Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 15:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Steam UI
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 15:10 
Editors
Editors

Who has tried it?

Who likes it?

Who hates it?

Who has discovered that it deletes their game data? (Race 07/Borderlands/HL2/Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2/et al.)

Who misses the Compact Games list?

Did anyone spot an offline mode?

And after Valve broke offline mode at the weekend with an update, who got the 'fix' today and found that... it doesn't work?

Post subject: Re: New Steam UI
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 15:15 
Editors
Editors

I don't like it. Looks far too imposing. I prefer much cleaner interfaces.

It deleted my games too, which I'm not best pleased about.

And I NEED to have mini-games list to at least make it look slightly neater.

So overall I'm not that impressed BUT I am glad they're at least trying to update it a bit as certain parts were looking a bit dated.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 15:25 
Administrators
Administrators

Dont like it, and in the process they have managed to wipe my entire friends list, leaving with JUST my groups, bit of a fail, but hopefully will be fixed soon. :(

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 17:23 

Who has tried it?

Who likes it?

Who hates it?

Who has discovered that it deletes their game data? (Race 07/Borderlands/HL2/Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2/et al.)

Who misses the Compact Games list?

Did anyone spot an offline mode?

And after Valve broke offline mode at the weekend with an update, who got the 'fix' today and found that... it doesn't work?

I like it.

I don't hate it.

It didn't delete any of my game stuff aside from Half life 1 which needed to download for a few seconds after updating.

I never used the compact games list, I find it to be a burden, an extra steam window, I find it easier to use the tabs in the main window to hop between the games list and stuff like the community site rather than being stuck with what reminds me of IE6 back in the day. Multiple windows.

Steam (eh.. File) -> Go Offline; I would assume that when you launch with no internet it also goes offline automatically. There's probably a launch option to start offline automatically as well.

That being said it does need some major improvements all around, I'm really not feeling the wasted space at the bottom of the friends list, or wasted space in the chat box. Stuff like that. But they seem to be listening to the users and it is infact a beta so I'm definitely excited to see where we end up. :)

Dont like it, and in the process they have managed to wipe my entire friends list, leaving with JUST my groups, bit of a fail, but hopefully will be fixed soon. :(

Yeah, that was actually unrelated but still a major fuckup.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 18:46 

I like it... didn't delete anything, the new game detail stuff is nice.

I wish you could add images and such to non-steam games you launch through Steam though, as that is mostly how I use Steam.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 19:10 

Haven't tried it. I'm usually not much of a beta person.

I have heard someone complain about severe performance issues though. Seems to be an isolated incident so far though.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 19:43 
Administrators
Administrators

Just got home and appears friends list is now fixed... yay :)
as for any layout changes, I dont notice any :| or are the changes in game?

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 19:45 

Just got home and appears friends list is now fixed... yay :)
as for any layout changes, I dont notice any :| or are the changes in game?

You have to apply for the beta, you can check it out here:
http://store.steampowered.com/uiupdate/

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 23:28 

Does anyone know if it scales up the interface in higher resolutions now?

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 01:13 

Just tried it.

Sorta like it.

Don't hate it.

Didn't check on the deleted games (though I'm not playing any single player games in Steam at the moment).

Never used the compact games list.

The addition of all of the detailed graphics for the games list is very nice, and the tile mode listing the games actually made me want to replay some of them. The screenshot background in the "detailed games list" was very nice, although some titles were missing it. The little touches here and there feel nice, but in general it feels very bulky. Detailed, but bulky.

I could get used to it, but I much prefer the basic games list as an option if I'm just playing my games and not browsing through their details. Either that or alter the tiled window to sort out a "My Favorites" list and an "Installed" list instead of just showing everything.