Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 00:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Supreme Commander
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2007, 10:50 
Editors
Editors

Who has it, and what do you think of it?

Then will it run well on 2gb ram 2.8ghz single core opteron, and a 7800gtx?

Finaly how does it compare to say starcraft/warcraft??

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2007, 12:53 

From what i understand, this game brings every single computer built today to it's knees.

That being said, the beta was fun, although performance was abysmal.

GFX card and RAM is good, single core not so good, it'll run fine but don't expect to be playing against many AI.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2007, 18:08 

It'll do just fine.

And yeah, it likes big pc's. Runs max detail at decent fps on mine though (see sig), I wouldn't really call that bringing it to it's knees.

Great game, probably best RTS out there. Where a bang really is a bang (nukes ftw!). Units are big and bad. Some weapons have map-wide range, forcing a counterattack from your enemy (either that or they'll slowly be pummeled to death). Nukes are devastating (instead of the RA style stuff that wouldn't even dent buildings), but in this game you can also build defenses to shoot them out of the air before they hit, isn't that nice :)
Also, and army actually means an army in SC. 30-40 units are pretty standard attack groups, and they usually get battered by any half decent defense. Trick is to keep 'em coming, or bring in the tactical weapons. These are often hideously expensive, but well worth it.
SC offers tactical options other than 'who can pump out the most units quickest', although that one is still a possibility should you want to :roll:

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 05:40 
Editors
Editors

Cool, it may run better on my notebook not sure. I know its a very cpu heavy game.

My notebook in gaming mode runs a E6700 @ 2.93ghz, but the video card is "only" a 8600GT (512mb) so I am just guessing that it will be behind the power of my desktop 7800GTX, but the cpu will be much faster.

I just wanted to know how it will run on my desktop as I wont have the notebook for another week yet. Yes sad isnt it when your laptop can beat your desktop....

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007, 17:21 

Actually I think all single core CPU's get absolutely crushed by SupCom once there are a lot of units in the world. It's pretty much a general consensus that dual-core is pretty much required to enjoy the game.

That said...

I have been completely underwhelmed by SupCom. I don't know what it is. But I can't stand the damn game. What a waste of $50. The graphics are pretty terrible and the units aren't particularly interesting. The best thing about the game are the CGI cutscenes, but even those exhibit a bug when displaying it at 1920x1080. There is a black bar running along the bottom of the cutscene that just annoys the hell out of me.

I used to think I hated RTS games, but then Company of Heroes came along and reinvigorated my interest in the genre. I must have still been high on CoH when i went to go buy SupCom. Now SupCom is reminding me why I hated RTS's. I want to try CnC3, but I am scared that I will regret it.

SupCom gets two big thumbs down from Gabbo.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2007, 20:41 

I like the graphics in Supreme Commander, actually. The graphics style is generic sci-fi, but being able to zoom in and out freely is very cool. The interface is also very powerful, and the unit AI is good.

Overall, I don't really like the game, though. Defending is way too easy - playing offensively is very frustrating and difficult for new players. The game's really quite complex, and this is coming from someone who usually thinks he "pwns" at a game after only a bit of practice. ;) Because your armies can get so f***ing large, and the maps also offer so much freedom, it's damn hard to make optimal use of all your resources. Supreme Commander is newbie-unfriendly and is a truly "hardcore only" RTS.

The single-player part of the game is okay, but nothing special. The multi-player can be fun if you're willing to really invest a lot of time practicing. I much prefer Company of Heroes - it's fun right at the start, and you can enjoy multi-player even if you're a newbie. :)

As for the performance, it's improved a LOT through all the patches which have been released since the game went gold. It performs quite well now, even on my system (at least in smaller battles).

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2007, 04:46 

ViciousXUSMC I like SupCom. I didn't play it nearly as much as I thought I would however I just got a 26" display and now the game doesn't feel claustrophobic as it did on my 21" CRT. Yes the patches have greatly improved the game's performance and reports are that the expansion pack and/or coming patches will give much greater performance improvements too.

If you like RTS games, give it a shot. My feeling is that the expansion pack will more complete the game.

Yes, SupCom works well in widescreen mode @ 1920x1200! :)

ps. your computer specs look fine for the game.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2007, 04:50 

ViciousXUSMC one more thing to note. Try TA:Spring (now called just 'Spring'). It's a free, open source clone of Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander's predecessor. If you like Spring, you'll probably like SupCom. SupCom is a whole new level compared to Spring though. One thing I like Spring more for though is the multiplayer interface though GPG Net (for SupCom) is getting better every month.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2007, 09:19 
Editors
Editors

Thanks I'll have to look into it.

I will probably be playing SC on my 15.4" laptop :P so if you felt closterphobic on a 21" im going to be in for some fun :P

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 19:29 

I used to think I hated RTS games, but then Company of Heroes came along and reinvigorated my interest in the genre. I must have still been high on CoH when i went to go buy SupCom. Now SupCom is reminding me why I hated RTS's. I want to try CnC3, but I am scared that I will regret it.

CoH isn't really a 'strategy' game so much as it's a 'tactical' game. Small battles, tons of micromanagement required. Top notch micro with a few key units will win the game for you, it's won hundreds of multiplayer games for me.

Supreme Commander is the polar opposite style of game in the genre, the epitome of real time strategic games. Spending even a little too much time on the micromanagement will lose the game for you against an opponent that knows what they're doing. Losing a battle in SupCom is nothing, if it buys you enough time so that your Tier 3 reactors and massfabs come online and your experimental units get a 20x production boost.

In SupCom, you know you're playing the game right when you spend more time at the zoomed out views where your units are represented by 2D icons rather than 3D models. Even more right when you're zoomed out to that point on both your monitors, haha. Hopefully more games from the genre start to take advantage of dual monitors. Even in Company of Heroes it would be a nice advantage, I never even use the tactical map, but having it up all the time on a second monitor would make it indispensable.

I go between the two, CoH when I want the fast and frantic action of micromanagement and the extreme graphics, and SupCom when it's armchair general time or I feel like having my socks blown off while watching a replay of a gigantic battle from ground level, which is where I'm never usually at during an actual game. I'm far better at CoH than SupCom unfortunately, but that's because it's easier to write off a 30 minute multiplayer match than it is to write off a 2 hour one. Although there have been a few 90 minute CoH games...those were some big replays.

So Gabbo, you probably do still hate RTS games in general. CoH is one of the games in the genre that break the mold, like Myth did 10 years ago. SupCom is one that refined the mold that Total Annihilation created at about the same time as Myth came out. The game names have changed, but it's still a micro vs macro management argument.

Also, never try C&C3 if you expect multiplayer to make the purchase worth it. The single player is entertaining, but both Supreme Commander and Company of Heroes are far superior in the multiplayer department. Far, far, FAR superior. And they tend to match it in the single player, aside from having a badass character like Kane. C&C has that element locked down hard. Save your money for CoH:Opposing Forces or even the SupCom expansion (which you might actually like, believe it or not).