Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 12:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Movies... WS?
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2005, 18:55 

Hey all,

I am currently playing "The Movies" and wanted to know if there is any widescreen support for the game? If so, do i need a hack or just changing some settings...

I am currently on a standard 17"CRT and waiting on 19" WS tft to arrive....

I want to get prepaired.... :twisted:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2005, 14:09 
Editors
Editors

Hi,

I'm not sure about the Widescreen Support side of things, but what I want to know is how is the game? Is it any good?

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2005, 01:49 
Insiders
Insiders

The game is terrible. It's a sub-par tycoon game with an interface that is totally inadequate for all the micromanagement the game demands, and the movies you make all suck.

And the game supports widescreen resolutions, but they just stretch the picture. Maybe a better solution exists, but I couldn't be bothered to look for it.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2005, 15:10 
Editors
Editors

I read a review stating it was defo worth a buy, but by the sounds of things, I might leave it.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2005, 16:38 

I read a review stating it was defo worth a buy, but by the sounds of things, I might leave it.

I think the game is great!!! I have my girlfriend hocked on it too!!! If you can find it cheap, well worth it :)

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2005, 15:34 

I have my girlfriend hocked on it too!!!

You can sell your significant other in the game? Cool!

:P

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2005, 12:17 

Hhahahh Komoto.

The game is terrible. It's a sub-par tycoon game with an interface that is totally inadequate for all the micromanagement the game demands, and the movies you make all suck.

It's 1:16am and that comment made me crack up.

I went into this part of the forum to actually ask about this game. But I don't want to make movies that suck!! :)

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2006, 04:14 

I really like this game. Sure, you don't have a ton of freedom when it comes to actually making the movies (like custom camera angles) but what options they do give you is quite large. A lot of people are starting to make some very creative movies and posting them on Lionhead's site. Some of them are amazing. One guy is redoing King Kong 1940 and what he has done with custom backdrops, ingenious use of props and real voice acting, is really amazing.

The weird thing is, I really don't usually like micromanagement/RTS type games, but this one is very fun to me.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2006, 04:49 

I really like this game. Sure, you don't have a ton of freedom when it comes to actually making the movies (like custom camera angles) but what options they do give you is quite large. A lot of people are starting to make some very creative movies and posting them on Lionhead's site. Some of them are amazing. One guy is redoing King Kong 1940 and what he has done with custom backdrops, ingenious use of props and real voice acting, is really amazing.

The weird thing is, I really don't usually like micromanagement/RTS type games, but this one is very fun to me.

You and me are totally opposite on this one. I typically enjoy micomanagement/RTS games. I enjoy a well done 'tycoon' game, but this one...it just lacked direction. I don't care about putting stars in stylish clothes or trying to put together custom movies unless there's some strategic reason to do so. Hammering out computer-generated scripts was no less effective than anything I might custom-create. So in my mind the entire custom creation system, while in-depth, is just icing. Same goes for the doll-dressing system. Take all that icing away, and the game feels like a pretty bare and tedious Tycoon game.

Definitely not a title for everyone, but I can see how it would hold its charm for a certain audience.