Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 14:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MW2 MP
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2009, 20:39 

I know the MP isnt great and that there are a lot of problems but I was wondering if there is anyone on these forums besides me that is playing on MP. If anyone is and wants to play with someone else from the community shoot my a PM. Ill be on tonight starting at about 9 till who knows when.

Post subject: Re: MW2 MP
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2009, 22:30 

I know the MP isnt great and that there are a lot of problems

Can you elaborate on those two points please?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 13:05 

Couple things that aren't great about the MP but are functional (which I assume IW figured would be good enough).

Listen servers so one of the players you're playing against will be hosting the game, meaning they will have an advantage against the other players having better rego and having their bullets hit where they're shooting.

The game defaults cl_maxping to 800 meaning for me at least, I was getting connected to games in the US despite being an Aussie. Changing that in config to 120 has meant I've only been playing in Aussie servers (with a couple NZ servers every now and then.

Latency isn't ideal, it can vary from 20ms to 100ms with it averaging around 30-40ms for me (ADSL2+), depending on the host.

If a host leaves a game, you experience a 20sec to 1minute freeze in gameplay while the game figures out who would next be best in line to host the match and then transfers it to that person.

Due to games running off IWNET as opposed to dedicated servers, you don't have admins keeping an eye on games and banning hackers, so hackers are at the moment being left to run and do what they want until Steam (VAC) bans them which can take a couple weeks depending on how often the database (of known hacks) is updated (I think this is how VAC operates).

Also due to running off IWNET and utilising listen servers instead of dedicated, it means games are limited to 9v9 which isn't an issue for most but is for some.

Overall, a lot of the issues don't bother me too much and my online multiplayer experience has on the whole been a positive one but there is definitely room for improvement.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 13:33 

LOL 800 max ping ... :lol: can't even imagine who thought it would be good enough to play, ho yeah a near 1s. delay whatever :roll:

if I had MW2, and if I was a host welcome 4 players @ 150~250ms for everyone (1024 down 128 up ADSL line ...) "legal" cheat anyone ?
since as far as I recall 1ms VS 150ms on CS meant invincibility

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 18:26 

Wow, that was a stupid move, I have played with a friend at his house, two of us on TF2 on one DSL connection hit the pings up to 300-500 area and I must say it is hilarious. You for example shoot someone with a sniper, they move a few steps then fall down dead since it took that long to register.

In regards to VAC they always wait a bit to ban they dont like giving instant gratification.

Think about it this way, I develop a hack, if I go and test the new version since the last version didn't ban me and I get banned insantly, I know to revert to the old version on my site.

If I don't get insta banned I pass it on to a bunch of other people who want to use hacks, then all of us get banned 3 weeks down the road, and since I have done 5 revisions of my hack and passed them all out and everyone updated to the newest versions on release, nobody knows which versions weren't detected.

For Legal cheat they may implement a device that raises your ping locally to 150 ;)

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 18:35 

Try altering some config settings; but do so at your own risk. There haven't been any real reports on how VAC is locking down on config changes so far; or it at all.

There is a nice one on here for setting the maximum latency for the listening server. I set it at 100:

http://www.tek-9.org/forum/call_of_duty_series-46/call_of_duty_modern_warfare_2-68/mw2_config_commands_other_hints-15625.html

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 22:05 

I don't mind the restrictions on number of players. But sometimes it takes 5 minutes to get into a server. Sometimes when im in a lobby it just closes down without a good explanation (unable to connect to host / failed host migration / gamelobby closes / etc ). This whole experience could have been better with dedicated.

On the other hand, when you do get into a game (70% of cases it's not a problem getting ingame for me), it's really fun. The multiplayer mode is really good. What i do miss btw, is more hardcore modes. There's only 2 hardcore modes (TDM and SD). I love HQ and Sabotage, but i want them to be in HC mode.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 23:57 

MW2 has dedicated servers now, a proof of concept is on Youtube.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 09:57 

MW2 has dedicated servers now, a proof of concept is on Youtube.

Come on man, LINK!!!!!

To all the above issues though, they are pretty major downfalls IMO.
20second-1minute delay in finding another host, what a MP DEAL BREAKER

Host has ultimate advantage MP DEAL BREAKER

Higher than 60ping MP DEAL BREAKER

What happens if host has a crap connection? You would have to leave, find another server, wait another 5 minutes to get a game in teh hope that the next HOSt has a decent connection IN YOUR COUNTY!?

What a second rate MP experience it would be.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 11:22 

[quote]MW2 has dedicated servers now, a proof of concept is on Youtube.

Come on man, LINK!!!!!

To all the above issues though, they are pretty major downfalls IMO.
20second-1minute delay in finding another host, what a MP DEAL BREAKER

Host has ultimate advantage MP DEAL BREAKER

Higher than 60ping MP DEAL BREAKER

What happens if host has a crap connection? You would have to leave, find another server, wait another 5 minutes to get a game in teh hope that the next HOSt has a decent connection IN YOUR COUNTY!?

What a second rate MP experience it would be.

"someone" got pissed off at IW and reverse engineered the code to stop pretending to be xboxlive (aka IW.NET) and start being dedicated servers again...

Hilarious stuff. They didn't "take out" the code for dedicated servers, lean, etc. etc. they just changed some 1's to 0's and said "not balanced for lean" (aka FU PC gamers)