Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 01:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 16:50 

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=13049860
When you open the box, a big slip of paper falls out first, preceeding any discs or manuals. The slip of paper says, essentially, that 2142 includes monitoring software which runs while your computer is online, and records "anonymous" information like your IP address, surfing habits (probably via cookie scans), and other "computing habits" in order to report this information back to ad companies and ad servers, which generates in-game ads.

Now, I can live with certain in-game ads (though apparently there will be Dodge truck and Neon ads in the bleak, futuristic world of 2142), but including a lengthy description - outside of even the Eula - seems to indicate even EA knows that this is some shady borderline spyware ****. I don't support it and won't be buying 2142 (for a host of other reasons, too).

Sickening. They should at lest make this a option. Letting you decide if you want to participate or not. But it appears to be one of those terms and agreements things. Were AFTER you buy the game you must agree to be spied on and allow you be ad to death in the game, or else you can't play. Bleh I say.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 17:22 

and? do you have to hide something? :lol:

That isn't an good idea from EA but who cares?
Not me, but the ea haters! :P

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 18:30 

Uhm. I hate that argument. "If you have nothing to hide, what do you have to fear". Let me know how you feel about that when all governing bodies feel like just invading your home. Of course, you won't mind because you have "nothing to hide" right? :roll:

This is complete BS on EAs part and it's just another reason not to buy BF2142.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 19:54 

I also hate that expression. It's like saying "If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear from daily cavity searches." EA is already a making millions; there's no justification for ads unless it meant a reduction in game cost. And as for spyware - there's no justification whatsoever.

This is not the game to be introducing in-game advertising. A game like GTA would have been a wiser & more logical choice to debut this technology.

...though apparently there will be Dodge truck and Neon ads in the bleak, futuristic world of 2142...

What a bleak future... :shock:

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 19:58 

I guess they're like cockroaches :P.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 20:11 

Uhm. I hate that argument. "If you have nothing to hide, what do you have to fear". Let me know how you feel about that when all governing bodies feel like just invading your home. Of course, you won't mind because you have "nothing to hide" right? :roll:

This is complete BS on EAs part and it's just another reason not to buy BF2142.

Fully, 100% agreed. I fookin' HATE that sh!t. :x :evil: You've paid for the right to play the game, not to have them spy on your system or internet preferences. People need to stand up against this crap, or it will continue unchecked. I wouldn't care what game this was, if it had this crap, I wouldn't buy it/play it.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 20:19 

:? Sucks.. I never bought BF2.. this one looks fun, but just to many iffy things..

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 20:57 

and? do you have to hide something? :lol:

That isn't an good idea from EA but who cares?
Not me, but the ea haters! :P

Your are completely missing the point here, as in clueless.

Sorry I don't mean to sound harsh or rude, but try to get a slight idea of what this is, if you can.

I hope your fellow Germans aren't as clueless and non-caring as you.

ALOHA

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 21:32 

I'll allow generated ads in my game, but why on earth do they need to monitor my system?

Yet another reason not to buy bf2142.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 21:37 

http://www.pointofexistence.com/

That + BF2 = Best FPS in Existence

And, if you are wondering what the Point of Existence is, well...It is, to eat cake, when and where there is cake.