Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 21:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Shadowrun
PostPosted: 30 May 2007, 23:07 

The game is out... it's a really great FPS that takes me back to my TF days. I was going to wait for TF2 or Quake Wars, but this looked too interesting to let slide...

The magic powers add a lot to the game and it plays rather differently from most FPSs... Not to an amazing degree, but enough to be interesting. The graphics are a mix of awesome and average, depending... a lot of textures look super-consoled, but others look great and the general look and feel of the game is impressive in a crisp and clean way.

One thing PC gamers might hate is the use of a console-style "accuracy circle." When motionless it's small, when moving it gets larger... Most console game ports (Lost Planet, Rainbow Six Vegas) ditch this scheme when porting to the PC, but Shadowrun has kept it, most likely because you can play against 360 gamers and they want it to be somewhat fair.

The game supports widescreen natively in both 16:10 and 16:9 ratios... 16:10 resolutions seem to be letterboxed though in a 16:9 frame, such as 1680x1050, which is what I am playing the game at. FOV appears to be correct and Hor+ though, which is great.

PostPosted: 31 May 2007, 00:59 

IGn said regardless of using the best video cards and CPUs, theysaid it loooked bad compared to the 360, is it true?

PostPosted: 31 May 2007, 01:23 

I don't have the 360 version so I can't compare them... The game does have a detail setting, high resolutions and AA up to 12, so I can't imagine the 360 version looking better... Like I said though, I can't be sure. The game looks good though, for the style it uses.

Also, it seems I can only play on dedicated servers? The online options and game finding ability is strange so I have to mess with it and see what's what, but I've been trying to play quick matches and I get a message that says "you need a multiplayer enabled account"... what? PC to PC is supposed to be free... I would not have bought it otherwise.

PostPosted: 31 May 2007, 04:09 
Editors
Editors

I heard good stuff about this game. I think I will like it.

I liked Jedi Knight FPS games because you had your force powers to mix things up. Also it incorporated using them as part of problem/puzzle solving. So I hope this game can do the same.

PostPosted: 31 May 2007, 04:15 

I don't know about puzzle solving but it certainly makes the game extremely "thought based"... which is to say, spawn a "tree of life" in the wrong place and you'll just heal the enemy and allow them to make a camp, then get booted from the game for being an idiot.

Screenshots to show resolution and anamorphic cutscene... the game looks a LOT better than that, it's a barren training level. Also, as shown, the game caps your fps to 30 ONLY when V-Synch is enabled. That was the main reason I grabbed these real quick, 'cause rumors were spreading it was capped no matter what.

PostPosted: 31 May 2007, 09:25 
Editors
Editors

I'll definitly have a look if I can find it on the net :P

My list of games to play is piling higher and higher, I need to hurry up and beat tomb raider legend so I can move to the next game.

PostPosted: 31 May 2007, 10:04 

I'll definitly have a look if I can find it on the net :P

x2 I will also be getting vista because of games like this :/

PostPosted: 31 May 2007, 10:51 
Editors
Editors

From your screenshots at least, the 360 version looks pretty much identical, but with minor changes to the HUD to incorporate button positions on the controller.

The teleport skill will be lethal in the right hands I'm sure.
I've only done the first 2 "Chapters" of training so far.

This should be good on Live, but i can imagine PC players punishing 360 players, mainly because of the teleport skill. Imagine running towards someone, teleporting so you end up just behind him, and then whipping round 180deg to shoot him in the back. That's a slow as hell task on the 360 as you turn your view around. PC players can flick the mouse round instantly and get a whole magazine out before a 360 controller's caught up. Then they could teleport back the other side and do it again.

On a side note, I love the sniper rifle.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 31 May 2007, 23:34 

Glad to see someone else digging the game... I'm having a LOT of fun with it but it's got such a negative impression to overcome in the PC community simply because it's a 360 game as well and requires Vista.

Oh, and there's an interview on IGN today where the developer says the 360 and PC are identical except the PC does not have motion blur.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2007, 23:19 
Editors
Editors

Vista only... yeah that will give a game a neg rep id think.

I cant think of any reason it would have to be vista only code wise, so it sounds like an evil way to force everybody to vista. This is not the first game eather.