Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 20:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Console Peasants
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 03:27 

Just had to post this.... found it on the SWTOR forums about going to consoles...

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7664/45617314zi1mu6copypp8.jpg

Other news...

PC Gaming Growing the Fastest??

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58497

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

Post subject: Re: Console Peasants
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 06:05 

So?... I don't get it? Is this meant to be funny?

Because it's not. I completely agree. A PC game done right is miles better than any console game (even the best console games ever, have nothing over a good PC game)

In fact, I think the perfect combination at the moment is a DSLite and a PC, though I don't own a DS... so whatever... but chronotrigger is about all i want to play on a DS.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 07:05 
Insiders
Insiders

That is from Zero Punctuation: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 10:18 

The problem with the PC vs. console debate is you can't talk about real ways one is better without people calling you a fanboy and acting like that's wrong. Imagine someone with a Honda telling someone with a Porsche that the Honda is better in some ways (which it is), the guy who spent tons of money on a Porsche is not going to listen and the guy with the Honda doesn't want to feel lame or inferior so he fights to the death about his fuel economy.

In the end I do believe games play better on PC and every game would benefit from being made for the PC first. That's fanboy-ish I am told but considering the graphics, control and open-platform benefits I think it is common sense. It is a performance machine, like a Porsche, and like a Porsche it has downsides like cost and convienence, but for pure raw "which plays games better" I think the PC is the obvious winner.

Unfortunately the market has shown us consumers always, always pick convienence and ease of use over raw performance and better attributes. This is why consoles are winning the battle for sales.

And I don't blame the average Joe at all, I do the same thing with movies and music and other such things, I don't care about those things as much so I choose the path of least resistance. MP3 over CDs is a great example.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 16:52 

That is from Zero Punctuation: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation

Good find, I wasn't sure where it was from.

I think the idea that the PC is a higher form of a console is the one I believe in. Both have good things and bad things. However, the console would benefit from better PC ports... kinda like taking a Porsche and making a basic model.

But I think that eventually the two will become closer and closer as consoles become a different kind of PC (as costs for consoles have increased over the years and PC prices decreased...)

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."