Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 23:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Test Drive Unlimited 2
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 05:14 

Hi all

I would like to bring your attention to a statement by an Atari representative:
http://forums.testdriveunlimited2.com/showpost.php?p=182966&postcount=11
You can read the entire thread by following the link in the upper right coner.

While the game is still in development, now is probably a good time to show desire for proper triscreen support.
It may not make release, as stated, but at least this will help give them an idea of how many here would be interested in the game and would appreciate support for triscreen setups.

I will guess that the game will be like TDU was. It displays in triscreen, but has all menus and onscreen HUD stretched. It also has a lot of edge distortion. I will assume the new game will probably be much the same, based on the statement.

So, if you are using TH2Go, Eyefinity, Nvidia Surround or SoftTH and are looking forward to this game, please show your support for proper triscreen implementation.

Thank you :)

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 14:34 

TDU 1 did support triple screens. TDU 2 should support it as well.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 14:58 
Editors
Editors

I will guess that the game will be like TDU was. It displays in triscreen, but has all menus and onscreen HUD stretched.

:wink:

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 15:26 

TDU 2 should support it as well.

Note I said properly support triscreen.
TDU didn't properly support it.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2010, 00:26 
Editors
Editors

Had a dabble in this weekend's stress test.

It is Hor+ but with a stretched HUD, so the lesser of two evils.

A few screenshots follow but seeing as it's still in closed beta I'll respect the whole stay silent thing and end this post there, along with the usual disclaimer of things possibly being different in the retail game.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 16:57 

The game has gone gold. Release date is Feb. 8 for NA and Feb. 11 for Europe.
Expect updates to soon follow after release.
A number of features that were in TDU will be missing from TDU2. You can request these and others to be added in at the official site.

Proper Triscreen support may be added, if demand is high enough. So everyone here that would like to see better support for your hardware, please let it be know.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 22:52 

Do you know specifically what features from TDU are missing in TDU2?

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 00:51 

Sorry for the delay, I wasn't at liberty to say. Now that the game is already out (for some now have it), I can say.

No adjustable seats
No TrackIR
Clutch is a On/Off switch rather than a proportional analog.
GPS doesn't display the map and can not pan in and out like it did in TDU.
Steering wheels are poorly supported and simply do not work well. Lots of wandering, hunting and imprecise control when using a wheel.
It is pretty much a direct console port with little to no PC features, such as hot keys for driver names and other annoying icons. It doesn't properly support some PC hardware.
Physics is very tame, so gamepad users can control the cars in its top mode. Which of course ruins the driving experience for wheel users as it is lifeless, and dull.

I read today where some buyers have posted complaints, only to have them deleted and they also got a warning email from Atari to shut about it.
I and many others predicted a flood of complaints, if changes were not made, but they did not listen to us. Sure enough, the complaints have begun, but are being removed!
Atari pushed the game out before it was ready for release and are trying to keep the games condition under wraps.

I was a tester in the Focus Team and have over 200 hours in the game (we tested nearly daily). While the game was made much more stable during the testing, the physics and controls actually went downhill.
In the beginning it was quite good, but gamepad players complained that they couldn't handle the cars. So, rather than to fix a mode for gamepad users, they neutered the physics for all players.

I haven't bought the game. I won't until I see it is fixed and features that have been removed are added back. This game could have been fantastic, but for whatever reason, they chose to ignore the advice of us testers and,,, well ruined the game from a driving perspective.
I'm not saying to boycott the game, but do expect to find a game that isn't a worthy successor to TDU. It is a big step backwards when it comes to the driving.
But hey, you can wave to your friends and party by the pool while you wait for them to fix the driving and put the missing features back in (if they ever do).

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 16:23 

It is true, you can not speak the truth about this game at Atari.
I got this today. I was asked why I felt I wouldn't be happy with the game, if i don't have it yet. my reply is in full between the --------- below.
--------------------

Dear Butch_N,

You have received an infraction at Test Drive Unlimited 2 Forums.

Reason: Illegal Content (posting content that is unlawful, libelous, defamatory or infringes upon any intellectual property rights)
-------
It is still forbidden to talk about the beta.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
[post]313351[/post]
[quote]Just wondering -- how do you know your experience will be aggravation and not enjoyment if you don't have the game? Not judging at all, just asking.

----------------------------
200+ hours in the beta, all without the features I feel the game needs. Towards the end, I only launched it because I felt it was my obligation, not because I wanted to.
I tested at every session, I believe. I was loyal because I volunteered and was accepted, so I did my part. But honestly, after the first couple hours or so I was losing the fun and finding myself frustrated more and more becuase of the lack of standard PC game features.

Not having TrackIR was a pain every few seconds. I have been using it for around 10 years now. I was a major player in getting TIR in race games years ago. When you get used to using something like that, not having simply doesn't cut it.
Not being able to adjust the eyepoint was another pain, since some of the cars cockpit view just didn't suit me very well.
Having to hit ESC and do the menu dance to turn on GPS and Driver Labels everytime I needed them on or off was also getting very frustrating. Keys could do this while we are driving, but they don't.
Couldn't turn off the look to apex, which also didn't suit me. Again, I am used to the freedom of TrackIR. I need to be able to look where i want to look, not where the game makes me look.
Camera shake in cockpit was too overdone (might be less in the retail as a lot people didn't like that).
Clutch is an On/Off digital input with a delay and doesn't act like a real clutch at all. Brakes were pretty much the same, even when using analog pedals.
Steering was sloppy, wandering, hunting and lacked precision (G25).
Handling was too tamed down with no power induced oversteer, even in a car that is notorious for stepping out if you don't control the throttle properly.
The downshifting exploit (go from top gear to 1st at any speed) was added in a later build. It wasn't possible in the earlier stages (car would snap spin if you shifted to a low gear going too fast, like it should).
The big red dot in Police mode took all the fun out of that mode. Can't turn it off.

That was pretty much all that really got to me. But all added together, it really brought down the fun factor and quickly became aggravating. Some of these may have been worked on, but looking at the videos by VVV (and others using the release version), they appear not to have been.

To some those may sound like silly complaints, but they are all very important to me and to the experience while playing. TDU wasn't perfect, but it had most of those. It didn't have the Hot Keys for driver names and GPS, but I know if I was to play TDU2, I would really want them, especially if playing online.

I think everyone that has been on these boards for a while knows how strongly I supported this game. I'm not into the clothes and furniture fluff, but don't mind them being in the game. Nothing wrong with adding the new stuff at all. I would do what I needed to in order to progress, no big deal. But removing and not having the features I consider important, not properly supporting the hardware I have (and in the case of TrackIR not supporting it at all),,, well it just couldn't pull me in. I never would have bought TDU, if it didn't have the things it has. Since some of those were removed in TDU2, I see no point in buying it, unless they are added and it gets better support for steering wheels. To me, the main theme is the driving, but that is where it lost things.

I would buy the game and even pay extra for real PC game features, if they were available. Sadly though, the game is pretty much a direct port made to work in Windows and doesn't really support anything extra than what can be assigned to a gamepad. Even though us PC gamers have 100+ keys sitting right in front of us in the form of a keyboard. Or in my case have a Belkin N52 speedpad sitting right next to my wheel.
----------------------------
All the best,
Test Drive Unlimited 2 Forums

You got to be kidding! There is nothing in that post that wasn't already known, some stated by the devs and others in the videos linked to in this thread:
http://forums.testdriveunlimited2.com/showthread.php?t=20710

Even you said that the limited features were due to not enough buttons on a gamepad. Posted here:
http://forums.testdriveunlimited2.com/showpost.php?p=294365&postcount=42

So, if you speak the truth about the game, you get an infraction. You point out the issues that are not really secret and are seen in the videos, your post is removed and you get a point. They are trying to hide the fact the game is not release ready and anyone that speaks of it, gets in trouble.
However, if you post positive things, you don't get an infraction, nor do your post get removed. I have seen a few by a member named Diablo that has mentioned things a few times, but were only 'good' things. Those post can still be found to this day and some were made months ago.
It is a double standard, in which the truth can't be told openly.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 05:30 
Insiders
Insiders

Some game developers live by the philosophy of if you don't like the reality around you, substitute your own.