Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 12:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009, 19:06 

Ok, so I'm thinking of doing my first watercooled system next year. I know the parts and case and the steps for water cooling a CPU.

But does anyone know where I can study up and find the parts necessary to cool multiple blocks?

Most kits just cover the CPU, but I'm looking at two GPU blocks and a Northbridge block.

Do I need pumps and radiators for each one? Surely there is a system that can handle multiple blocks out there. Or, at least, some kind of routing system.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009, 22:28 
Editors
Editors

Um. Lots of options. There are forums that will give you lots of info (often conflicting) in more detail than here, so investigate the Bit-Tech forums, the XtremeSystems liquid cooling forums... but unless you go totally mad on the amount of stuff you want to cool, a single triple 120mm radiator will do, a single pump, having the lot in series.

Gilly (a member here) has more experience than I in watercooling... drop him a PM and ask. :)

I'll let others jump in now. :)

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009, 22:35 

Oh, no suggesting me. The guy who's running the crazy Peltier-Water cooling system? Heh, just bustin yer ballz man.

Honestly, I looked into building a multiblock system like this. There's a few things you need to account for before going multiblock, single circulation. How much heat does each component output?

CPU will warm the water up nicely, after the first GPU, the water will basically be useless for cooling. You'll more than likely need a setup like so:

Tank -> Pump -> CPU -> Radiator -> GPUs -> Radiator -> NB -> Radiator -> Tank

A radiator between each heat producing component will help cool the water back down and prep it for use again before hitting the next batch of hot components. However, by the time it gets back to the tank, it'll be sufficiently warmed up that you might want to invest in another radiator between the tank and the CPU as well.

The other method is to use multiple circulations, not exactly all from the same tank either, although all from 1 tank does make it a lot more simple to keep them all full of liquid. That gets a bit more complex than I could type up here.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009, 23:09 
Editors
Editors

Oh, no suggesting me. The guy who's running the crazy Peltier-Water cooling system?

I forgot. ^_^;;

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009, 23:44 

How about two independence units; one system fro the CPU and Northbridge and one for the GPUs?

I was looking at the new Zalman LQ1000 case and a couple Zalman Reserator 2s.

Heh, that's only about three grand for a case, cooling kits, and the two 295GTX GPUs.

Then maybe I can finish building it the year after. ; )

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 00:08 
Editors
Editors

OK, I think the next thing to be said is... get the idea of buying a watercooling kit out of your head. There are a few out there that are OK, but by and large they are all dodgy in one way or another. The most common failing of them is that they mix aluminium and copper. Trust me, the last thing you want to see is galvanic corrosion in your expensive new setup. And while additives in the coolant will inhibit it... I'd rather play safe. Go with an all copper setup and save yourself the potential headaches.

Two loops are definitely doable, but requires a little more planning. A loop for the CPU and a loop for the graphics cards works well, yes. You'll need a pump, radiator and probably a reservoir (unless you fancy using a T-line for filling/bleeding) for each. I'll assume for now that you're cooling the 'worst case scenario' with regards to heat output - twin GTX295's and a heavily overclocked Core i7 - a dual 120mm radiator (or triple 120mm) for the CPU will mean that that heat really shouldn't be the deciding factor on how high you get the CPU. (The best triple 120mm radiators, like the Thermochill PA120.3 and XSPC RX360 can transfer about 600w of heat, and a heavily overclocked Core i7 won't really pump out more than 220w unless you're pushing it really hard...)

The GPUs put out a lot more heat, however. I'd not want to try cooling two GTX295's on a 240 rad, but a 360 should cope. I can't remember what the TDP of the GTX295 is... I've got a feeling it's something around the 225w mark? So there you've got 450w of heat dump into the loop. Which is a lot of heat. You always want to make sure the radiators can disperse more heat than the hardware is putting into the loop, or you run the risk of the cooling actually overheating and then heating the stuff they're trying to cool. I would not want to try cooling even a single GTX295 with a Reserator, Mk2 or otherwise.

I'd look at getting a big case... and either getting a shop to custom cut it for you to make it easier to install watercooling, or breaking out a holesaw and doing it yourself. I like the Silverstone TJ07 a lot - you can fit a quad 120mm radiator in the bottom compartment if you move the HDDs up into the 5.25" bays. :D

Either way... do some research into radiators and pumps (although I mentioned probably the most popular rad - the Thermochill PA120.3 - above)... then decide what case you want, and break out the pen and paper to design where you want everything to go. Once you've got a more solid idea, phone/e-mail and discuss it with one of the big watercooling enthusiast shops like Petra's Tech Shop or Watercooling UK - I'm sure they'll be more than happy to explain any questions you'll have there, but they'll be more willing to bend over backwards to help if you've done reseach first. :D

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 00:50 
Editors
Editors

I bet fans are looking pretty appealing now eh ? :lol:

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 01:27 

Is there not a way to do it all in parallel, something like
Code:
┌<─Tank─<Radiator<┐
   └>─Pump┬>─GPU1┬>──┘
          ├>─GPU2┤
          ├>─CPU─┤
          └>─NB──┘

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 02:31 

Is there not a way to do it all in parallel, something like
Code:
┌<─Tank─<Radiator<┐
   └>─Pump┬>─GPU1┬>──┘
          ├>─GPU2┤
          ├>─CPU─┤
          └>─NB──┘

But to get the proper water flow, wouldn't you need standard (medium) sized hoses going to the blocks for everything, with a really large hose between the outer components (out of my league here)?

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 02:54 
Insiders
Insiders

You would, BUT there would be no way to control how much water actually flows to each block. If the water can pass much easier through one block it will, and that block will have more water going through it leaving less for the others. This is why doing it in series is better, you always know how much water is going through it and you can also control which block gets the coolest water.