Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 17:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New PC Gaming Company
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2010, 17:55 

Hi all,

As some of you may have seen from my earlier posts, I've toyed with the idea of starting a gaming company. I have taken the idea further and am considering it seriously now. I've got some partners involved and we're testing the waters.

This forum has members who are both passionate about PC gaming, as well as experienced and knowledgeable. Hence, I'm soliciting your opinion(s) if I may.

My main question is -

Would you be interested in (and support) a PC gaming company who built PC games ONLY for PC gamers? No consoles in sight. Games optimized for keyboards/PCs. Intelligent games, aimed at an adult crowd (M rated). Graphics good to high quality but second to gameplay, story and engine. We would focus only on PC games, likely single player.

My/our inspiration for the company is thus. We're older gamers (30+) and we think we're not alone. We're sick of console-based or ported PC games that are either mindless shooters, or poorly executed RPGs, or something in-between. We miss a serious challenge. Adult dialogues. Complex issues. Memorable characters. No hints. No auto-levelling. A game not hindered by an obvious usability slant towards consoles.

It is early days yet, but I would be interested in what you have to say on the matter.

Thank you.
Chris

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2010, 19:05 
Insiders
Insiders

Although, I'm not 30+ (I'm 21), I think this sounds like a really great idea. I am also sick of console ports think better games should be available. Theres not a whole lot I could contribute other than a few bucks here and there, but I do think it would be awesome.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2010, 19:16 

A new company has no reputation besides those who work for it. People will buy your product if it interests them enough to do so. If you are trying to be a successful PC-only company you are targeting a niche market or you have money to burn. Or you are Blizzard/Valve. Or you expect to make a GOTY every time.

You should research some European design companies that make games similar to what you have in mind to see the troubles they face and where they find their successes. It is not easy, look at the issues someone as large as CD Projekt have faced.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2010, 19:36 

If you are trying to be a successful PC-only company you are targeting a niche market...

That is the crux of it. A small, but dedicated, core customer base. Keeping overhead and production costs low to offset the lower income.

We believe you don't need a massive studio or Patrick Stewart voice-overs to make a great game. Why do people still play a game as dated as Deus Ex? I believe it's because it hit all the right targets. It looks terrible by today's standards but I recently played it and loved it. A great story will stay with you much longer than a pretty image, IMO.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2010, 19:36 

Although, I'm not 30+ (I'm 21), I think this sounds like a really great idea. I am also sick of console ports think better games should be available. Theres not a whole lot I could contribute other than a few bucks here and there, but I do think it would be awesome.

Thank you for the input! We're not saying 30+ is our target, just offering our backgrounds as reference. I'm sure there are younger gamers looking for more depth and challenge from a game as well.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2010, 20:12 

That is the crux of it. A small, but dedicated, core customer base. Keeping overhead and production costs low to offset the lower income.

We believe you don't need a massive studio or Patrick Stewart voice-overs to make a great game. Why do people still play a game as dated as Deus Ex? I believe it's because it hit all the right targets. It looks terrible by today's standards but I recently played it and loved it. A great story will stay with you much longer than a pretty image, IMO.

Deus Ex wasn't a small project. The type of games you are talking about making have significant development costs. Especially testing. And if you are planning on making your engine things get more resource intensive.

I am not saying it cannot be done, it has. Just that people who do this tend to live game-to-game and have limited options, if any, if a project is going sour.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2010, 20:27 

Deus Ex wasn't a small project. The type of games you are talking about making have significant development costs. Especially testing. And if you are planning on making your engine things get more resource intensive.

I am not saying it cannot be done, it has. Just that people who do this tend to live game-to-game and have limited options, if any, if a project is going sour.

What I meant was that Deus Ex is still being played today, even with its limitations. Not that it was a drop-in-the-hat to produce, and not that I want to make a graphically-challenged game mind you, just underlining the power of a great story with great execution.

We're aware of the potential complexity and associated costs, and as I said, early days yet. Without getting into too many details, I'm just trying to get a feel for the community's appetite for such a potential game (as outlined above initially) at this point.

Thanks for your ongoing thoughts though...appreciated.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2010, 20:45 

We're aware of the potential complexity and associated costs, and as I said, early days yet. Without getting into too many details, I'm just trying to get a feel for the community's appetite for such a potential game (as outlined above initially) at this point.

I will just say that it is impossible to gauge actual interest in a game that doesn't exist. You are asking about a genre which already has well known support.

"Would you be interested in a PC-style RPG game in the vein of older titles like the Baldur's Gate series?" I think everyone already knows the answer to that.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2010, 20:52 

"Would you be interested in a PC-style RPG game in the vein of older titles like the Baldur's Gate series?" I think everyone already knows the answer to that.

That's exactly what I am hoping for. :wink:

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2010, 20:58 

That's exactly what I am hoping for.

Now all you need to do is deliver. :mrgreen: