Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 12:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 23:56 

So i bought this game. But can't really enjoy the gunplay (too inaccurate..). So i found a mod (several, but i wanted to stick with just one @ first), but i have no idea how to install it. Can't seem to make out the readme that is provided. It talks of a map structure that i can not find in my install folder.

Does anyone know if it's possible to install mods at all on the steam version of the game?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Erik.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 00:36 
Insiders
Insiders

The game has a poor, slow start to it. The gunplay REALLY blows goats until you get a hold of an assault rifle, then it gets good. Most mods are just extracted to your game folder. And most come with a readme. One thing to watch for is a game version reference in a system.ltx file that you may need to edit. It's been a while so I don't recall exactly what you have to change.

http://stalker.filefront.com/ is a very good place for mods and help. As a beginner, I'd want to suggest playing it vanilla. But handy mods are:

Sleeping bag mod
no time limit on quests - I strongly suggest this one so you don't have to spend 20 minutes rushing to a map marker. You can take your sweet time. It's easy to get distracted.
SMG in pistol slot

Those three are compatible with the latest patch.

And there's a trick to get both waring factions to see you as friend. And try not to piss of Duty. They're everywhere and are very good shots.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 03:57 

Hi, it's your game so you can play however you wish. But i really think mods should be left until the 2nd playthrough.

This game gives you crappy weapons at the beginning and they're meant to suck and yes you're meant to run away and be evil. You can't take on multiple enemies at once for very long. Just keep playing. You get better and better guns. Once you're in cordon and about to go to the freedom base you'll be swimming in assault rifles everywhere.

I highly recommend playing through without mods, completely vanilla the first time.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 04:34 
Editors
Editors

Hi, it's your game so you can play however you wish. But i really think mods should be left until the 2nd playthrough.

This game gives you crappy weapons at the beginning and they're meant to suck and yes you're meant to run away and be evil. You can't take on multiple enemies at once for very long. Just keep playing. You get better and better guns. Once you're in cordon and about to go to the freedom base you'll be swimming in assault rifles everywhere.

I highly recommend playing through without mods, completely vanilla the first time.

I agree. I finished the game probably about 5-8 times 2 of which I pissed of different factions just to see how it goes, and what missions opened up. Sounds gay, but I had a note book about where I found things, and how I got to find about them (who you talked to or paid for info off) and the 3rd I just was pretty nutural and played the all round good guy... interesting how it all works.

The other times I modded it while I had more fun, it was almost too easy!

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 04:49 

I loved the first installment of this game, but then I purchased this one and just couldn't get into it. Mods and all. It just seemed nearly the exact same game, just less interesting story lines, and more annoying glitches.

Am I missing something? Does it get better more than half way through?

I just got passed the (Spoiler Alert) ZOMBIE INVASION where you had to protect some duty while they were fixing something/or turning something off (spoiler alert) in the swamps. After that I was meh.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 06:30 
Editors
Editors

I think it's pretty fair to say if you haddn't enjoyed it by then, maybe it wasn't for you... I loved both games.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 10:53 

Hmm, considering your input i might try vanilla... Still, it would be good to know if it is possible to get mods to work in the steam version. I can't get it to work. There is a 'mods' map in my install folder, but the rest of the map structure seems different from what it's supposed to be according to the readme's that come with the mods.

Btw the mod i was trying to get to work: PLRsRealisticWeapons V2.5.

It should make guns more accurate. I saw there were a bunch of other mods that changed the whole game, but that's too much for me. Anyone know that mod?

Regards,

Erik

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 11:31 
Editors
Editors

I didn't like it vanilla - got about 70% of the way through I guess then gave up... when I reinstalled it recently I modded the hell out of it with 'Stalker Complete 2009' and a few other mods (I forget exactly which ones) and enjoyed it a lot more.

Was thinking about picking up Clear Sky now that most of the bugs seem to be fixed, but when I found it for sale, the place had sold out of the last one. :( Haven't bothered to look since then.

The game folder should be in C:Steamsteamappscommonstalker shadow of chernobyl or wherever you installed Steam...

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 12:07 

I got a bit further this time. I extracted all the gamedata files into a gamedata folder (which i had to create myself). Then i could copy/paste the mod files into that folder, and i needed to change a fsgame.ltx file. I tried it, but the game crashed. So i deleted the altered files and made steam redownload those files. Now i have a vanilla install again. The mod you talk of has a installer.exe i think. I'm going to try and install that on my steam copy and see where it places the files etc.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 12:19 
Editors
Editors

As good a plan as any, I think. Good luck! :)