Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 10:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 04:36 
Insiders
Insiders

I am talking about the Steam versions, BTW. I'm just wondering if there's any way to make them runnable without needing Steam. I've found ways to make Steam versions of non-Valve games work without Steam (Doom 3 for instance), but not these.

PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 04:48 

I am talking about the Steam versions, BTW. I'm just wondering if there's any way to make them runnable without needing Steam. I've found ways to make Steam versions of non-Valve games work without Steam (Doom 3 for instance), but not these.
I know there is, but I'm unsure how. A long time ago I found a cracked .exe to run them without it, but that was a long, long time ago.

PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 05:05 

Depends whether you mean legally or via copyright infringement. The latter would be the case using hacked exe files (Cracks) because the game code has to be hacked into to make them. If you are forthright enough to have bought the game rather than pirated it, I suggest you just right click your Lan connection, click Disable, then choose Start in offline mode when you launch the game. It's wise as well to set Steam to not launch when Windows starts and to play in offline mode you must set Steam to Save account information first. Essentially this way you are not connected to Steam while playing. However, note that you need to launch Steam first with your Lan connection up and check that the game you wish to play is 100% updated.

PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 08:21 

For Valve games AFAIK (No I dont pirate them you Tanuki!) You would need a Steam emulator, which at that point your probably just better off using steam it self.

I PM'd you the link for a how to if you do want to go through with this, It is a lot of work to just not having use steam though.

PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 09:04 

For what purpose? Steam does have an offline mode if internet connection is an issue.

PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 20:36 

[quote]I am talking about the Steam versions, BTW. I'm just wondering if there's any way to make them runnable without needing Steam. I've found ways to make Steam versions of non-Valve games work without Steam (Doom 3 for instance), but not these.

For what purpose? Steam does have an offline mode if internet connection is an issue.I'd assume to eliminate steam taking up memory space.

PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 20:39 

If you can run a modern FPS game without problems, any memory held by Steam is laughable.

But, Hermit, get another GB of memory :)

PostPosted: 25 May 2008, 20:41 
Insiders
Insiders

I also like having the ability to reinstall my games without having to ask Valve's permission every single time.

PostPosted: 26 May 2008, 04:35 

For what purpose? Steam does have an offline mode if internet connection is an issue.

Except after you install a game, you need to go online to enable it. It will then start downloading however many dozens of updates there are for both Steam and your games (before you can select "do not keep this game updated"), and you can't play them until they're all updated, which kind of defeats the purpose of an "offline mode".

PostPosted: 26 May 2008, 05:53 
Editors
Editors

I do not have a problem installing or downloading thru steam but its a pain in the but to have to uninstall a game. You go into windows and when you try to uninstall it opens steam and you have to do it from there.

If you are having steam issues (and I was at the time, the instant crash bug) then there was no way for me to uninstall a game from my own computer, and when I finally did get it out, steam said the files were gone while windows said they were still there. Major pain in the ars.

Still steam is probably better than EA Loader thing, the program is fine, but the fact they said they are only holding our online download for battlefield 2142 for like 1 year before we have to pay for it again totally pisses me off. They did not have anything about that sort of underhanded move in the fine print when I decided to buy a digital download instead of the hard copy of the game.