Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 17:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 May 2007, 10:15 

This doesn't work for me. Every time I set the timing standard to CVT and apply it everything just goes back to default. :?

I'm desperate to make this work so I can play PES6 properly (don't have a good enough hardware to play with a WS resolution).

You need to set the CVT standard. Then change the back-end active and select the fixed aspect ratio scaling. If you change anything and then set the CVT standard it will revert to default.

PostPosted: 15 May 2007, 10:30 

Does anyone know how to get this to work with the nVidia control panel?

These are the only options there are; there doesn't seem to be back end active or anything. I tried messing with horizantal total and vertical total, but those didn't seem to do anything, still stretched by monitor (trying to get a 1280x1024 pillarbox).

Using 160.03 drivers on XP.

That control panel look different. Is that the new one? I always use the classic.

Anyway it looks like this would be the one.

That should be the horizontal back-end active.

Also I just got a new monitor, a 22" widescreen, and I noticed the setting that worked on the old 19" don't anymore. The only one that did was for 1280 x 1024. I will try to get it working on the new monitor and post the results. I have just been a little busy lately.

PostPosted: 15 May 2007, 10:38 

[quote]This doesn't work for me. Every time I set the timing standard to CVT and apply it everything just goes back to default. :?

I'm desperate to make this work so I can play PES6 properly (don't have a good enough hardware to play with a WS resolution).

You need to set the CVT standard. Then change the back-end active and select the fixed aspect ratio scaling. If you change anything and then set the CVT standard it will revert to default.
Maybe you didn't understand me. I select CVT standard first, hit apply and then it just says custom values again. I don't change anything before selecting CVT standard.

My monitor is Samsung SyncMaster 940BW if that's any help.

PostPosted: 15 May 2007, 23:36 

That should be the horizontal back-end active.

Hmm, I tried changing that and it resets itself back to 1280 every time you try to test.

PostPosted: 16 May 2007, 00:52 

Hi, I would like to know how to properly display a 1280x720 letterboxed image on a 1440x900 LCD. I already tried the Nvidia Fixed Aspect Ratio option, but it does not work correctlly.

I am using Nvidia 93.71 Drivers,DVI cable.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 16 May 2007, 01:30 

Sorry about the double post. I forgot to explain that what I want is to have a 1280x720 resolution, letterboxed on my 16:10 screen, I tried the Nvidia Fixed Aspect Ratio solution, but the image is not properly letterboxed, it is letterboxed but I believe the image is not correct, it is too small (big black bars)

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 12:24 

Sorry I haven't updated this in so long. :oops: I have been playing with the setting on the new monitor and I have gotten 1024x768 to work with the setting I posted earlier, but it only works at 75Hz not 60Hz. 1280x1024 is just the opposite it only works with 60Hz (If anyone has any theories on that I would love to hear it :roll: ) Also, to get 1024x768 to work you first have to go to 1280x1024 then go to 1024x768.

I have only been able to test this on what I have; two different monitors, one video card, and one set of drivers. So, I don't have a big test base. Your results may very, and you will probably have to do some experimenting.

One warning: You may mess settings up to the point that you can't see to put them back, so be prepared to dig out you analog cable and uninstall and reinstall your drivers. I had to a few times. :roll:

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 11:58 

I have the garbled screen problem when trying to enable fixed aspect ratio scaling as well.

7900GS
Samsung 931BW (1440x900 native)

I've tried following the instructions in here and playing around with and tweaking countless settings, but have had no luck whatsoever.

Has anyone been able to get it working at all with newer drivers (I'm using 163.44), and if so, would it be too much to ask for a detailed step by step guide?

From what I understand, this whole problem is caused by incorrect EDID information programmed into the monitor - this is apparently a common occurance. Using something like Phoenix EDID Designer you can view this information, which I did, and it reports that my monitor supports a resolution of 1280x1024! (which obviously isn't correct, as 1024 > 900). This all starts to make sense after this little piece of information, because when I try and enable fixed-aspect scaling and get the garbled screen, my monitor's OSD reports that the monitor is indeed running (or trying to) at 1280x1024, which the Nvidia drivers think is the max supported resolution (for some reason the monitor drivers don't seem to come into the equation as much when enabling this option).

If some other people with the same problem, and also people who have no scaling issues but a similar setup, could download this little app and report their findings, it'd be much appreciated.

I tried disabling the faulty resolutions and reprogamming the EDID (stored in an EEPROM chip in the monitor) for the DVI port on my monitor (you can do this with a special app loaded onto a boot disk, or with the registered version of powerstrip), but unfortunately it seems mine is write-protected, so I'm out of luck. A lot of monitors don't have write-protected EDIDs however, so it's definitely worth a shot. However, DON'T ATTEMPT IT UNLESS YOU HAVE DONE YOUR RESEARCH AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING (you could render your monitor unusable, and make it difficult or even impossible to recover). Guides and information here.

ATI drivers ignore the EDID (at least to some extent), so that's why they seem to have less problems, and reportedly there is a way to ignore the EDID with the Linux Nvidia drivers as well, which allows scaling to work as it should.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 22:47 

O thanks actually i was planning to buy nvidia card now this helps me alot to think about it and then purchase one.