Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 00:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2005, 14:01 

EA at it's best! Maybe they should get their heads out of the console games for awhile and think about what got them there in the first place.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 13:35 

Adding to the woes, NO WS support and NO Co-op in BF2. That dropped the rating for me of what truly is a good game.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2005, 05:21 

there is a way to make a co-op mode. Just start a SP server and have a friend join that IP

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2005, 13:27 

there is a way to make a co-op mode. Just start a SP server and have a friend join that IP

I have read this. Still, I believe this can be done via LAN only. The WCC (West Coast Combat) folks have a MOD that will allow Co-op but haven't given that a shot yet. As far as widescreen, doubtful there will be a mod for that. :wink:

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2005, 21:47 

Does anyone know the technical reason the FOV switches don't work? Is it a true limitation of the BF2 engine?

How complex is the BF2 engine and is it actually someone elses engine? It's not Quake 3 or something is it?

What we really need is a virtual weak cylindrical lens infront of our view screen to increase the FOV from 1 -> 1.1 or 1.15..... Then we would need to undo the screen hack to force the 4:3 image to encompass the entire screen.

Basically we predistort the BF2 world with a virtual lens, then we purposely distort the 4:3 FOV to fit the 16:9 screen. Yin-Yang and we are back to the proper FOV without losing any vertical information.

Does the BF2 engine support Lenses or mirrors? two fold mirrors and a cylindrical mirror could also work.......

Alternatively is there a way to mess with the FOV lower down in the guts of the engine? What about multiple screens, does BF support multiple 4:3 screens with different FOV's? We could render two adjacent 4:3 screens and crop the edges to fit our 16:9 or 16:10 ( deference to you 24" guys)
I would probably have to turn down some detail at that point, but I seem to have decent frame rates with my x850pro.

By the way, I'm new to this forum

37" Westinghouse LCD 1920x1080
Radeon x850 pro (little OC for good measure)
P4 2.8 (800) 2Gig Ram

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2005, 22:13 

Your new?? :lol: I kid, I kid.....Welcome.

EA blatantly claims no support for widescreen and FOV change support or editing in BF2. If you read on through this forum you will notice some get it to work, others not so lucky.

Interesting to see your X850 is running well as it should be. I have not been able to get BF2 to function properly since the install of my X850 XT a month ago. I was using OmegaDrivers and it loaded BF2 but graphics would fade out to black (this is a resolve in the ATI 5.8 Catalyst - See release notes). So, unloaded the OmegaDrivers which were based on the 5.7 Catalyst, then loaded the ATI 5.8 Catalyst and BF2 crashes to the desktop right at start up. I will keep debugging. Going to do a complete nuke tonight of BF2 and re-install.

As far as your FOV, good luck. There is plenty reading here about that.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2005, 15:41 

Interesting to see your X850 is running well as it should be. I have not been able to get BF2 to function properly since the install of my X850 XT a month ago. I was using OmegaDrivers and it loaded BF2 but graphics would fade out to black (this is a resolve in the ATI 5.8 Catalyst - See release notes). So, unloaded the OmegaDrivers which were based on the 5.7 Catalyst, then loaded the ATI 5.8 Catalyst and BF2 crashes to the desktop right at start up. I will keep debugging. Going to do a complete nuke tonight of BF2 and re-install.

I'm having a similar problem with BF1942. It worked fine until I installed the 1.6 update. Now I can't play in widescreen without crashing to the desktop. Adding Desert Combat didn't help anything. I actually think DC is a superior game in many ways, chief of which is the helicopter contols and radar. Not having radar when flying into a fog screen 1km away is kinda lame.

One time in BF2 Demo I climbed to the top of the crane and did nothing but "spot" enemy aircraft and tanks. It made a huge difference for our Mig pilots.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2005, 15:55 

I'm having a similar problem with BF1942. It worked fine until I installed the 1.6 update. Now I can't play in widescreen without crashing to the desktop.

One try for a fix is to completely uninstall and remove all relations to the game (Nuke it). EA has instructions on how to do this, if not on the web then request from support. I did this last night for BF2 and walla, BF2 now works. You would be amazed as to the amount of crap a standard uninstall leaves behind. As far as any WS support in Battlefield, that's a hit and miss proposition. Good luck.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2005, 18:26 

As far as any WS support in Battlefield, that's a hit and miss proposition. Good luck.

I'm afraid it's a complete miss. Without an increase in the horizontal FOV you're better off just playing the game on the largest 4:3 aspect ratio monitor, TV, or projector you can find. It's definitely not a widescreen experience when the game simply crops the top and bottom of the game world to fit the shape of a 16:9 screen. :cry:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2005, 19:48 

X-Ray Doc,

If your monitor has a "Full" aspect change you should use that. Stretching and shrinking will abound and I don't particularly like watching shorter, fatter guys and tanks, but beats getting cropped.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 44  Next