Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 23:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 22:17 

I got bored with shooting and blowing things up a little. I have been looking around for some driving/racing demos, and there isn't a lot. Is this genre dead on Windows or what? The last driving game I really liked was NFS Porsche Unleashed. I haven't seen anything fun since then and the NFS series pretty much died out, right? Any suggestions please? Track, off-road, rally, whatever as long as it doesn't involve shotting, just pure driving fun.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 22:45 
Editors
Editors

Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

That's the most recent one. We have a way of making it work in widescreen. Looks nice, play is interesting. Enjoyable game.

Before NFS:MW, the last NFS games I enjoyed were 2 SE, 3 and 4. :)

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 23:03 

Thanks. I tried the demo a while ago and I think I had some problems with it, can't remember exactly what it was, controls most likely didn't work properly. I'm downloading it now to try again.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 23:42 
Editors
Editors

Driver series sucked too!

I think Toca 3 the new one coming out is supposed to have a wickedly vast driving experience.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2006, 23:52 
Editors
Editors

I liked Driver. It was really fun. :D

Driver 2 never appeared on the PC, and Driv3r sucked so much it was practically a black hole... ;)

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2006, 00:07 

Ah, yeah. There are a number of issues I have with the NFSMW demo: it stutters on dual core CPU, so I have to Alt-Tab to Task Manager to change the affinity, but then most of the time I can't go back to the game, it either quits or freezes. The few times I was able to play it I found it annoying not be able to shift into reverse, you have to press a separate button on the wheel or key on the kb to go into reverse. Also, there is no controller sensitivity setting AFAIK. There is no way to permanently set the wide resolution either - I used the nfsmwres.exe utility. And what's the deal with these virtual walls? I thought it was supposed to be an open game. So overall, there are way too many issues for this to be enjoyable :( I'm very picky when it comes to controls, and if I can't have it my way, I can't play a game.

Eh, I guess I'll go back to shotting and blowing things up :)

Test Drive Unlimited video looks nice.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2006, 15:14 

Colin McRae Rally 2005's kicks serious ass.

NFS:Most Wanted sucks imho, mainly because it's got really lame framerates, and it's not any better than NFS:Underground (1).

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2006, 16:18 

It looks like none of these games are meant for me:( Colin McRae Rally 2005 demo is unplayable too. The moment I hit accelerator after 3-2-1... countdown the game literally fast forwards through the whole track in a split second and goes to the race end screen. Weird. NFS - Porsche Unleashed is even older than this and runs flawlessly, I don't get it.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2006, 17:58 

I downloaded the NFSMW demo and tried installing it. The install file aborted saying that I need Direct X 9.0c which I have. dxdiag even tells me I have 9.0c and all other games work just fine. If they can't even code the installer properly, I wonder how well the game is even coded.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2006, 18:53 

Colin McRae Rally 2005's kicks serious ass.

NFS:Most Wanted sucks imho, mainly because it's got really lame framerates, and it's not any better than NFS:Underground (1).

its okay on a sli rig :) still probably sloppy coding as to why it is so slow and occasionally stuttery. its not that gorgeous