Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 02:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2007, 00:32 

Hi,

I am about to purchase a dell 2007WFP 20' monitor.
As a gamer, i know i wont always be able to run games on its native resolution 1680x1050, so i am curious to know how well this monitor runs in lower resolutions at games?

Also, is there any major difference between the S-PVA panel and the S-IPS one it uses?
Which one is better for games?

Thanks in advance :wink:

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2007, 02:38 
Insiders
Insiders

Depending on your video card, it might not matter how well any monitor can handle lower resolutions. If you have a Geforce 6 series or better, you can (and should) set your video card to do the upscaling so your video doesn't have to. Basically what this does is it makes it so that if you play a game at, say, 640x480, your video card will scale it up to 1400x1050, then slap 140 pixel-thick black bars to the left and right of it making it a 1680x1050 picture, and your monitor will receive a 1680x1050 signal. Note that this is best (possibly only) achieved via DVI, which you should use.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2007, 08:46 

Wouldnt it still be a 1680x1050 fps?
And what does it mean? that i will run the same as 3:4, and have 2 black bars at the corners of the monitor?

I got confused :?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2007, 09:27 

Are you asking what are the other resolutions this monitor has, except its native?

If so, I think like all monitors lcd monitor with native resolution, nothing below will look as good! for example any 19", you lower the res below its native and it wont really look good

edit: maybe im wrong, and lower resolutions will look fine but just with black bars

It is more important what graphic card you got, see first reply

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2007, 10:30 

But i didnt really understand what he said, if i do this process, will i have the black bars on the side of the monitor?

I am new to the widescreens :cry:

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2007, 12:20 

Wouldnt it still be a 1680x1050 fps?
And what does it mean? that i will run the same as 3:4, and have 2 black bars at the corners of the monitor?

I got confused :?

Careful, don't upset the cranky.

What I understand what Cranky Hermit (when he comes out of hermatism, he is cranky. I risk me and my families life for saying this) is saying is that its up to the GPU to scale the resolution. If your monitor is a widescreen, and your GPU doesnt do that shet, then it will (could) put black bars on the sides (ie if it is an old GPU). If it is mega old like mine, then it will stretch the resolution like John Holmes. If you have a fairly new GPU then you won't have any probs with Resolutions.

So that leads us to how stretched your...I mean what system do you have?

[Admin Edit - No non-family friendly gifs please.]

EDIT: Yep, sorry, my fault.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2007, 20:13 

8800GTX
But i still didnt get a straight answer about the resolution, if i set it through the GFX, will it place black bars at the right and left sides of the screen?

Also, if someone knows:
Is there any major difference between the S-PVA panel and the S-IPS one it uses?
Which one is better for games?

Of course we are talking about the specific monitor.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2007, 08:55 

My experience with an S-PVA panel is that it looses dark clarity when looking straight on. As in, I was in the dark background of a picture and I could barely make myself out. Until I looked at it from a slight angle either left or right. It bugged me enough to return the Gateway FPD2185W. It was a great monitor, good colors (in my opinion), but that bugged me too much.

This post at [H]ardForum has some nice pictures at the bottom.

(I'm currently looking for an I-SPS panel, and I've narrowed my search to the Dell 2007WFP and the NEC 20WMGX2.)[/url]

Oh, and as far as response time varying from the I-SPS and the S-PVA, I couldn't tell you. Sorry. (Although I would assume that the I-SPS would be a little slower, if any at all.)

And about scaling, nVidia's drivers should allow you to set scaling as you have said in the Display Properties. Something about scale with aspect ratio, maybe. This laptop screen has "expand while maintaining aspect ratio," which it wouldn't do on the Gateway when hooked up via VGA. I haven't used an nVidia with a widescreen, though.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2007, 19:11 

um, i saw the 4:3 version of this and the picture and words were very stale,flate and not very colorful. so murky. if you want to run it smooth get a good 256 or higher mb video card. i'm stuck with a 9800 pro, so i'm safe at around 1280x1024 any higher than that expect lag.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 01:36 

oook playing xbox 360 on a compent is weird. everything too dark. is this the falt of that? or is vga make it ever brighter? i can't stand the darkness.