Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 08:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 16:50 

Hello Everyone :)

I have not posted very often here and although I do have multiple monitors, they are still unfortunately still boxed up as I do not have my new system yet. My question is pretty self explanatory from the title. I know that Steam is definitely the place to go for when it comes to awesome deals on games. I have heard that it is a lot harder to apply mods and things to games on Steam though. So my question is, since some game need .ini file tweaks, some require hex tweaks and some other methods, is it still possible to access what you need to in order to make games span across multiple monitors while using Steam?

Thank you very much :)

*I am sorry if this is not in the right section, I could not find anything related to this*

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 18:11 

ini screen resolution tweeks would be an unfair advantage over single monitor players so they see that as a cheat. So do most 'official' online servers.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 21:24 

I can understand, though from what I have seen (correct me if I am wrong) but usually games like FPS or such will only display other players or NPCs on the center monitor while allowing you to see terrain and landscapes on ether side. But for the most part I would just like to know if it is still possible to manually do the tweaks necessary to span games across monitors while using Steam. I mean in general for Offline games like Batman Arkum to things like Diablo or other games. I have not used steam before so I dont know games install as they would normally using CD/DVD rom or even online downloading. Can you get access to files and edit them with Steam?

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 22:35 
Editors
Editors

Games are installed via Steam in a similar manner to from a DVD. Everything goes into a directory/file structure that mirrors the DVD install, but in the /steamapps/common folder. Therefore you can edit files as required. If you're playing offline, it's not a worry about Steam thinking it's a cheat or whatever.

Of course, the games that use .gcf files like Half-Life 2, GTR Evo, Team Fortress 2 etc don't have this ease of file access. That being said, they're usually quite amenable to correct aspect/resolution selection from in the game, so it's not an issue.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 23:00 

mw2 is a perfect example of .ini and .cfg mods that get the user banned. if you head over to mpgh.com you can read about the efforts made TO get past it..

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2011, 02:22 

is there a list of acceptable games and tweaks to those games that Steam will allow?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2011, 04:55 

mw2 is a perfect example of .ini and .cfg mods that get the user banned. if you head over to mpgh.com you can read about the efforts made TO get past it..

MW2 is an exception not a rule, They are bending VAC in ways that it was not made to be used and the user experience is seriously diminished because of it. :roll:

is there a list of acceptable games and tweaks to those games that Steam will allow?

Steam by it self is not an Anti cheat, Unless a game says that it uses VAC on the steam store (in the column to the right hand side) then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Most fixes should work with both retail and steam copies. (If it doesn't then there will usually be a steam specific fix.)

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2011, 09:53 

If the non-steam version of a game allows mods/ini tweaks etc. then the steam version allows mods/ini tweaks etc.

There is no difference.

Steam is awesome. :rockout

E.g. my VtM:B install on steam has a community patch applied outside of steam.

Many of my steam games have ini tweaks applied

Many of my steam games have modifications that i've made to the install directory

Many of my steam games have external patches / DLC etc. installed.

None of these have any issues with steam.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2011, 17:31 

Steam often has its own protection implemented into the executable making it impossible for hex fixes to work without downloading and using the retail/cracked executable. Whether or not this causes issues with Steam or VAC I couldn't say, as I don't use Steam.