Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 21:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2009, 19:30 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm looking for a racing steering wheel and pedals set with a budget around $300. So far i've looked at the Logitech G25, G27 and the Fanatec 911 GT3 RS Clubsport edition set. So far I'm leaning towards the Fanatec because of the build quality. Thoughts? Suggestions?

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 01:24 
Insiders
Insiders

I've purchase the Fanatec Clubsport pedals tonight. At least the pedals part of the equation are figured out now. Now I need to decide GT3 RS wheel or the Turbo S. The only thing I don't like the reviews of so far is the Fanatec shifters. Maybe there is a way just to pick up a G25 or G27 shifter on ebay and mod it for usb.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 18:18 

I heard good things about the Lightning SST shifter but at close to 200$, it might bust your budget.

If you want to build your own:
http://users.hfx.eastlink.ca/~mackaypenny/shifter.html

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 19:57 
Insiders
Insiders

I heard good things about the Lightning SST shifter but at close to 200$, it might bust your budget.

If you want to build your own:
http://users.hfx.eastlink.ca/~mackaypenny/shifter.html

It's probably not in the immediate budget, but I like to go a bit overboard on simpit hardware. If I don't pick up a shifter for the holidays I'll probably get one for my birthday in the spring.

Since I'm a manufacturing engineering student, making my own might not be a bad idea. I've got advanced cnc machining and 2 advanced composites course next semester at school. Plenty of opportunity to machine some quality metal parts and layup some carbon fiber pieces too for some racing sim parts.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 02:59 

If you like to go overboard, this will be a must have:
http://vimeo.com/5365034

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 06:36 
Editors
Editors

for those pedals it seems its best to get one of the accompanying Porsche wheels since they plug together to become one device. Using independent devices is going to limit the number of games you can play.

I would have just gone for the G27 if I had your budget and been done with it. For me I got a nice Logitech Momo deal on ebay just to trail what its like to have a wheel and pedals and I am really happy with my purchases, just wish I had a clutch for proper realistic H-Shifter use but I only had to spend $50 so I cant complain.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 07:03 

for those pedals it seems its best to get one of the accompanying Porsche wheels since they plug together to become one device. Using independent devices is going to limit the number of games you can play.

I would have just gone for the G27 if I had your budget and been done with it. For me I got a nice Logitech Momo deal on ebay just to trail what its like to have a wheel and pedals and I am really happy with my purchases, just wish I had a clutch for proper realistic H-Shifter use but I only had to spend $50 so I cant complain.

on 32 bit windows there's the joyjoy app which can be used to get a single multiaxis joystick from multiple devices

however I have been unable to find the equivalent working on 64 bit OSes since this app is unfortunately in 16bit :cry:

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 09:19 
Editors
Editors

[quote]for those pedals it seems its best to get one of the accompanying Porsche wheels since they plug together to become one device. Using independent devices is going to limit the number of games you can play.

on 32 bit windows there's the joyjoy app which can be used to get a single multiaxis joystick from multiple devices

however I have been unable to find the equivalent working on 64 bit OSes since this app is unfortunately in 16bit :cry:

Yeah I used to use ppjoy to map my wiimote to a gamepad, didnt know it can take multiple inputs though.

Still you said it yourself its a 16bit application so it wont run on a 64bit OS, I have not used a 32bit OS in over 3 years and wont ever do so again.

Plus do you really like to have to tweak and work around everything or do you want it to "just work" I find as I get older I am starting to lean more to the "just work" side of things despite the fact I love to tweak/hack stuff.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 10:35 

Yeah I used to use ppjoy to map my wiimote to a gamepad, didnt know it can take multiple inputs though.

Still you said it yourself its a 16bit application so it wont run on a 64bit OS, I have not used a 32bit OS in over 3 years and wont ever do so again.

Plus do you really like to have to tweak and work around everything or do you want it to "just work" I find as I get older I am starting to lean more to the "just work" side of things despite the fact I love to tweak/hack stuff.

As I recall, you needed both ppjoy & ppjoyjoy or something along this line for multiple inputs.

yeah I partly said it... just in case 32bit was used, and partly in case someone finds out a 32 or 64 bit equivalent ! :wink:

And sure things that "just work" are nice, I share exactly your point of view on this matter. (being VERY old and all that :p )

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 10:53 
Editors
Editors

I searched long and hard on every forum imaginable for a 64bit version or alternative to PPjoy and came up nill.

It was a big program on the wiimote hacking forums because it worked with glovepie to give it gamepad axis so you could play PC games like you would on the wii. A lot of fun.

But the 4gb limitation of 32bit OS and now that there are some faster/better 64bit binaries for programs I use I cant go back to 32bit.

PPjoy is like 8 years old or something crazy like that, I wonder why somebody cant find a way to make a 32bit version of it.

So far the only thing similar I have seen is a xbox 360 controller emulator I had to use to fool Street Fighter 4 into thinking my home built arcade was a xbox controller as for some reason it did not like a generic HID windows gamepad. But it didnt convert inputs to axis like ppjoy it just emulated them into xbox signals.