Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Jun 2024, 01:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: BSOD/ Dungeon Seige III
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 00:53 

I'd really like to try and play this game but every time I start it up I get a BSOD, root cause is ATIKMPAG.SYS.. I've never had this error before and it happens only with this game, anyone else getting this issue?

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2011, 03:45 

Ok, so the new 11.6 RC2 w/latest CAP solved the problem.

Even at that, the game is a mess, why would a company go and mangle an interface and control system that was perfect as it was? Someone felt their job was on the lie and talked someone else into allow for an 'upgrade' in user interface/spell/items menu.. For instance, to modify your spells, you need to press C, fine that takes you to a main screen with a side bar that has all the player interfaces on it.. however here's where the problem starts, with no real tutorial on the operation of spells, passive enhancements and proficiencies.. you left look at screens that really mean nothing, are plainly overly confusing and have me ignoring them rather using them. even the items (backpack) is uncomfortable to use. stat's show up only when scanning over the object and only over on the other side of the screen to show stat differences.

During the game there are stupid basic tutorials, like use W&S to move E to interact and Q to switch between long range and close ( the one good feature ) however they do not go on to describe how to use spells or equipped items or just about anything else. Weapon control is done with the mouse unfortunately the game also see's fit to utilize mouse movement to move the character at the same time, So you end up with asinine camera positions stuck in walls or barrels at the drop of a hat. The camera it's self, even just walking is at a poor angle, you can't look as far ahead as your weapon will fire.. your blinded to a range of 20-30 yards. Overall the control system is horrid, the first two were just perfect the way they were, tweaking them would have been enough. Finding items in this game, if you follow the Gamma correction setup instructions are almost impossible to see, treasure chests are hidden as per normal, but the texture colour is identical to the rest of the surroundings, which at best uses a 16 bit pallet. critical information is on scraps of paper strewn around the games narrow path ( another thing producers ruined, DS II was virtually a sand box in the size of the 'arena's for each scene, this game you can move from side to side ~ 10 steps before at the wall.. )

The actual game feels like a B level game, cut scenes are one step up from Wii. Movements are Wii level, with a 4-5 sec motion replay, if the character moves at all, textures are laughable. character choices are limited to 4 classes, which fixed genders and a grand total of 2 points to 'customize ' your characters stats with, ( which no explanation of how stat levels are gained, unlocked or useful as the traditional traits are non existent. ). I chose the (female) gun fighter who turns out to be a relative of a campy count Dracula, I'll I could was laugh every time she spoke. The spoken decision tree is useless as the game overrides your choices and just continues the game before you've asked a question.. ( you can tell it's a B game, the longer cut scenes to setup the story are those motion stills, where they take really bad water colour-esque medieval art.. ugly as sin).

as a B level game it gets a 3/5 as a release of a 3rd game in a great series with a proven formula it gets a 3/10.. game is nothing sort of cashing in on a good name..

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2011, 13:00 
Editors
Editors

Thole whole "this is how you move forwards and backwards" is just typical console tutorial fare. Portal 2 made me wince with that too.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 19:03 

like use W&S to move

That could be confusing has anyone posted a video tutorial on youtube ?

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 00:06 

Not sure if your being purposely oblique or you just didn't' 'get' what was being said.

The point being made is that they chose to tell you how to do the mundane and patently obvious movements but chose to omit the speciality keys the company assigned to various functions like using spells and your inherent abilities.