Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 20:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Everquest II on 30" Dell
PostPosted: 15 May 2006, 18:38 

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has run Everquest II on the Dell 3007fpw?
What sort of setup was required, any problems patches etc.

PostPosted: 16 May 2006, 03:30 

I can only imagine that you would need a beast of a system to play that at the native resolution of a 3007. EQ2 was a pretty graphically intensive game. I would think that you would need SLI or a Crossfire configuration to really enjoy smooth framerates.

But since I don't have a 3007 or play EQ2 anymore.... i guess I shouldn't be posting... but here I am anyways. :)

PostPosted: 16 May 2006, 13:47 

EverQuest 2 has, like all of Sony Online Entertainment's games, an extremely unoptimised graphics engine. There's no way you'll be able to get smooth framerates in that game on a 30" monitor's native resolution at medium-high settings.

Get World of Warcraft. You'll be able to play that on a 30" widescreen at max details without any problems. :)

PostPosted: 16 May 2006, 15:00 

Thanks for the replies, I've sadly grown very bored of WOW, just not my sort of game.

Looks like I'll not be running Everquest II in native resolution. :(

PostPosted: 17 May 2006, 03:46 

I have a Crossfire X850XT setup running on my Dell 24" and EQ2 runs with just a little lag for me. You can try running it be extending the letterbox option in the EQ2 UI and moving your chat and button windows into the black border areas, that might net you a few frames.

PostPosted: 20 May 2006, 17:02 

When i played EQ2 i used to have a Northwood and my 6800GT and was able to play on the High Quality settings just fine on my 2405FPW.

You Could probably get away with playing at the 30" native res if you lets say, put the game on Medium Quality then go into the options and tweak it a little and get rid of some not needed features like the vegetation dynamic interaction or whatever it was called.

The water effect turn them off, all it takes away is the way water would move if you swim in it or interact with it in any sort of way. also you could lower the environment texture quality and still keep the high details on the character model. lower the draw distance also helps and the letter box i always kept it big enough to fit the chat windows at the smallest verticle size inside the black border.

Well i talk to much but hopefully you can enjoy EQ2 at native res ^^

PostPosted: 20 May 2006, 19:25 

sadly, EQII didnt have any benefit from running in crossfire at all :-(

PostPosted: 29 May 2006, 13:35 

I'm running EQII on virtually all high settings w/ no problems in native resolution on my new 42' Westinghouse LCD. I am running in SLI though.

Also, if anybody can tell me how to make the icons, and other text and boxes in game larger, I would appreciate it. I can get the text box chat font size larger, but that seems to be it.

https://www.westinghousedigital.com/pc-44-7-42-1080p-monitor.aspx

PostPosted: 31 May 2006, 18:43 

It's all subjective. Everyone here who is playing it at 1900x1200 or above with high details are probably averaging below 30fps, likely below 20.

Some people find that acceptable, some people find it makes their eyes bleed.