Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 11:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2006, 09:38 
Editors
Editors

What do you guys think about these? I'm kinda of tempted to get city of Heros but the subscription side of things seems wierd.

How does it work, set up a credit card payment and off you go??

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2006, 11:16 
Editors
Editors

I think you can get City of Heroes and City of Villains for the same 'all in one' subscription. That's a pretty good deal, I guess...

I don't really like subscription games because I don't want to outlay £x a month on a game that's already cost me £30-35. If the games were cheaper, I could deal with it; say, £15 for the game, and then a £5-8 fee... but the early games had exorbitant monthly fees...

I think it's pretty much 'credit card and away'. :)

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2006, 13:09 
Editors
Editors

That's the same thing that I think about the whole ordeal. I'm really having double thoughts about doing it, I mean yeah the games sounds cool, but subscription? I don't want to keep on paying to play!

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2006, 13:40 

I play World of Warcraft and to me the monthly outlay is very much worth it. Mainly due to the massive amount of time I play.

I have been playing for arounf 11 months now any have not bought a game since then. I may play COD or Rome:TW now and again but WOW is far more fun due to the social aspect.

To be realistic i have saved money playing WOW but on the down side I have missed the excitment of all the big titles of the year (HL2, COD2, expansions etc.).

I would say if you like all the latest games when they come out, dont bother with an online game, they suck your life away form you (good thing i dont have one :D )

Of course I can buy all the games I want on budget :D

The money aspect is best broken down appox. £10 on subscription or £40 on coffee a month (Evil Starbucks). just braek it down into hours played.

Oh and you get the first month free so you can stop and not pay from there.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2006, 14:45 
Editors
Editors

that's true, I didn't think about the try it first if you like it, keep going, if not, just uninstall it.

Still though, I don't want to get sucked into that online shit, I play enough games as it is.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2006, 14:49 
Editors
Editors

I believe guildwars is free after you bought it, isn't it? Same type of gameplay but without the need to play because you have to pay. (gheghe, that rhymes)

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2006, 15:06 

indeed it is

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2006, 16:21 
Editors
Editors

When I've got a broadband connection again during the week, I'm contemplating getting Guild Wars... :D

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2006, 22:16 

I've been playing mmorpg since Ultima Online. I think they are very much worth the price (if you're having fun, of course!) Most bundle a free month with purchase, so you can check it out and see if you like it.

Right now I'm on Sony's Station Pass, which gives me access to a bunch of games: Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest and Everquest II, Planetside and Matrix Online to name some. I play SWG, EQ2 and PS. Also subscribed to Eve Online.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2006, 22:24 

I played City of Heroes/Villains for about a year. I would say that it was worth every penny. Rarely do I find a game that I want to play that much. It's just insanely fun when you're with a good group of people.

But on the general topic of pay to play games, I look at it like this:

If you go to two movies a month, that's at least $15. $15 for 3-4 hours of entertainment. I could easily play 3-4 hours of City of Heroes in one night. For a dollar per hour comparison, depending on how much you end up playing, a pay to play game is going to actually be way cheaper than most any other form of entertainment out there.

Another point: Over the course of a year, I played a total of $325 for City of Heroes. $35 for CoH, $50 for CoV and $240 in monthly fees (I'm Canadian.) Compared to non-pay to play games, that equals about 5 new games (at $65 each). Even if there were 5 games in a year that I wanted (there definitely isn't because most games are complete crap now), you looking at an average of 20 hours of playtime per game for a total of 100 hours. Again, pay to play gives you far more bang for your buck.

I guess if you're into certain games like BF2, Counterstrike, etc you get unlimited replay value for free, but for myself, I'm not into those types of games.

As far as I'm concerned, pay to play, as long as it's a game you're going to play a fair bit (you probably will anyways since you're paying for it) are definitely worth the money. Also, at least with a pay to play game, you're kindof assured of getting constant support. Look at how many games get released and might get a patch or two and then support is pulled. Hell, some game sbarely get out the door before they're canned. Hello UBISoft and VUGames!