Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 14:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: THQ Collection
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2011, 19:33 

Anyone hitting up the collection? Got anything to say about the games?

$50 Gets you:
Company of Heroes (+Opposing Fronts)
Darksiders
Homefront
Metro 2033
MX vs ATV Reflex
Red Faction Guerrilla (+Armageddon)
STALKER
Saints Row 2
Titan Quest
Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War II (+Retribution and Chaos Rising)

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 05:52 

Man it's like pulling teeth to get an answer! As no one played any of these games? No witty comments? Think it's a good deal?

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 09:22 

most of those dont appeal to me, Where is the X series?

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 12:40 

Homefront is one of those games that I want to try out but I know almost nobody who has it. And then there's the downside to multiplayer on that -- it uses VAC. VAC isn't particularly my cup of tea when it comes to anti-cheat systems out there.

I've played Company of Heroes a few times before. If you know folks who like the traditional RTS (rather than the fast-pace simplified ones like World in Conflict), then perhaps it's a good snag. It's a good RTS in general. Multiplayer is very tricky since it's peer2peer and in the short time I've played, has connectivity issues. Plus it is probably best to get it on Steam, since it takes FOREVER to friggin' patch up the stinkin' game. And I do mean forever. It is painful patching this game up to the latest version. Most of their patches are progressive patches, not cumulative. And they seem to have more patches than the number of Pokemon games in existence.

I can't vouch for the others... but that's as much as I can tell you 'bout the THQ bundle.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 13:45 
Editors
Editors

Hated Company of Heroes. It starts out so promisingly, but drives you insane with frustration very, very quickly.

Liked Darksiders.

Have got a retail copy of Homefront (RESIST edition for £8 a couple of weeks ago) but haven't installed it yet.

Metro 2033 is good, if linear and lacking replay value.

No idea about MX vs ATV.

Can't get Red Faction I or II working. Not played Guerrilla, also have retail copy of Armageddon cheap from Amazon...

STALKER is good, if frustrating at times.

Saints Row 2 is a buggy mess of a console port.

Titan Quest was a buggy mess for me when released, when I raised this issue in the developers (Iron Lore's) own forums the DEVs THEMSELVES called me a pirate, despite evidence (retail box, CD key and shop receipt) to the contrary, so when that developer went under I couldn't bring myself to feel sorry for them. Haven't had the courage to try it since.

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II and it's addons are awesome. Absolute must-buys. Although Retribution isn't exactly amazing - they say six campaigns, but it's the same campaign with different units depending on which side you play as. Which is lazy.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 13:50 
Editors
Editors

Metro 2033 and STALKER are great imo.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 18:27 

Well at least half of them are good then it appears.

But the pack is actually a lot cheaper to get then the individual parts... going to get the pack then. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 22:49 
Editors
Editors

Steam sales are often madness in that way - I ended up buying publisher/developer complete packs instead of just the games I wanted from them one Christmas, as it worked out cheaper to buy a pack with 17 games in it, than it did just to buy two from the pack. Madness, I tell you... ;)

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 23:45 

Madness? This... is... oh wait, we're not talking about that, huh?

I have yet to find a publisher that really would get me to get all their games in a bundle. One of these days tho....

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2011, 01:10 

Company of Heroes (+Opposing Fronts) - Never finished them, just got bored with them.
Darksiders - Have it. Have heard good things about it but haven't started playing
Homefront - So glad I didn't buy this based upon reviews and general forum chatter. Not worth it if the Internet is to be believed.
Metro 2033 - One of my favorite games and well worth it. Linear and little/no replay value but great nonetheless.
MX vs ATV Reflex - One of my more regrettable "Steam Sale" purchases. Controls (KB/Mouse at least) are shit, was neigh unplayable due to the controls. Unsure if it gets better with a gamepad.
Red Faction Guerrilla (+Armageddon) - Blowing Shit up is fun! In RF:A the magnet gun is the first time I've had fun with a "new" weapon since the gravity gun in HL2. Story's are not something to write home about but the gameplay isn't bad.
STALKER - Look at my name. Tells you all you need to know.
Saints Row 2 - Worst. Port. Ever. The Porting house that did this should be burned to the ground. Saints Row The Third is being done in house and with the awesome job they did on the PC version of RF:A I have high hopes for it. SR2 is best left forgotten on the PC
Titan Quest - No idea on this one, never played it/don't own it.
Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War II (+Retribution and Chaos Rising) - No idea on this one, never played it/don't own it.

1x ACER z35p 3440x1440p 120Hz G-Sync - 1x ACER XB270HU 144Hz 2560x1440 G-Sync ~ 1x BenQ GW2765 60Hz 2560x1440 ~ 1x Sanyo 1080p LCD TV
Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown ~ Corsair Scimitar RGB Pro ~ Sennheiser PC350 SE Headset
Uplift 900 2 Leg Sit/Stand Desk Frame with Custom Wood Desktop ~ Freedom WSGF Edition Ultimate Desk Stand v1