Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 17:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Deus Ex
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 05:02 

First off, sorry if the subject has been discussed to death, I'm new at the game. It's awesome. It has sucked me in so far I've got Dragon Age on hold. What a great game. Just arrived at the Vandenberg Control, so I think I'm getting close to the end - so no spoilers please!

Why, oh why, can't they make sequels to a game like this correctly? I've heard 2 is crap and 3 isn't looking much better with the original guys not behind it and some of the other changes in store.

Just leave the game mechanisms alone, write an excellent sequel script (spend money here) and update the look with whatever latest graphics engine suits it. Make it look good, but don't blow the budget on eye candy.

Then - LEAVE THE REST THE FOOK ALONE! Everything - augs, skills, etc. Maybe expand a tad to incorporate new graphics technology, but absolutely minimal.

Why is that so hard to understand? I think companies get it in their heads that they can one up it, or do better. Clearly, they usually (almost always) can't. It's like Morrowind to Oblivion. The former had challenging and well-written gameplay but poorer graphics. Flipside for Oblivion.

WHY?????!!!!

I am going to start a PC gaming software company and develop mature, intelligent games for adults (or teens who are interested), PC based only, and as long as I cover the costs with a slight profit, fook the rest. Set up a forum and let your consumers and player base provide organised feedback and implement it as appropriate. Solicit their feedback regarding sequels. Now I just need a few hundred grand...hmm...:mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Deus Ex
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 11:28 

Write a document detailing every inch of your business plan. (It doesn't have to be very long to achieve this).

Pin it on your door, inside your wallet, next to your toilet etc. etc.

Swear by it. Live and breathe everyday with that document in mind.

Make tiny modifications where you realise mistakes.

Sell it. Test it. Get it critizised to hell and back. Fix it.

Get a loan.

Profit.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 14:09 

Kidding aside, I've actually kicked the idea around a bit. I have some friends I could bring in on the project including an incredible artist/animator and a software/computer engineer. Hmm...

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 08:57 

First off, sorry if the subject has been discussed to death, I'm new at the game. It's awesome. It has sucked me in so far I've got Dragon Age on hold. What a great game. Just arrived at the Vandenberg Control, so I think I'm getting close to the end - so no spoilers please!

Why, oh why, can't they make sequels to a game like this correctly? I've heard 2 is crap and 3 isn't looking much better with the original guys not behind it and some of the other changes in store.

Just leave the game mechanisms alone, write an excellent sequel script (spend money here) and update the look with whatever latest graphics engine suits it. Make it look good, but don't blow the budget on eye candy.

Then - LEAVE THE REST THE FOOK ALONE! Everything - augs, skills, etc. Maybe expand a tad to incorporate new graphics technology, but absolutely minimal.

Why is that so hard to understand? I think companies get it in their heads that they can one up it, or do better. Clearly, they usually (almost always) can't. It's like Morrowind to Oblivion. The former had challenging and well-written gameplay but poorer graphics. Flipside for Oblivion.

WHY?????!!!!

Amen to that.

I am going to start a PC gaming software company and develop mature, intelligent games for adults (or teens who are interested), PC based only, and as long as I cover the costs with a slight profit, fook the rest. Set up a forum and let your consumers and player base provide organised feedback and implement it as appropriate. Solicit their feedback regarding sequels. Now I just need a few hundred grand...hmm...:mrgreen:

That is asking for trouble. Asking for internet consurmer feedback is a friggin mine field.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 19:25 

Just finished Deus Ex. What a great game! I'm going to miss it. :D