Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 22:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2006, 00:51 
Insiders
Insiders

Note: This post was originally a little more enthusiastic, which is why the responses below may seem out of context.

http://www.sierra.com/en/home/games/game_info.prod-L2NvbnRlbnQvc2llcnJhL2VuL3Byb2R1Y3RzL2tpbmdfc19xdWVzdF9jb2xsZWN0aW9u.platform-global.html

Take a close look at the copyright info at the bottom:
DosBox © 1989-2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc. for more information go to http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

So what does this mean? It took them two years to stick a bunch of old and unmodified DOS games onto a disc along with DOSBox? If that's the case, I won't be buying any of these. I can already do that with the compilations I bought in 1996.

Oh, and notice that "printer" is among the minimum requirements. Does this mean that the original copyright protection will still be there, only this time the answers are on PDFs?

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2006, 03:49 
Founder
Founder

Hot DAMN!!! This looks to be official:

http://www.sierra.com/en/home/games.html

I'm calling my local EB Games tomorrow. If they don't show them, I'm ordering these tomorrow. In honor of this, check out my [rul=http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/]post [/url]on a native solution to the latest Leisure Suit Larry.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2006, 04:19 
Insiders
Insiders

http://www.sierra.com/en/home/games.html

Excellent. But what's not so excellent is the LSL collection, whose lack of LSL7 disturbs me (yet they have a screenshot of it, which is rather odd). LSL7 is easily the best LSL sequel, almost as good as the original, and possibly funnier. The humor in 2 through 6 seemed to consist entirely of cruel pranks being played on Larry (LSL6 seemed particularly mean-spirited), which I just find to be poor taste and not funny. And I'd say what I think of LSL:MCL, but the voices in my head tell me not to.

Fortunately, the rest of them are more or less complete. KQComp is missing Mask of Eternity, which I thought was a decent game but a lousy KQ, so it isn't really an essential KQ. SQComp has everything. PQComp has all four of the good adventure games; it's missing the SWAT games, the first one of which was utter crap and totally unplayable, not to mention spans 4 CDs, and the others aren't remotely adventure games.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2006, 04:24 
Founder
Founder

King's Quest was the first game I ever played on a PC - a PCjr at that. I finished all the KQ's (except for 5), all the SQ's, the first QfG, and the first couple LSL's. I think I finished the first PQ, but those were hard with the regulations as such. I will be picking them all up.

I had a friend who beat KQ2 twice. Doesn't sound like a hard feat, but the save feature wouldn't work for him, and he didn't know about the sugar cube to protect you from the poison brambles. I don't know how many times he got over half way through to die walking through those trees.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2006, 10:15 

Oh, this is awsome new. I loved the old Sierra RPGs, Space Quest particularly. I will defenitly pick that one up and probably the others. Hopefully the will come out QFG also. I think I still have all of the SQ series, most on floppy. I haven't tried to play them in so long. At least I won't have to worry about compatiblility with XP.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2006, 10:56 

Thats awesome!!!

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2006, 12:01 

you guys are all giving away your age. :wink:

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2006, 12:30 
Editors
Editors

Lol, well, i can appreciate these games aswell and I'm 20. :D

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2006, 17:11 
Editors
Editors

Sign me up! :D

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2006, 17:36 

OMG! Best news all year!

Well... maybe second to getting engaged... maybe...