Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 22:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions about wow
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 00:29 

I am considering starting Wow but i have some questions to ask and i trut your judgement/guidance.

1)I dont really understand...

Do you pick a realm then make characters in that realm then decide on them if you are going to be pvp or pve or whatever else you cant be?? or do choose a realm then a playing thing (I mean pve or pvp) then all the characters you make have to play in there???

2) is it horde or alliance all the time??

I mean do you pick one then you are stuff in that group forever or can you make different characters in each ?

3) is it really worth the money ?

for me its like ?8 a month $15 atm i think cos of exchange rate. As well as the ?20 to actually buy it.

thanks

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 00:41 

You pick a realm. There are multiple types of realms: PVP, PVE, RP, RP-PVP.

If you make an alliance or horde character on a realm, you can only make other characters of the same faction on that realm. You can pick a different realm to make a character of a different faction.

As to whether its worth it? Depends on your style of game. At 70 all you do is grind rep, and do raids. Journey to 70 isn't bad, but it completely changes at 70 :P.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 02:25 

I say just forget about wow, your looking at easily 300 hours just to get to level 70

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 13:46 

In WoW, realms = servers. You can make a character on any realm corresponding to your WoW region (i.e. if you buy the EU version you can't play on US servers).

You should read the WoW FAQ for more information about realm types: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/realmtypes.html

If you make an alliance or horde character on a realm, you can only make other characters of the same faction on that realm. You can pick a different realm to make a character of a different faction.

That's only true for PvP servers. There's no such restrictions on regular servers.

Is it worth it? Only you can answer if it's worth it to you. You could download the trial to find out.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 16:23 

I say just forget about wow, your looking at easily 300 hours just to get to level 70

Not true. If you're going 300 hours, "you're doing it wrong."

PvP realms are the only ones where you can't make characters on both factions; you can make both Horde and Alliance on PvE. You can also choose to play on as many realms as you want, but there's really no reason for that.

I played it for about 2 years and found it very fun (I did end-game raiding). Depends on personal preference (duh) and what you're looking for in the game. Get some friends to play trial with you and I'm sure you'll have some fun.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 18:33 

WoW is fine just stay way from end game >.<
play on a normal RP realm and your be fine

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2007, 18:52 
Editors
Editors

I'm sure you're replying to a spam post guys.

If he says otherwise then I'll apologise.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2007, 07:12 

I'm going to give a non bullshit honest explanation about WoW,I'm going to be very blunt .. prepare yourself, please note my comments are purely neutral but come from someone with a tremendous amount of experience in the game.

I've played WoW since beta, I've quit 3 times and returned 3 times.
I have literally done everything pre Expansion Pack.
Yes I know it's utterly pathetic, I agree, but I'm frigging addicted.
I have 3 70's and I'm working on my 4th right now *yes I'm serious*

It is an MMO, it takes an insurmountable amount of time to accomplish anything, MMO's are not for casual gamers.

If your the type of person who gets addicted to games easily stay the **** away from WoW, I honestly really do mean that. WoW messes up lives, I've seen incredibly stupid shit happen over this game, Friendships dieing, people flunking out of college... I don't need to say anymore I assume. Their is the arguement that it's the person's fault and I agree, but we should be smart enough to know if Crack is addictive.. don't try it .. same for people who get hooked on Games.. and remember.. WoW does NOT end.

If your goal is to reach max level then you need to realize your farrrrrrrrrrrr from done at 70, the game just begins at 70. If you decide to do End Game then prepare to waste every night for the rest of your life with 5000000 other people you don't know just so you can have a bigger E-Peen and have advantages Gear wise over casual gamers. *I warned at the top I'm giving a non bullshit explanation about WoW*.

At 70 *if* you start End Game the game then becomes an Obligation and therefore looses all of it's *fun*. You will get to the point where you think of excuses of how to not log on for your 7th raid that week when in reality it doesn't matter b/c there's ALWAYS those few/one person who LIVES for WoW, they're entire life revolves around the game so they will try to break your ego down every chance they get simply b/c you don't dedicated your life to the game.

But if your the type of person who can casually play it then I actually /applaud you b/c your lucky.

I am now going to say something no one ever says, Pick what YOU WANT to play, do not listen to what everyone else says about a faction, pick w/e you want and have fun, it's that simple.

The one truth that most people don't understand is that Alliance since is has the "pretty/good" races tends to attract younger people as well as it does have the more "lively" starting areas. Horde has it's share of morons though.*I have had alliance and horde on the same server on many servers and I have noticed what I said above, I had many accounts at one point*

1) Do you pick a realm then make characters in that realm then decide on them if you are going to be pvp or pve or whatever else you cant be?? or do choose a realm then a playing thing (I mean pve or pvp) then all the characters you make have to play in there???

Explanation is at the bottom, Yes you make a character on a server and it stays there, as of a year ago if a toon is at least lvl 10 you may pay $25 to transfer it to another server, You may not transfer a RP toon to a PVP Server b/c bliz respects PVP servers more b/c you will have to put up with being ganked constantly *ganked = opposite faction killing you, normally a much higher level*

2) is it horde or alliance all the time??

You can make 10 characters on each server, But on PVP Servers you many not make Horde and Alliance toons at the same time on that type of server.

3) is it really worth the money ?

honestly, if $15 a month seems like allot to you then don't play.

the Expansion Pack will cost you $50 also.

Despite ego's/complaints and all that nonsense The simple truth is this, RP realms are for people who want to ignore reality and talk in third person.
*I am not putting Role Player's down*, Be warned, RP servers are filled with people that do not care about they're skill at the game/class they are just there to act like they are actually in WoW as if it was real.

PVP realms are for people that like to engage in combat with other players

PVE Realms have no PVP but are not RP realms therefore you can talk about reality without pathetic morons reporting you.
*I was once reported for logging on a friends RP realm and saying Happy New Years a year ago and I was reported for reminding RP'ers about reality, it's sad*

RP + PVP Realms are for RP'ers who like to randomly pvp.

Normal Realms are the same as PVP but You must be flag'd for PVP to PVP. [/b]

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2007, 20:35 

WoW came out in 2004. If you are going to start a new game, and are willing to throw down some money plus a monthly payment, then get something new. I played WoW for the first year it was available. It was an amazing game, but not anymore. Slowly got worse and worse.

I have moved onto bigger and better things, it seems MMORPG's are only good for the first 1-2 years of their life, then they become outdated.

Plus the graphics in WoW are so dated. Two expansions and no graphics engine updates, bye.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2007, 00:08 

Most people do not play WoW for its graphics. Blizzard has always aimed for a broader audience by reducing required specs. It could also be considered an art choice. If there's any reason you shouldn't play WoW, graphics should be at the bottom of that list.

That said, you would do well to have a decent graphics card for end-game. An ass-ton of memory is obvious. :>