Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 00:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dual monitors
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 11:00 

Perhaps my search wasn't using good enough keywords but I couldn't find what I am after.

I have seen the screenshots section and well, yes they are screen shots of the screen contents ;) funny how that works.

What I would like to see is how a game, say like WOW with the character centred on the screen looks from you the player.

Naturally the thinner the frame the better, but if anyone is playing games only on dual monitors, could they please provide a photo of how it looks/give some feedback as to what they think of dual say 20" monitors over a single 24".

Cheers

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 13:14 

Pipchaser, if you're looking to play games on multi monitors. Don't go dual screen, it's not nearly as good as having 3 monitors (Checkout Paddy's TripleHead2Go review, or any of the TH2G posts). I've had two 2405's and honestly it's not even playable for gaming. Specifically FPS games.
I'm running just one 2405 right now and it's fantastic for gaming. Though if you've got money to blow, go get 3 monitors (Read TripleHead2Go reviews/features before buying, there are limitations).

When I had the two monitors I did a little comparison in the game F.E.A.R. using pictures taken more from the gamers perspective rather than just an ingame screenshot. This post is where that stuff can be found. Also there are tons of posts with 3x monitors being shown off to give you more of an idea of what it'll look like.

If you ask me though, if you want something ment for gaming between 20-24"... The Dell 240x is a great way to go. Dual 20" monitors won't give you much of a benefit in gaming, while like I said already, triple screens is the way to go if you insist on having multiple screens.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 23:44 

Cheers Ice...knew there was one somewhere.

Not quite in a position to pick up 3 screens at the moment. The consideration of two monitors over 1 23 or 24" is one based on $$.

I saw teh writeup on the TH2G and was quite impressed, but a little too far for me at the moment.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2006, 03:34 
Founder
Founder

Hi Pip,

Just thought i'd repost this comment of mine from another thread. Personally i'd love to see more dual monitor support - if we've got widescreen support and triple monitor support, how hard could it be to implement dual monitor support eh?

Other thread comments:

Dual-head gaming on all but a few games is worhtless anyway. You have no center screen and that usually messes things up.

For all practical purposes this is true, and yet....

This mockup from 2 years ago still makes me wistful sometimes.

What was it? About six years ago, Matrox was starting to push for dual monitor gaming support. They had Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator, Flight Simulator, Renegade Race, Microsoft Baseball 2000 and one or two others on board, but it never quite took off.

Still I can't help but wonder if this might strike a nice middle ground for those who don't want to buy three monitors, but don't mind getting one extra, or might have one extra laying around. For now I guess its a dead concept, but with Matrox you never know. :wink:

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2006, 14:21 

That's a nice shot you got there of 1942. I wish more games would do that kind of thing ya know? I wanna say something like Guild Wars would make use of dual monitors because you can move your HUD to anywhere and whatnot. But even still you're crosshair is in the middle of the two screens, not too bad for a click around to move game, but...

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2006, 19:08 
Founder
Founder

"]But even still you're crosshair is in the middle of the two screens, not too bad for a click around to move game, but...

Yea, I hear ya - having that crosshair in split b/w two screens is definitely no good, it would distract me to no end. Your comment about Guild Wars got me to thinking a bit. The main advantage of having two monitors I think, aside from being able to spread out your view like a widescreen monitor can (albeit with a split where the monitor bezel is), is that you could have the option to access all kinds of tactical data on your second screen while all the in-game action occured on the other.

Do you remember that Netrisca (hope I spelled that right) in-game menu from Serious Sam? Having something like that would be pretty cool - you could track new monster data, weapon info and maybe even chart your progress along the game map, all without having to hit esc to bring up a menu.

What might even be cooler - and this might really be getting into the territory of wistful thinking, but what the hey - is if developers took an approach that really utilized the dual monitor experience. So instead of just showing menu/inventory data on your second screen you'd have access to all sorts of other things - incoming data transmissions from allies, FMV sequences, interactive tool kits etc, so that the second monitor went from being a passive resource to an actively integrated part of the game; something that enhanced the whole experience.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2006, 00:51 

>>> is that you could have the option to access all kinds of tactical data on your second screen while all the in-game action occured on the other.

Excellent idea and noticed yuo covered that in your screen shot.

I guess dual screening is the first step to tri-screening. Seeing that and reading both your and Ice's comments reminded me of a game somewhere in the netherworld of the back of mind where such implentation would have been great.....old age is setting in and I can't recall which bloody game it owuld be.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2006, 01:00 

Seriously, if Nintendo can do it, why can't the PC world? :P.

I completely agree though, once you use dual monitors or more, its hard to use a single screen and it would be lovely if you could also use that extra monitor in games.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2006, 01:52 
Founder
Founder

Hey guys, I've been thinking about his topic more and more as of late. Seems kind've a shame that it was dropped by from the gaming landscape, but it looks like a few people out there are still toying with it.

I was just browsing around and found this picture online. It's kinda hard to see in the dark, but it looks like this guys is using two 19" or 20" displays to play Battlefront 2.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2006, 02:10 

excellent thanks Stretch.

will let you know how I go in the next couple of days...