Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 20:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 01:24 

Not asking anyone to discuss closed beta info as it violates the NDA but I guess you can say you're in the beta without getting in trouble. Just want to see if any other member are in and maybe we can fleet up or at least wave at each other if we happen to pass by ;-P

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 01:28 

How the hell do you get invited to the Star Trek: Online beta? I wanna sign up, something i've been looking foward to for a while (like StarGate).

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 01:52 

I applied but never heard anything... I assume it was because my questionaire answers made me seem like a Trek fanboy and they want more casual people to like the game.

Side note: finally watched the new movie and it was terrible.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 01:52 

How the hell do you get invited to the Star Trek: Online beta? I wanna sign up, something i've been looking foward to for a while (like StarGate).

You can signup on the main website.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 07:49 

I applied but never heard anything... I assume it was because my questionaire answers made me seem like a Trek fanboy and they want more casual people to like the game.

Really??? I loved that movie, I thought they did a fantastic job.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 08:28 

[quote]I applied but never heard anything... I assume it was because my questionaire answers made me seem like a Trek fanboy and they want more casual people to like the game.

Really??? I loved that movie, I thought they did a fantastic job.

It was an OK Sci-Fi movie... had some editing issues I thought, but fun and enjoyable. It was not a Star Trek movie though.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 18:58 

To each his own on the movie itself but you have to admit that their cast selection is pretty top notch and Spock prime rules ;-P

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 19:00 

To each his own on the movie itself but you have to admit that there cast selection is pretty top notch and Spock prime rules ;-P

Yeah, the new Spock was probably the highlight of the film. I just personally have issue with rebooting a series to be more dumbed-down and fast-paced, it feels like it is not the same series, and it has no continuity, so why call it Star Trek? I expected a Star Trek movie and didn't get one (technically I didn't expect one which is why I took so long to see it despite being a Trekkie).

They did the same thing with Bond, the new movies are fun Bourne-like spy movies, but they are not Bond movies. Why call them that?

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 19:48 

They did the same thing with Bond, the new movies are fun Bourne-like spy movies, but they are not Bond movies. Why call them that?

Old, stuffy Bond, or new revitalized Bond. I preferred the new revitalized, and that means Pierce for me. The old Bond movies were cool for the gadgets, but it's laced with era dialog that is boring, and there's decidedly less action. I loved the Bourne series, and sat down one day, and watched it back to back, 9 hours later, I was happy.

Star Trek has been kind of hit or miss for me, even though I absolutely love TNG and Enterprise, I found Voyager and DS-9 interesting enough to hold me over, and TOS was wayy too... I guess the term is 'campy' even though I would say 'retarded', for me. The success of Enterprise in creating an engaging pre-Kirk story has captured my interest to watch the introduction of Kirk in the new movie. The TOS movies I loathed, and the TNG movies were hit or miss, some I could bear to watch, others I was just sucked in.

Back on topic, I'm waiting to get in on this STO Beta... I've wanted to fly my own Trek ship before, and have with some other games, but they weren't as fun. I currently fly spaceships in EVE online (and enjoy it very much), so that'll be my comparison for this new fledgling game.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 19:59 
Insiders
Insiders

Whoever gets in I'd like to see them press them on surround screen capability. It'll be most likely a MMO I eventually pick up. I don't like the everyone is a Captain nonsense though.