at this - if you HDTV can show it - it just shows up as an option