Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 21:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2007, 02:40 

It's raining games! :w00t
ShackNews is reporting a November 6th Release date for the PC version of Gears of War.

Have you been holding out to play Epic's latest Xbox 360 "exclusive" on the PC? Get out your calendar: Gears of War for Windows makes its way to stores on November 6th.

The game will feature five new singleplayer chapters, a new "King of the Hill" multiplayer game mode, three new multiplayer maps, a game editor, and the first and last showdown with the infamous Brumak boss. Also included will be all of the Xbox 360 downloadable content released thus far, for a total of 19 multiplayer maps. For more information and impressions, check out our full preview.

I looks like this will be the first Epic U3 game to test adjustable FOV settings.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2007, 02:57 
Insiders
Insiders

I love the fall - damn those leaves.

Good to hear a date.. although I'm sure it's be a littel luckluster by PC gamers' standards, it still look keen.

Plus of course i'm crossing my digits that it'll either have included hor+ or at the very least some angel from the WSGF community.

Then again.. being a port.. i dunno.....

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2007, 21:30 
Editors
Editors

It'll be vert-neg. Of course. :roll:

And I find myself utterly underwhelmed by this title - a shame as I was quite enthusiastic about it at one time.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2007, 00:12 

I was excited to hear this title is coming to PC despite some reviews indicating it's story was a bit weak and the gameplay linear. Sounds like it won't be a lousy port job like so many that go from console to PC as far as movement controls. I'm not sure I like that part about the added recoil and weapon inacurracy though. I hate having to waste ammo. The extra content is encouraging though. I really like that Epic has managed to keep the sys reqs low too, including shader 2 support.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2007, 02:21 

I have a quick question on this game:

I'm fairly interested it checking it out, and, with most games I am interested in, I try my best to know as little about it until I play it. I'm sure you understand...

But I believe most videos I have seen of this game in action have been third-person perspective, like from a camera about and behind. Can this game do (and stay at?) first-person perspective?

If it is third-person throughout, I don't quite get the advantage. It can't help game performance (fps, for example), that doesn't make sense to me... I would think a shooter becomes more difficult when in third-person versus first-person?

Simply put, I am not sure I am interested in a third-person shooter, but if someone can say it is first-person as well, or can explain the third-person reasoning, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2007, 02:40 

It is much easier in 3rd person.

And yes, there is no first person, it's third person throughout.

However 3rd person allows you to see who's behind you (to a point) and also around corners.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2007, 08:51 

There are advantages both ways, closer views/more intuitive movement in 1st person, better view of surroundings in 3rd person. It depends a lot on what you're used to though and how far behind the cam is in 3rd.

I usually prefer 1st person but sometimes when the FOV is too low it bugs the crap out of me. A 3rd person with just the right cam positioning is sweet, though I've yet to see a TPS that doesn't have finicky camera angles near walls and such.

Anyone that has played a lot of shooters knows why most of them are in 1st person online, because you'd get pwned a lot when the 3rd person cam screws up when taking cover near walls and it's a lot harder to make tricky jumps in 3rd.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2007, 09:50 

I know of one game which is better to play from 3rd person than 1st. command and conquer Renegade. In fact if you ever watch any video with sniper wars you will see, no one is playing with first person. It has a great 3rd person camera.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2007, 15:13 

Right now I'm taking a run through Tribes Vengeance on Hard difficulty. I'd forgotten how fun the game is. It's one that is good in either 1st person or 3rd depending on what you're doing at the time. 3rd person really looks cool while you're jetting and skiing too. I've never dared to play it online though, one of the harder games to do that with.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2007, 15:17 

Tribes Vengeance is neat, I got stuck on one of the final levels and haven't managed to finish it though.